Some questions for my S900

Reaction score
Hello all!

New in multi rotor universe, although I learnt to to fly a little on a DJI F550 before, I have some questions to ask to people who knows well those aircraft.

I'm starting a DJI S900 as following for professional use and shooting:

DJI S900
ZenMuse GH4
DJI A2
IOSD Mk2

For the piloting, I've got a Futaba T14SG, and for the battery, a 6S Lipo 12 000 Mah battery. Do you think it is enough power to fly during 15 minutes easily?

Then, I often heard about bugs on DJI A2, and i'd like to maximize the safety of the aircraft and its environment. I found out on the internet some "rescue" kits", DJI is doing one, the DJI dropsafe, and also Opale Paramodels company, which is making a rescue kit for DJI S900. Are there any members here who know this kind of products and give some good piece of advice to help me to make a choice, and tell me if it worth it or not.

Chheers all!

Are you running E600 motors or what?

I have Tarot 4114 motors on a Tarot 810. It is equipped with an H3-3D. I'm running it slightly heavy. I run premium 10,000 mah 6S batteries. It gets 15 minutes flight time but there are only a couple of minutes safety margin with that (I am at first warning).

With your proposed setup, I would expect 15 minutes but not much more. Be sure to do tests with it. Hover it in front of you and wait until the first warning on the batteries. You will probably get an easy 15 minutes but that will be with a non-aggressive flight. Check to be sure, though. For initial flights, keep it local and watch your OSD battery level.

In lieu of tests, if you are on the 15 minute mark - I would be landing it - not trying to milk it back home. It is much easier to go to the airplane and pick up one piece instead of picking many pieces up in a garbage bag.

I would like to hear the issues you alluded to with the A2 - with references if you can find them. I have not had any problems other than ESC calibration which is not a malfunction but the way the A2 interfaces (it is easiest to use a separate rx to calibrate the ESCs).

The parachute systems seem cool but they add a lot of weight. If you use one, it will impact your flight time - probably significantly. Look at what the AUW will be with one on your 900. I suspect you will reconsider. The 900 will fly with a single motor out - the 810 does because I had it happen. A parachute system would only help if you were quick enough (stuff happens very quickly) and would only be useful in a catastrophic failure. In which case the trigger for the system might not be operational. Knowing when to initiate it and making the decision in time would be problematic for me and I suspect others.

Ok thanks for your help.

Effectively, I'm running E600 motors.

I will check the flight time, however, doesn't matter if it's 14 or 13 minutes, but i will test all of that to be sure to land the aircraft as safe as possible.

For the A2 bugs, I have no specific reference, it's just things I heard, especially concerning one or two motors that stopped during flights (and don't want this happen to me). I call that a bug but it could be a bad configuration with the DJI assistant though, as you said.

The rescue kit for DJI S900 from Opale Paramodels is only 600g on a 8 kilos total mass so it's not so heavy, is it? And considering that you can take pictures on a 20m height, I think it is high enough to have the time to open the parachute without a problem, even though you're right it should impact the flight time.

Ghoul said:
Ok thanks for your help.

For the A2 bugs, I have no specific reference, it's just things I heard, especially concerning one or two motors that stopped during flights (and don't want this happen to me). I call that a bug but it could be a bad configuration with the DJI assistant though, as you said.

I had a motor fall off... does that count against the A2? :lol:

The rescue kit for DJI S900 from Opale Paramodels is only 600g on a 8 kilos total mass so it's not so heavy, is it? And considering that you can take pictures on a 20m height, I think it is high enough to have the time to open the parachute without a problem, even though you're right it should impact the flight time.

Actually, in my mind that is quite heavy. Adding 1 1/2 pounds to a machine - even a larger one - usually impacts the heck out of things. 'Have time to open the parachute'. This assumes the parachute is deployed right at the time of failure of a key component. My understanding of the specs on the DJI one is that it requires two switch throws. This would be a decision process. It would take at least a second or two even by crazy quick pilots for even a single switch throw. How are you going to know to do it when the machine is 200 meters out and 60 meters high? By the time you detect the issue, the accident has happened. Of course, if you run out of power at altitude, you could certainly save it with a chute - as long as you still had enough power to trigger the servos. I realize I'm posing the negative aspects - but putting a chute on one and deploying it occasionally would be great fun in itself! Don't want to discourage others - just explaining why I don't have one.

It's your opinion and I respect it! No worry for that, was not asking for saying that a product is better than another! ;)

I pphoned to Opale Paramodels to ask for some more information about their system. It seems very popular in France because of the rules for flying, many multi owners have it in France. It require one switch throw or you can do it automatic, by programming on another separate module. Finally I have ordered one, I'm waiting for it.

Your example is good concerning the deployment, but thought of keeping it at eye for the moment

Hello!

Finally received the rescue kit from Opale Paramodels, and installed it on my multi rotor, here are pictures of it, hope i will not have to use it! ;)

Sq5pQX.jpg

GlMNd9.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers