[Solved]Phantom 2 assistant won't connect after motor replacement

Reaction score
After replacing the motors on my phantom 2, phantom assistant (v3.8) will not recognise that the drone is plugged in. When I plug it in to my PC I also get a message saying "device not recognised". It all worked fine before I changed the motors and apart from changing the motors, I haven't done anything. I've checked the usb plug going into the naza and that's fine - in properly, right way round.
Does anyone know what might be wrong?
Tristan

I thought I've read that the ESC has to be replaced also as they operate as one? Someone will be by soon to verify or correct this...

Wouldn't have thought so, on a normal quad the ESCs are a seperate part to the motors and either can be replaced individually. The p2 motors are no different to normal motors so the ESC shouldn't mind if those motors are swapped with aftermarket ones of the same spec.

Wouldn't have thought so, on a normal quad the ESCs are a seperate part to the motors and either can be replaced individually. The p2 motors are no different to normal motors so the ESC shouldn't mind if those motors are swapped with aftermarket ones of the same spec.

It all depends on which P2 you have as there were two versions. The original P2 v1 used 2212 motors with ESC v2.0 modules and the newer P2 v2 used 2312 motors with ESC v2.1 modules. To identify which version you have look at a ccw motor shaft. A version v1 P2 ccw motor shaft had a black dot on the end of the shaft while the v2 P2 the shaft is completely black.

When motors are mixed the P2 will not work as you are finding out. The original P2 you could mix ESC boards v2.0 w/v2.1 but not the motors. If you wanted to change motors on the original P2 to the 2312 you also had to change all four ESC boards as well to the v2.1. Reason for the motor was for lifting power due to the fact P2 was limited to 1300g takeoff weight an with a gimbal, camera, iOSD, video TX and what ever other equipment one could add on they were overweight.

So now you have to figure out what you have and how much more you want sink into this. By the way why did you change the motors? Were the motors you purchase DJI parts or aftermarket?

It's not common for brushless motors to fail whereas failure rate for ESC modules is higher due to not shutting down the motors after crashing. The only thing that could damage a brushless motor would be a bent shaft or defective bearing as it only has three moving parts.

Last edited:
I have the v2.1, so does that mean that it should be ok? Although the phantom flies fine, the only problem is that I can't get it to connect to p2 assistant.
The reason I changed the motors is because one of them had damaged windings and the other was making strange noises, I think the bearings had gone.
And the motors I've used are not original dji motors but multistar motors.

I have the v2.1, so does that mean that it should be ok? Although the phantom flies fine, the only problem is that I can't get it to connect to p2 assistant.
The reason I changed the motors is because one of them had damaged windings and the other was making strange noises, I think the bearings had gone.
And the motors I've used are not original dji motors but multistar motors.

Well those ESCs were design for DJI motors so if you run into trouble you'll know why. If you are using a PC w/windows 10 for the OS and for what ever reason have caused many to have problems with P2 software.every since it was introduced.

Well those ESCs were design for DJI motors so if you run into trouble you'll know why. If you are using a PC w/windows 10 for the OS and for what ever reason have caused many to have problems with P2 software.every since it was introduced.
The motors I've got were apparently designed for the p2 so hopefully they will be ok.
And yes, unfortunately I am using Windows 10. This isn't the first problem I've had with it either, it's constantly developing new issues. Its not like it's exactly a new os anymore either, they should have sorted it out by now but it seems they are more bothered about putting adverts all over it and forcing me to use bing. Unfortunately though windows is the only real option on a gaming pc so I'm stuck with it.

Forgot to add - I got it working, turns out windows 10 had decided that it was going to stop a load of my apps from working properly or even opening. Running Microsoft app troubleshooter fixed it and now everything works ok.

The motors I've got were apparently designed for the p2 so hopefully they will be ok.
And yes, unfortunately I am using Windows 10. This isn't the first problem I've had with it either, it's constantly developing new issues. Its not like it's exactly a new os anymore either, they should have sorted it out by now but it seems they are more bothered about putting adverts all over it and forcing me to use bing. Unfortunately though windows is the only real option on a gaming pc so I'm stuck with it.

It is not Microsoft responsibility to sort out problems with DJI software. But since this is a product no longer in production you'll just have to find a solution. Glad i didn't jump on the free Windows 10 when it was introduced still running Windows 7 and with their newest version 10 S has a whole new set of problems for consumers.

It is not Microsoft responsibility to sort out problems with DJI software. But since this is a product no longer in production you'll just have to find a solution. Glad i didn't jump on the free Windows 10 when it was introduced still running Windows 7 and with their newest version 10 S has a whole new set of problems for consumers.
It's ok now after running the app troubleshooter that fixed it. I was also having problems with many of the built in windows 10 apps which is why I was blaming Microsoft.

It's ok now after running the app troubleshooter that fixed it. I was also having problems with many of the built in windows 10 apps which is why I was blaming Microsoft.

Did you do an advanced IMU after replacing the motors? To keep in prefect order you should check once a month and definitely after a crash. One thing i am not keen on is doing compass calibration each time i fly or change locations. In over three years i have never had problem because i didn't do the compass cal.

I did a basic IMU cal but didn't find an option for advanced.

Have no idea how your software works but my software shows two IMU tabs basic and advanced.
Tools.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31