[SOLVED] Tips over on launch

Reaction score
[SOLVED]
TIP: If you disconnect M1-M4 wires, IGNORE THE KEYING ON THE CONNECTOR. Red wire is M1. Thanks to CityZen. I've searched and found others with the same problem (connector wired backwards) while yet others have the connector wired correctly

Hi all,

Recently my Phantom 2 (non Vision) has been tipping over on launch. You can find a video of it here:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMvqD61UseQ[/youtube]

I have performed the following, to no avail:
  • Replaced ESCs and motors (all wiring correct and matches original)
  • Upgraded all firmware
  • Performed Advanced IMU calibration
  • Performed compass calibration
  • Performed (in this order): BTU reset, advanced IMU calibration, stick calibration, compass calibration

The results are the same each and every time. This is my twentieth (or so) flight, so, yes, I am using the proper take off procedure (ie: not gradually throttling the stick)

Does anyone have any ideas? My compass, gyro and other readings are all within the ranges suggested elsewhere in this forum.

Best,
Rob

Re: Tips over on launch

I had changed the shell right before this started. Is it possible I plugged something back into the main board or NAZA in the wrong port? I can't find wiring instructions for the Phantom 2 to refer to.

Thanks,
Rob

Do this with a friend: While you hold the Phantom carefully away from you (by the landing gear, with both hands), have him turn on the motors and then slightly move the right stick left, right, back, forth. Let him tell you what he's doing so you can feel which way the Phantom wants to go for each control movement. The point is to verify that you get the correct thrust for each control.

If you don't, then you need to examine what can be wrong:
- the motors are turning according to the markings on each arm
- the propellers are installed correctly
- the motor control connectors are plugged in properly
- ???

CityZen said:
Do this with a friend: While you hold the Phantom carefully away from you (by the landing gear, with both hands), have him turn on the motors and then slightly move the right stick left, right, back, forth. Let him tell you what he's doing so you can feel which way the Phantom wants to go for each control movement. The point is to verify that you get the correct thrust for each control.

If you don't, then you need to examine what can be wrong:
- the motors are turning according to the markings on each arm
- the propellers are installed correctly
- the motor control connectors are plugged in properly
- ???

We did the above. Motors spinning per arrows on body, all seem to spin up, but it's like the front ones don't spin up fast enough.

That aside, I am curious how the props could be on wrong since they are threaded different... Am I missing something? Or would that be for if I am using aftermarket props with separate nuts?

Yes, you can install generic props with prop nuts.

So either you have a calibration issue, or else there's an issue with your motors/ESCs. When you did the body swap, did you desolder anything?
You could have partially blown ESCs. Check the MOSFETs on them for any signs of bubbling or distortion in the plastic (although the coating DJI
puts on them makes this a bit difficult to tell if they are smooth or not).

CityZen said:
Yes, you can install generic props with prop nuts.

So either you have a calibration issue, or else there's an issue with your motors/ESCs. When you did the body swap, did you desolder anything?
You could have partially blown ESCs. Check the MOSFETs on them for any signs of bubbling or distortion in the plastic (although the coating DJI
puts on them makes this a bit difficult to tell if they are smooth or not).

No, I didn't desolder anything before this started happening. But I did disconnect everything from the NAZA.

Also, sorry, it probably got lost in my original post, but I already changed all ESCs and motors - same results (though, the other ones were fine on the very last flight). And no, all soldering is fine (I do that for a living).

Your phantom isn't stock is it??

Someone else figured it out. Read the thread and watch the clip. There is 4 pin connector they are discussing causing the flip on take off.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31580

Mako79 said:

Someone else figured it out. Read the thread and watch the clip. There is 4 pin connector they are discussing causing the flip on take off.

Well, I think for the purpose of this discussion, it was stock. I have an iOSD Mini and Ground Station installed (for ages), and other than gimbal extension and legs, nothing else was changed.

- I replaced the shell, and in the process, disconnected and reconnected everything inside.
- The problem started
- I replaced motors and ESCs
- The problem persisted.

Checking the thread now. Thanks.

Mako79 said:

So... M1-M4 gets plugged in UPSIDE DOWN? With keys facing up?

If that's the case, then mine is backwards. Checking...

CityZen said:
The red wire goes to M1.

Thank you SO much!!! My connector is keyed wrong. I have managed to find other images of it, and it appears a number are correct, and a number are wrong.

Can I presume that means DJI screwed up? :D ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj