Some Newbie Questions

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Just got the new style Phantom (spring loaded sticks) a few days ago. I've got around 7 flights under by belt and everything is going well. Just one small mishap with some wind and a tree.

I've been reading tons but am confused about a few things. I'm sure you guys can help me clear it up.

My sticks are spring centered. To start the props I pull the left stick down and right and the right stick down and left. I don't remember where I came up with that. Maybe a DJI video.

I read somewhere that maybe starting the motors with the sticks in different positions would cause different behavior? Something to do with how/when the blades turn off with throttle under 10%?

Also, when I let go of the sticks (GPS Mode), it hovers. Is it hovering because the sticks are centered or is there some sort of intelligence trying to keep it hovering like with the gps for lateral movement?

Thanks for the insights!

Chris

Its easier when you think two dimensional. In GPS, once you get the phantom up off the ground and let go of the sticks, it stays where it is. You'll only need to move the left stick up and down if you wish to increase or decrease altitude. In theory, you could fly 6 feet off the ground all over the place and never move the left stick (you would move the left stick left and right to spin, that is all). The way I remember the start up process is Left Right Out In. Move both sticks to the bottom left then to center then to the bottom right then to center then move them down and away then to center and then move them down and in and hold until the props move. From there I let it all go back to center. I give it some thrust (move the left stick up) and let it lift up about 6 feet off the ground. I've noticed that if you give it just a little bit of thrust it will sometimes tip forward. I have prop guards to I'm safe but otherwise the props would hit the cement. I'm not sure if it is a software issue or user issue. I normally slam it all the way up when I take off. Once it is in the air it is safe, on the ground its not.

hurseyc said:
Hey everyone.

Just got the new style Phantom (spring loaded sticks) a few days ago. I've got around 7 flights under by belt and everything is going well. Just one small mishap with some wind and a tree.

I've been reading tons but am confused about a few things. I'm sure you guys can help me clear it up.

My sticks are spring centered. To start the props I pull the left stick down and right and the right stick down and left. I don't remember where I came up with that. Maybe a DJI video.
That is the correct motor start procedure,Maybe you saw the DJI video,maybe you read the manual,maybe you should read the manual.

I read somewhere that maybe starting the motors with the sticks in different positions would cause different behavior? Something to do with how/when the blades turn off with throttle under 10%?
The motors will start if you move both sticks down and out but this will not result in any different behaviour than the other way,as above.
If you go into the Naza software,go to Advanced,go to Motor.There you will see Cut Off Type with the choice of Immediately or Intelligent.If you choose Immediately the motors will stop immediately if you pull the throttle back below 10%,even if the Phantom is in the air.Best to choose intelligent to avoid crashing if you inadvertently pull the stick back to 10%.

Also, when I let go of the sticks (GPS Mode), it hovers. Is it hovering because the sticks are centered or is there some sort of intelligence trying to keep it hovering like with the gps for lateral movement?
It's hovering because there is some sort of intelligence keeping it in place,GPS.

Thanks for the insights!

Chris
Another motor tip;
If you set the motor cut off type to intelligent the motors will take a few seconds to turn off when you pull the throttle stick all the way back but if for instance you crash and want to stop the motors quickly do the same as start up and pull both sticks back and in,the motors will stop immediately.

Ksc,this;The way I remember the start up process is Left Right Out In. Move both sticks to the bottom left then to center then to the bottom right then to center then move them down and away then to center and then move them down and in and hold until the props move. From there I let it all go back to center.,makes no sense what so ever,maybe you should read the manual to refresh your memory.

Ksc said:
I've noticed that if you give it just a little bit of thrust it will sometimes tip forward. I have prop guards to I'm safe but otherwise the props would hit the cement. I'm not sure if it is a software issue or user issue. I normally slam it all the way up when I take off. Once it is in the air it is safe, on the ground its not.
If it lurches that much on takeoff I think your props may be unbalanced.

PTCX said:
hurseyc said:
Ksc,this;The way I remember the start up process is Left Right Out In. Move both sticks to the bottom left then to center then to the bottom right then to center then move them down and away then to center and then move them down and in and hold until the props move. From there I let it all go back to center.,makes no sense what so ever,maybe you should read the manual to refresh your memory.

page 13. http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.7_en.pdf
Left Right Out In.

have you read the manual?

Yes,but you only have to carry out one of the four examples shown to start the motors not all four as it reads the way you wrote it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers