[SOLVED] RC Signal Lost after update to firmware 1.08.0080

This appears to be a issue with the iOS version of the DJI Go app. It appears that they have not upgraded the go app IOS version. If you have a android tablet use it their version of the go app is updated to the 2.7.2 needed to run the updated firmware. If you notice the DJI foot notes for this firmware update make no mention of the IOS go app.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I used an Android device and have EXACTLY the same problem. Showing Signal Lost and N/A on the RC and Aircraft version ...

So this is definitely a brick in my opinion :( Again, i did this since the aircraft appearead and never had problems like this ... I am really confused of what could have been done wrong ?

Edit, I see Android hasn't helped either. Sucks. This was an update that needed the rc updated too. It seems you turned your attention back to the bird instead of the rc. Not good with this one. I would keep trying to get 1.8 success on the bird and then update the remote. But, it may very well need dji support at this point.

Last edited:
Exactly the same as on iOS, giving me: Signal lost.

On iOS version i can see in the status saying as well: Latest Firmware Installed.

However, even if i start the aircraft without the RC, it flashes shortly after boot. Makes me think the 1.8 version just bricked the aircraft. Has no idea what firmware it is on 1.7 or 1.8.

Strange, all Rc commands do work, like taking photos, moving camera, and even relinking RC with aircraft, but the message is there: RC signal lost.

This appears to be a issue with the iOS version of the DJI Go app. It appears that they have not upgraded the go app IOS version. If you have a android tablet use it their version of the go app is updated to the 2.7.2 needed to run the updated firmware. If you notice the DJI foot notes for this firmware update make no mention of the IOS go app.

I had no problem with this update using the most recent ios app version. Your thought doesn't appear to be accurate.

Exactly the same as on iOS, giving me: Signal lost.

On iOS version i can see in the status saying as well: Latest Firmware Installed.

However, even if i start the aircraft without the RC, it flashes shortly after boot. Makes me think the 1.8 version just bricked the aircraft. Has no idea what firmware it is on 1.7 or 1.8.

Strange, all Rc commands do work, like taking photos, moving camera, and even relinking RC with aircraft, but the message is there: RC signal lost.
Some of the signals might still work but if there is a mismatch between RC FW and A/C FW , signal lost message will be displayed.

If you are sure that you have updated RC and A/C FW to the latest, and still face issues, there are more chances that A/C FW was not installed correctly. There are many possibilities of going wrong. The best is to downgrade a/c FW and upgrade back.

I'm seeing that people are still facing issues in installing new FW. Something is wrong somewhere.

msinger has written such a detailed procedure and surprised people still face issue. Let me give a short procedure to get an overview of what's needed to be done:

You need to update FW of both RC and Aircraft. As you have already updated RC, you need to update aircraft only now.

Go to DJI ate and read the full procedure. A brief procedure is given below :

1. Download the FW for your model from DJI site
2. Unzip to extract bin file
3. Save the bin file to SF card of the aircraft and plug it into it
4. Keep RC off but switch on aircraft
5. Led on gimbal will start flashing green and red and aircraft will start beeping
6. You may have to wait for 10-30 minutes
7. Wait until gimbal led turns solid green
8. Turn off aircraft

All is done. To check :
9. Turn on RC
10 Turn on DJI go app
11. Turn on Aircraft
12. RC will establish connection with Aircraft
13. Check versions on DJI go app

Alternatively you can take out the SF card and a open the generated txt file. That file should say success.

Read detailed procedure before starting update.

You may need to Calibrate IMU and Gimbal after that before flying.

Yes, i did ALL those steps for last 12 months ! I know them by heart.

But this firmware is buggy, or i do not know what to think. The whole exo system is too fragile.

DJI Support has no idea and most probably i will have to send my bird out to them. To be honest this might be a definintive milestone for me after investing so much. I needed the bird in next 2 weeks vacation ...

I used an Android device and have EXACTLY the same problem. Showing Signal Lost and N/A on the RC and Aircraft version ...

So this is definitely a brick in my opinion :( Again, i did this since the aircraft appearead and never had problems like this ... I am really confused of what could have been done wrong ?
I don't know what happened in my case but when I switched to my android (nvidia Shield) I got loaded on all three of my drones and I'm flying with no issues.

I had the same problem. After upgrading, I got the lost signal error. I deleted the app off my phone, took the file & result txt off the micro sd card & reinstalled firmware bin file to the root of the card. Inserted back in to my bird & re ran the update. My bird took about 10 minutes to re write the firmware that was previously installed. Reinstalled the pilot app back on my iPhone & iPad. Everything is back to normal.

I had this problem yesterday too. I upgraded the RC first. I tried to connect to the aircraft and got RC Signal lost. Msinger pointed out I needed to update the aircraft too. Once that'd been done an the card removed, the RC connected immediately.

Yes, i did ALL those steps for last 12 months ! I know them by heart.

But this firmware is buggy, or i do not know what to think. The whole exo system is too fragile.

DJI Support has no idea and most probably i will have to send my bird out to them. To be honest this might be a definintive milestone for me after investing so much. I needed the bird in next 2 weeks vacation ...
I understand your frustration, for sure. However, this really looks like user error if I'm reading your first post correctly. When you updated the bird, you failed to realize that the rc needed updating too and your immediate resolution to fix the issue was to downgrade the bird firmware. That was the seemingly fatal mistake. Actually, that was mistake number two. You should have first researched this particular update. Having done that myself first, I knew that I would not attempt this update until the proper firmware update numbers were showing in the app first both AC and RC, so I knew that the app had successfully sync'd with DJI servers for the correct updates needed. That is a must for this update because of these two reasons in the release notes, effecting communications-

- Improved aircraft stability through optimized flight controller logic.
- Improved encryption to enhance security during transmission.

I'm guessing that those changes are hard coded somehow and stick, regardless of downgrading the firmware. With the RC having not been updated at that moment, this problem happened.You're probably gonna have to send it all in now, unfortunately. I've heard of other instances of this and that had to be done. Two takeaways from this are, be absolutely certain the updates you expect to have are showing in the app software, and that those version numbers are correct. Second, unless you absolutely have to, never update stuff before important events to film, like vacations, etc. If you can hold off till afterwards, it's best to wait it out. In fact with DJI updates, it's always best to wait it out for a bit. Really sorry this happened. Good luck getting it sorted.

Reactions: Oso
OK, so i managed to FIX it !

Solution: I have NO clue how at some point in the iOS DJI Go App suddenly it had appeared the update RC option. I immediately updated the RC, and BANG stopped showing the error message in a second.

Maybe going back and forth between Android device and iOS may have triggered something in the RC ? I don't know.
Maybe just opening the aircraft and RC, and then RC and Aircraft and just keeping opening/closing might have triggered something. I don't know.

Strangely enough, the last success firmware update, was the downgrade to 1.7. Afterwards only failures. BUT, when i updated the RC firmware via the DJI Go App, SURPRISE ! The aircraft had 1.8 firmware ...

So all-in-all, this was a very bad experience and i've seen people on Facebook groups having the same problem and being fixed stupidly. However, this was very risky as i went into downgrade operation, and due to my disperation i might have brick it completely.

DJI support was painfull .... god sake i did not had to go trough it anymore ...

Wow, that's awesome news! Phew! You can open the dji app continously while on Internet wifi to get the updates to come through, even without being hooked up to the device. People need to be careful with each update and know exactly what's being updated, be it the bird, the rc, the batteries, all of them, or just some. Glad you got it sorted.

OK, so i managed to FIX it !

Solution: I have NO clue how at some point in the iOS DJI Go App suddenly it had appeared the update RC option. I immediately updated the RC, and BANG stopped showing the error message in a second.

Maybe going back and forth between Android device and iOS may have triggered something in the RC ? I don't know.
Maybe just opening the aircraft and RC, and then RC and Aircraft and just keeping opening/closing might have triggered something. I don't know.

Strangely enough, the last success firmware update, was the downgrade to 1.7. Afterwards only failures. BUT, when i updated the RC firmware via the DJI Go App, SURPRISE ! The aircraft had 1.8 firmware ...

So all-in-all, this was a very bad experience and i've seen people on Facebook groups having the same problem and being fixed stupidly. However, this was very risky as i went into downgrade operation, and due to my disperation i might have brick it completely.

DJI support was painfull .... god sake i did not had to go trough it anymore ...

Glad to see you got it working and will be able to use it on your vacation - but for the record, the advice that @shockwave199 gave you in post #18 was spot on and if you hadn't dismissed it, you may have saved yourself a few hours of depression!

He said that the RC update was flaky and that you might have to force close and open several times while connected to the Internet to get the upgrade option to finally show up.

I once had a failed update to the aircraft and thought I bricked it. After several retries that each lasted over an hour with no luck, i had convinced myself I was going to have to send it in. In desperation I kicked it off one last time and out the drone in the garage so the loud beeping was muffled. THREE HOURS later I heard the beeping pattern change and went out to check it and found it had succeeded! Since then, all of my updates have gone flawlessly. You seem to have been lucky with all your past updates and had a flawless success rate until today. But - as you now know - it doesn't always work exactly the same every time on every update for everybody. So in the future, if you experience a failed upgrade - don't assume that you did something wrong (although you might have). It's possible it was just bad luck - and it also seems like it's pretty hard to completely brick these things - so don't panic and get depressed when something bad happens - come here like you did today and somebody will help you fix it!

To be honest - it seemed like you barely read post #18 and just dismissed it because you had "already tried that" - and you missed the important part of his post - where he said that you should do it REPEATEDLY and UNTIL the "upgrade" option appeared! You seemed completely depressed (understandably) and jumped to the conclusion that it was a brick far to early in the troubleshooting/remediation phase.

I'm glad it all worked out and that you didn't end up hanging from a noose or in a garage filled with exhaust fumes! The way your posts were written made me think those were actual possibilities!!!

Don't forget to share some cool vacation videos with us!

I kept opening, closing, uninstalling, installing, remove SD cards, format SD cards, for 4 hours non stop !
You know, when you do this for such long time, it's pretty obvious you did everything you have been told by others :)

There has been a glitch somewhere (i mean there are so many places where can fail: battery software, SD card, A/C, RC, iOS App) because there are so many interconnections between all.

Thanks again or everyone advice's and support here !

I kept opening, closing, uninstalling, installing, remove SD cards, format SD cards, for 4 hours non stop !
You know, when you do this for such long time, it's pretty obvious you did everything you have been told by others :)

There has been a glitch somewhere (i mean there are so many places where can fail: battery software, SD card, A/C, RC, iOS App) because there are so many interconnections between all.

Thanks again or everyone advice's and support here !

Not to mention all the stuff beyond your control like internet connections and servers....

Exactly! That was another point where i switched between WiFi and 4G, etc :)

It would have been useful to extract some logs from the aircraft itself or RC, by connecting it to a computer. I was basically in the blind when being asked what version is your aircraft or RC (by DJI Support).

They mentioned me that i could downgrade the RC firmware, by having a long press on the DJI Academy icon (found at: DJI GO home page -> go to Me -> Log In into DJI account -> touch and hold DJI Academy icon for max 10 seconds) and then having a secret menu for downgrade.

For me it did not work on iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.1.

Cool tip! Good to know that it *is* possible to downgrade in an emergency!
I haven't updated my RC or aircraft yet - but since yesterday morning, the remote is showing "Update Available" without the aircraft being upgraded or even connected.

I don't know what's changed since this first post but both of my tablets (IOS & Android) are now working off the new firmware. No error or red signals from either tablet. I have done test flights with no problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj