[SOLVED] Runs away in GPS mode with new update (2.10/3.10)

Re: Runs away in GPS mode with new update (2.10/3.10)

Tick Tock -
I'm having exactly the same issues and have and have done all the same steps as you (except swapping hardware). Everything looks good in Assistant and I get all the correct indicators before launch. It behaves as if there is no IOC. It flew perfectly before the upgrade. Please let me/us know if you find a fix.

MRSpyder2U said:
Tick Tock -
I'm having exactly the same issues and have and have done all the same steps as you (except swapping hardware). Everything looks good in Assistant and I get all the correct indicators before launch. It behaves as if there is no IOC. It flew perfectly before the upgrade. Please let me/us know if you find a fix.
I am very sorry to hear it - I know how angry you must be. If you don't mind, please take a moment to file a report on the dji site - maybe after they get a few reports they will do something about it.

http://www.dji-innovations.com/tech-support/

I find I can still use CL (since this doesn't require GPS). Can you? I don't really miss HL - never found much use for it. Also, consider changing your failsafe to land only rather than return to home then land. If yours is acting like mine, it shoots off in a random direction as soon as RTH is engaged.

Is your machine stock? Any mods?

One more question, MrSPyder,

Can you confirm that you also tried reverting back to 3.00? This is the part that I can't figure out. Why doesn't reverting back restore the craft?

I took her out yesterday and flew about an hour. It was cold, and very windy and blustery,I kept it within 50ft of the house and maybe 30ft up because of the strong gusts of wind. It held beautifully. It was taking a pounding but held great. I wouldn't have wanted to be in it, and I'm sure if I had been taking video, I'd be seasick watching it. I would love to have watched it longer because it was quite a show,but it was really cold, and windy landing was fun movement from the wind could have caused a tipover, and on the hard deck may have broken props, but she held at height until the wind gave me quick breaks an got her in, no problem. I will hope for a calm day to check drift, but at this point I don't think it will. Did not opt for failsafe, I don't trust it. I stayed with 3.10 because I didn't want to lose the gps numbers The takeoff thing only lasts a split second and I can deal with that . In the 40's today,hope to fly later, looks lousy out. I'm done with upgrades from now on as long as this thing flies like it did yesterday. we'll see. I think the more I fly it the better it gets. Tick Tock, did you do a couple of compass recals. sounds like your compass is off. also did you get the 20 or so green flashes showing it had set home pos., did you try flipping between cl and hl 4 or5 times to set home ? Just asking. I'd like to try rth for you but I don't trust it never have. Try the hl pos. switch and pull back on your cyclic stick and see what it does. You can do the same as rth with that. Just increase throttle a little even tho you can't see it you want it high enough to clear trees, flip switch to hl and pull back on stick. Let me know how it works. Wow, long winded todat. Happy flying.

I also tried the hl switch, I turned it sideways turned on hl pulled back on the stick and it worked. I ran the basic and advanced imu cal. quite a few times. unhooked usb first then unplugged batt, then plugged bat back in each time.Don't kow if this helped or not but mine seems to have reverted back on a few things.Also did your Ioc get turned off somehow ?wait a few mins before you plug batt back in

Gary,
Thanks for the report. Were you flying in ATTI or GPS mode? ATTI mode still works great for me as well as CL. I do get the 20 green flashes after warm-up. Twice, actually. Is that normal?

I will try manually setting the HL (at this point I'll try anything) but have my doubts since HL shouldn't have anything to do with normal, non-IOC, GPS-mode flying.

Hi Tick Tock, yes I was flying in gps mode, I don;t understand what's going on with yours. I stayed with ver 3.10 because I didn't want to lose those gps figures I got with it. Only thing I did was a lot of recal in both basic and advanced for imu. I did try uncoupling usb first then batt. let it sit for a few mins. then plugged batt back in. Maybe the beating it took in that wind yesterday jarred something loose. It sure put on a show.I keep checking on you guys,keep me in the know. Sure would like to know wahats going on. I did hit the tv stand quite hard trying it inside yesterday, but the *** chewing I got for that didn't help. Maybe that jarred something back to its senses. Yes the two greeem 20 blinkks is mormal I gues, .By the way, out of curiosity,my compass readings are between 1400 and 1500 are yours close ? Another edited add on, something is really wrong if you prefer cl to hl. no matter which way it is facing in cl it will only do left, right, back, and forth. If you don't know where it is you're in trouble with cl. You've got to get that hl working right before you lose your phantom. At least keep it in sight till we get this figured out.iI'm beginning to think your switches are out of whack try att mode in the wind, does it drift when you let off on the sticks ? Did you click on ROTOR X under basic ? Did you check your gains ( too low or too high ?

Wow, 20 to 30 mph winds out there. I'll bet I could get a real show today. But I guess I won't next thing you know I'd be looking for parts, or my Phantom.

I have also had a confidence-destroying experience with the new soft/firmware. Did all the steps as discussed here and on other forums like dji-guys etc and also fitted and calibrated a new compass (broke it in crash- search youtube for dji phantom test flight ends in spectacular crash). I started up carefully waiting for ten single green flashes to make double sure I had secure gps lock and found as others did that the throttle is now somewhat odd. I failed to take off several times before I tried pushing the stick beyond 50% and then to my horror the phantom went straight up like a rocket and ignored my throttle reduction. It was at at least 250 feet and still going up when I decided to try to ditch it fast, it was blowing away on a brisk wind shear at that height. I did the unthinkable and bottom cornered both sticks and watched it crash into a rape field. I have since repaired the slight damage (tough little critters, aint they?) but I am nervous about flying it now, especially with all the traffic on here and other forums about this issue.

Dji should email all the registered users and post here and on the other forums when they have got their act together on this one.

Hi howardmaryon, yes that throttle was a big mistake. I can't believe people like it. There are going to be many more stories like yours I'm afraid. Sorry to hear about your crash,sounds scary. If people know whats going to happen with that throttle they can be aware of whats going to happen, but I don't think dji ever said anything about being dangerous,just that takeoff was " SMOOTHER " ? Don't lose confidence over it, now you know what to expect and can compensate for it. Some of the guys have gone back to vers. 3.00 which takes you back to the throttle the way it was.Glad your wreck wasn't worse, and I applaude you for ditching it rather than causing damage elsewhere. Oh and by the way, after your phantom lifts off you can lower throttle below 50% so it acts like normal. Just don't lower it to the bottom, you aren't comitted to that above 50% at all once you lift off you can lower it way down for landings, just don't lower all the way until you touchdown

TickTock said:
Is your machine stock? Any mods?

Sorry for the delay getting back to you - very busy day. Thanks for your response. I will make the report to dji support, for all the good it will do. It's as stock as the day it came out of the box. Props and motors have been balanced. Never have any misbehavior. Not even so much as a hard landing or a tip-over.

I should have mentioned that I didn't try to revert to the previous F/W. Most people are reporting a more stable GPS, flight and take-off, I'd like to see it work with this latest update.
Have you heard of others with this same issue?

OK. Hee hee. :oops: I want to crawl under a rock but I suppose I need to humbly prostrate myself before the community. My problem turned out to be operator error after-all. My buddy and I went flying today to try to resolve my issue. This is the same guy who loaned me his top and compass to see if that was my problem. After swapping everything we could think of and scratching our heads, we finally saw the problem when we looked at both crafts side-by-side. Weeell, apparently when I switched compasses I PUT IT ON THE WRONG LEG (howardmaryon - check this!). Not sure what my original problem was but from that point on nothing was ever going to work. Now that I have the compass oriented properly, 3.10 works just fine for me. :oops: Very very sorry for blaming DJI, but I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused the problem. :oops: Now, I think I'll go find that rock...

TickTock said:
OK. Hee hee. :oops: I want to crawl under a rock but I suppose I need to humbly prostrate myself before the community. My problem turned out to be operator error after-all. My buddy and I went flying today to try to resolve my issue. This is the same guy who loaned me his top and compass to see if that was my problem. After swapping everything we could think of and scratching our heads, we finally saw the problem when we looked at both crafts side-by-side. Weeell, apparently when I switched compasses I PUT IT ON THE WRONG LEG (howardmaryon - check this!). Not sure what my original problem was but from that point on nothing was ever going to work. Now that I have the compass oriented properly, 3.10 works just fine for me. :oops: Very very sorry for blaming DJI, but I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused the problem. :oops: Now, I think I'll go find that rock...

Tsk tsk ! :lol:

Re: [SOLVED] Runs away in GPS mode with new update (2.10/3.1

Don't feel bad tick tock. Someone else may have that problem, and now, thanks to you, we have a solution. I'm sure you'll enjoy it more now.

Thanks for being so kind about my bone-head move. It, of course, makes complete sense in retrospect. Craft thought it was facing south when, in fact, it was facing north. So when GPS said I drifted north, it tried to compensate by moving what it thought was south but ended up actually only moving further north. Loop repeats until I am going full speed north trying to compensate for what it thinks must be a very strong wind.

Kudos for reporting back what the problem was as it may indeed help someone else in the future. It also expands the overall knowledge base of the user community.

It takes class to admit your mistake. Kudos to you for helping others work out their issues. And for keeping us posted on the issue.

I made a mod to the actual gps board. I have never again had a drift or runaway problem. Friend in avionics checked gps board and foubd a input output diode I guess u call it that was over soldered. Super mag glass to see it right in center that goes woth compass plugin. Phantom performs like a champ now...

I did the exact same thing this weekend. It's kind of an easy mistake to make if you're new to this sort of thing. I've taken my Phantom apart so many times now I could build one from scratch, but I still managed to swap the landing struts. DJI stress the importance of keeping the orientation of some of these parts. This could have been bad, but the symptoms all make sense now.

The phantom would seem to fly straight pretty well, but would always "drift" in GPS mode, slowly at first and then faster. Having the compass on backward, it would try to correct itself but push itself further in the wrong direction, which would make it "correct itself" even further. This was especially bad when flying aggressively. I smashed my phantom into a fence because of this issue. If you fly it fast, when you let off the stick it is supposed to stop itself, but instead it would shoot itself even faster, essentially hitting the gas instead of the breaks - a disaster waiting to happen.

DJI should change the legs so that they can only be attached in one direction. It's nearly impossible to open the Phantom up without removing the legs and pulling the compass wire out, as it is attached to the top (lid) of the Phantom's shell. When putting it back together a person could easily use the opposite hole by mistake, which is what I did. (all my plugs were out)

thed0g0fwar said:
It's nearly impossible to open the Phantom up without removing the legs and pulling the compass wire out, as it is attached to the top (lid) of the Phantom's shell.
After removing the top a couple of times I noticed the insulation start to get damaged near the connector as it was pased through the hole so now I leave it attached. But yeah, it gets in the way. Get a "precision" screwdriver set with the solid extension like the one below. Makes it very easy to remove all the screws while leaving the landing gear in place (long enough to reach past the gear).

precision screwdriver set

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers