Some good FPV flying today but first dodgy landing....

Reaction score
I took my P2 with FPV setup out today for some "practice". I got almost 40 minutes flying time in total out of two batteries, which isn't too bad with a Zenmus H33D, GoPro Hero3+, Immersionrc 600mw av Tx, and IOSD Mini all fitted, plus I didn't go below 25% battery life according to the iOSD Mini reading. Anyway, I find I'm becoming a lot more familiar and handy with this great setup, taking it up to 95m taking some lovely 360 degree shots of some fine local scenery, and bringing it down to further build up my hand eye coordination with the P2 so ended up spending half the time practicing some general flying skills. So 40 minutes had passed overall, and I was carefully trying to land my P2, brought her down really slowly in a gentle hover, and at this point I'm talking maybe two or three feet off the ground. So I was trying to stupidly be a pro on my third FPV flight and land my P2 on the hard case I bought for it, and well, it ends up with a gust of wind and me not anticipating to counter that and proceeding to bring her down too soon that I end up landing only one end of the P2 on the hard case and you guessed it, she falls on to the floor - luckily only from less than a foot heigh (height of the case). This might sound like nothing compared to other stories I've read but I am usually that bit extra careful and shouldn't have tried to land it on such a small landing area especially with my lack of experience. The actual P2 and FPV setup seem fine apart from a few grass stains that were easily wiped off, no obvious damage to the exterior, she looks like new. With this Phantom 2 being less than two weeks old I was pretty disappointed with my carelessness. However, this is one issue..... I noticed just a couple of hours ago when checking everything that one of the thin antenna on the P2 is bent out to the side, not a crazy amount but definitely much more than it should be. I thought I''d tucked the two antenna both into the plastic frame to prevent this and prevent them being blown around, but this one managed to get free and was bent a little during the fall. It's not ideal I suppose, as I appreciate they should be straight, and I am 99% sure that small "crash" was the culprit maybe just enough to bend it. Has this happened to you before, and what is the best way to straighten the bend out properly in such a fine antenna to how it was before, as the antenna keeps curling after I attempt to straighten it?

which antenna do you have exactly? can you link to it or post a picture? if you mean the tiny little wire that hangs down inside the leg of the Phantom (Phantom RC antenna) then those definitely bend over time, mine aren't straight anymore.

while we're on the subject of landing, a lot of people around here agree that done properly, catching your Phantom is a lot safer than landing... as you've seen ANY lateral movement when you touch town and your Phantom will probably tip over and break props.

There is a perfect catch (imo) in the first 30 seconds of this video. You want the Phantom oriented facing away from you (so the lateral controls are "normal") and a bit higher than you. Bring the Phantom back within reach and then use your right hand (lateral control) to reach up and grab a leg while controlling throttle with your left. Hold the Phantom steady while you hold the throttle down for a few seconds until the motors stop.
You'll see in the video. obviously having a neck strap helps :)

Or have a look at landing gear options. With the carbon landing gear I bought, I have no problems taking off and landing anymore, plus it provides some slight downward flex in case the landing is harder than usual. I mean from a foot or so, when it gets windy, you sometimes have to "slam" it down a little.

I never land my P2 always catch her because of my FPV antenna hanging lower than the legs . My P1 I land all the time the FPV antenna is set up a bit different it dose take some practice to land on the hard case give it some time you will get it I started with a pizza box .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31