Some people may get upset over this shot!

Reaction score
Welcome to Kissimmee Florida Gateway airport. Please buckle your seatbelts and return your trays to their upright position.
Thanks for flying!
Kissimmee gateway (ISM) is NOT a "no fly zone" airport!
I got no warnings when I set the waypoints.
This shot is taken from an altitude of 300 feet.

Attachments

• gateway1.jpg
    gateway1.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 1,276
Suwaneeguy said:
Hmm ... first up .. I'm not upset but think I should point this out.
I think that relying on the built-in DJI no-fly zones is not sufficient.
There are loads of airports not included in DJI's mapping but just because DJI didn't map them it won't get you an exemption from the FAA's rules. https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_air ... c_rule.pdf
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Part 91
[Docket No. FAA-2014-0396]
Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Finally, the statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles of an airport to notify the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior to operating. If the model aircraft operator provides notice of forthcoming operations which are then not authorized by air traffic or objected to by the airport operator, the FAA expects the model aircraft operator will not conduct the proposed flights. The FAA would consider flying model aircraft over the objections of FAA air traffic or airport operators to be endangering the safety of the NAS. Additionally, we note that following this 5-mile notification procedure would be read in conjunction with FAA rules governing airspace usage discussed below.

Suwaneeguy said:

Correction: Kissimmee is NOT in the DJI database that restricts you from flying too close to airports.
:eek:

common sense however, should.

Yep. Expected these comments from wannabe attorneys.
I have checked other sources outside of DJI. ISM is NOT covered.
The actual flight was purely for the purpose of the photo.
Once it reached 300 feet, hovered for 3 seconds then had it land.
There were no active planes in the area that I could see.

Unless you're in a manned helicopter, there is no reason why you would be flying in that area
so I assumed it would be safe to do so. And there was no "crowd" of people below it at any time.

Reactions: Kevlar63
Suwaneeguy said:

Again I'm not upset but it looks like you're really stretching things.
What do you mean "checked other sources outside of DJI. ISM is NOT covered"
Not covered by what? It is still an airport.
The FAA guideline seems pretty clear - and you don't have to be a wannabe attorney to understand what they mean by ..within 5 miles of an airport .. with no mention of what kind of airport, whether there is traffic nearby or any other qualifiers.

Why post this picture with that description? You knew from your comments it was going to cause controversy.

mmn said:
You knew from your comments it was going to cause controversy.

BINGO! We have a winner! :lol:

Meta4 said:
Suwaneeguy said:
you don't have to be a wannabe attorney to understand what they mean by ..within 5 miles of an airport .. with no mention of what kind of airport, whether there is traffic nearby or any other qualifiers.

Exactly!

Depending on the wind, it looks like you could have been near the downwind leg of an approach to the runway on the left.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Fly responsibly.

Suwaneeguy said:
The actual flight was purely for the purpose of the photo.
Once it reached 300 feet, hovered for 3 seconds then had it land.
There were no active planes in the area that I could see.

Unless you're in a manned helicopter, there is no reason why you would be flying in that area
so I assumed it would be safe to do so. And there was no "crowd" of people below it at any time.

You have no idea what you're talking about! Unless you were in contact with the tower, you would have no clue as to where any plane was coming from or going to. Stay away from every single airport!

I'd like to jump in here for just a moment......When I first got my DJI 2+ I read all the material, watched the DJI videos and was under the understanding these basics......Within 1.5 miles of an airport there is zero flying, your bird will not even crank up...............Between 1.5 miles and 5 miles from airport you have restrictions in altitude you may fly from 35 feet at 1.5 miles up to 400 feet at the 5 mile mark, then it's unlimited. Is this correct or is there a complete ban on flying within the 5 mile range?

garrock said:
I there a control tower at that airport ???

Not all airstrips are treated the same for the 3 or 5 mile exclusion policy.

It doesn't matter. It's very simple: stay away from all airports.

Suwaneeguy said:
Welcome to Kissimmee Florida Gateway airport. Please buckle your seatbelts and return your trays to their upright position.
Thanks for flying!
This shot is taken from an altitude of 300 feet.
I'm going to call it like it is.

You sir, are an idiot.

KISM is a towered airport, with instrument approaches, located INSIDE it's own class D controlled airspace, and encompassed in the Class B airspace for Orlando International.

The means in which you acquired your picture is illegal, and jeopardizing to our freedoms in this hobby.

QUIT BEING A *******!

And I am NOT a wannabe attorney either, I am a licensed pilot who does not appreciate your lack of respect for the rules, and regulations put it place to protect all of us both in the air and on the ground.

Quite frankly, I wish you had got caught.

Yeah....this post lacks serious common sense. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You are the people I dread buy quads and getting it shut down for the rest of us. Posting it online trolling for negative comments.....just not smart.

Awe come on guys, it looks like a nice little country mom and pop fly in on Sunday for breakfast kind of place :mrgreen: I would be more afraid of golf balls hitting my plane vs a quadcopter :D

7360549_orig.png

You got that right "jim". Mom and pop kind of place indeed.
Hell, this airport is purely a convenience thing for those flyers wanting to visit the area and not having to deal with the super big orlando field.
They might see like five or six flights a day if that many.

Would someone kindly point out the exact, precise law I violated by taking this photo?
I said law, not guideline. Guidelines are not law.

Someone posted a link to a map that shows this airport being a "no fly zone" airport.
Where did this information come from?
I can't find anything from the FAA saying it is restricted.

If my home is adjacent to the airport, it is not legal for me to fly my toy on my property?
I am again pointing out that the FAA has no authority on RCMA and has no authority below 700 feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.