Some advice and guidance please on IOC

Shrimpfarmer said:
One thing to remember is that IOC only works when your over a certain distance (30ft I think) away from your home position. I fell for that one the first time I tried it.
If I remember correctly I think it's home lock that requires a distance of 30ft (10m), course lock works straight off

Peter Evans said:
Yep, I was out today too and I discovered exactly that! Then, when I came back in, I then got engrossed in the whole new RAW update issue and got sidetracked!

What I did find was that, by sellotaping a Q-tip next to each control stick, I was able to watch the scene on the screen and use the controllers really well to move smoothly round and keep my subject centred. I find the sticks are very sensitive (probably great for r/c enthusiast flyers, but much too sensitive for my purposes) so restricting their movement with the the two Q-tip sticks helped hugely.

If you feel like getting your hands a little dirty down in the software you can experiment with turning down the Gain % for whichever control you feel is too sensitive in the Vision Assistant. The only downside is you have to plug in, change it, unplug then go fly, come back and plug in, rinse and repeat. If you have a laptop it's probably easier. Try making a 10% change down from where they currently are and try - this should make the aircraft less responsive to the sticks, a little softer, or more "mushy" - might suit if the French sun melts the sellotape holding your Q-Tips. ;)

Shrimpfarmer said:
I went out today and experimented using IOC Home Lock. Initially it flew an arc but as I got past 180deg the arc got wider and wider until I had to bring it back to me. Now there was a wind so that may have something to do with it but I doubt it. I certainly could not keep the camera pointing at me without yawing it.

The problem with IOC Home Lock is that even if yours will fly a proper circle you have to be at least 30 ft away from centre. In my view due to the wide angle lens your target will be rather small in the frame.

You would be much better off just practicing nose in flying and learning to fly a circle then you can make that as big as you want.

What is actually going to happen if you try to fly around the home position in HL is the craft is going to fly on something that is more of a tangent to the arc. Meaning it will fly along a tangent with the radius (distance to home) getting longer as you fly with just left or right stick. It isn't a true tangent but it will not follow the arc of the radius where you start the left or right maneuver. You will need to maintain some down stick along with your left or right input to keep the radius of the arc from increasing.

LandYachtMedia said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
You will need to maintain some down stick along with your left or right input to keep the radius of the arc from increasing.

I will certainly give it a go as I like to understand how things work. For me though the course and home lock are probably not good for me as they destroy my stick skills. I worked long and hard to get them burnt into memory so once I understand it I will drop them.

I like your creativity with the q-tips Peter. Some people place their thumb in the way when they want a fine level of control.

Shrimpfarmer said:
LandYachtMedia said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
You will need to maintain some down stick along with your left or right input to keep the radius of the arc from increasing.

I will certainly give it a go as I like to understand how things work. For me though the course and home lock are probably not good for me as they destroy my stick skills. I worked long and hard to get them burnt into memory so once I understand it I will drop them.

I like your creativity with the q-tips Peter. Some people place their thumb in the way when they want a fine level of control.

I've been practicing turns on a point with mine. It is quite tricky to do it right.

Its a lot easier to do in the PA32. :cool:

Short clip showing how IOC home lock distance to subject grows as you attempt to fly a circle. The clips starts about 90 deg into the circle. I started it with the camera pointing away from me then half way round decided to see if I could point it at me. In the end it got too far away so I brought it back. I made no attempt to keep it near me, just roll and yaw.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIUE6aE3ILI[/youtube]

That's weird. When I tried it yesterday, it went around in a complete circle!

I didn't video it but I'm out videoing the tiles on a friend's leaky roof this afternoon, so on the way home I'll stop off at yesterday's spot and try it again with video on

I'm also going to try Pull_Up's 'mushy settings' :)

Shrimpfarmer said:
Short clip showing how IOC home lock distance to subject grows as you attempt to fly a circle. The clips starts about 90 deg into the circle. I started it with the camera pointing away from me then half way round decided to see if I could point it at me. In the end it got too far away so I brought it back. I made no attempt to keep it near me, just roll and yaw.

Mine does the exact same thing.

Shrimpfarmer said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIUE6aE3ILI[/youtube]

That's strange. Before I returned my PV for a camera issue I'm pretty sure it would flip in a near perfect circle.

OK, well yesterday, I must have been so engrossed in keeping my subject where I wanted that I was in fact controlling the roll and distance from subject without knowing it because, today, with just the roll applied and no attention paid to keeping the camera pointing inward, the Vision went in an ever increasing circle just as you guys described. I started off at 12 metres and ended up going beyond 40.

I haven't had time to do the mushy settings yet.

The plus side of HL mode is the control input to maintain distance is pretty simple. Just give it a bit of down right stick to hold the radius. When flying in GPS or ATTI it is much more challenging to fly a circle around a stationary point.

LandYachtMedia said:
The plus side of HL mode is the control input to maintain distance is pretty simple. Just give it a bit of down right stick to hold the radius.

So, unwittingly (or intuitively ? :lol: ) this is what I must have been doing yesterday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.