[SOLVED] 2 x P2V+ with Phantom Connection Broken

Reaction score
2 x P2V+ with Phantom Connection Broken

This problem is getting me grey hair.
I got two DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ with the same problem.
They both give me the black screen with "Phantom Connection Broken" in the DJI Vision-app on my Samsung Galaxy Note II with Android 4.4.2.
I have searched this forum for answers but it still dont work on any of them.
Therefore I start a new thread to find answers to my version of the "Phantom Connection Broken".

The first one crashed and after that it wont work.
The other one lost it 5 minutes into a flight.

I have done this:
- Upgraded all I could find to the latest version since it didnt work with the older versions (different on the both). That means Phantoms, Batteries, Camera GImbal (MicroSD-card bin-file) and what else there were.
- I shut off my WLAN at home
- I disabled Smart Switching (its not called that in swedish, hope I got right)
- I entered the phone into "flight mode" (Airplane Mode or whatever its called in english)
- I shut off mobile data
- I have used bound to bound "camera" and it works
- I have rebinded the Extender and it works

But still "Phantom Connetion Broken".
Also tested with a Samsung Galaxe Tab 3, same problem.
Trash can next? Or is there anyone with a solution to this insane time consuming problem?
At this state, I would never ever recommend anyone to buy this crap.

Please help!

Re: 2 x P2V+ with Phantom Connection Broken

Try looking at the 3 grey cables that come down from the phantom to the gimbal and camera.
If any of those cables are loose, they can cause the "connection broken" warning.
Just get a pair of tweezers and unplug all 3 and inspect them. Majority of the time, its the 4-pin clip-in that is damaged from bounce landings/whiplash.
Inspect the cables and make sure the pins are sitting nice. Make sure they are firmly connected.

I would try it without "Airplane" mode being on. On my Samsung Note 2, airplane mode also disabled wifi... and without wifi, the connection is broken.

Ok Ill do that.

But... one of them, I already did. =) Ill do it again.
Another thing, I cant even move the gimbal (tilt) using the app, its not only the picture that is gone. No one of the indicators to the upper right corner is ON, except the one that looks like the extender.
I have uses the Wireless Analyzer app (Android) and it finds the Extenders Wifi-signal (PHANTOM_XXXXXX) and also a noname strong signal from the Phantom.

Some questions:
1. When Camera Bound, does that mean the Extender is connected to the Wifi-module in the Phantom?
2. There are a twå cables from the "Naza" to the mainboard and two cables to the receiver. Why are these not connected the same way on my two P2V+ compared to lots of other pictures on the net?
3. The LED on the gimbal, it is green. Should it flash when connected to the Extender? Any other indicator that shows there is a connection? Or is it only through the app?
4. They both have this camera: http://quadcopterhq.com/wp-content/uplo ... Gimbal.jpg . Is this the FC200 (same name as the "egg"?

Airplane mode ON I meant, sorry.
When that mode is on, I can still activate Wifi. Has to be done after Airplane mode is ON.
Works fine. Connects to the Extender without any problem.
But still... "Phantom Connection Broken".

Have you tried it in a different location ?

In my neighborhood I cant even fly 500 feet without losing wifi, due to interference.

At my test-flying site, I have no issue at all.

4. That's not the FC200 "egg" camera (which looks like an egg). That's the Phantom 2 Vision Plus camera.
3. The LED just stays on green, I think.
2. The cables are connected as follows:
- The 4-pin cable splits into two parts. One parts goes to the CAM connector on the main board. The other goes into the wifi module, on the side, further away from antenna connectors.
- The middle 6-pin cable goes to the voltage filter module that sits above the receiver. From there, it goes to the Zenmuse connector on the main board.
- The final 6-pin cable goes to the back of the wifi module. Mine goes through a long toroid.
- There's also a cable from the FAN connector of the mainboard to the other side plug on the wifi module. Only the middle pin is used.
1. Yes.

There has been many who have experienced the same concerns, and have found it necessary to replace the Wi-Fi Tx module.
If all else fails you may find it necessary to replace the unit as well. Hopefully not!
Is the model still under warranty, if so you may want to notify DJI, or simply replace it by doing the repair yourself.
There have been video's outlining replacement procedures should you decide to do it yourself. Best of luck.

MickeM said:
Ok Ill do that.

But... one of them, I already did. =) Ill do it again.
Another thing, I cant even move the gimbal (tilt) using the app, its not only the picture that is gone. No one of the indicators to the upper right corner is ON, except the one that looks like the extender.
I have uses the Wireless Analyzer app (Android) and it finds the Extenders Wifi-signal (PHANTOM_XXXXXX) and also a noname strong signal from the Phantom.

That is clearly the 4pin clip-in cable. The 4 pin cable adjusts your tilt, looks at telemetry info. Make sure they are firmly plugged in and none of the pins have fallen out.

With 2 controllers and two units you will want to make sure that the proper controller is with the right bird. It would be easy to swap them and get what you are experiencing here.

CityZen said:
4. That's not the FC200 "egg" camera (which looks like an egg). That's the Phantom 2 Vision Plus camera.
Both are the FC200. It's the same camera but it just has a casing on in the P2v

Meta4 said:
I've only ever seen "FC200" used to refer to the Vision camera, never the Plus.
Even if they share some internals, I think confusion would ensue if you would use "FC200" to refer to the Plus camera.

Hello again.

Nope, I havent tried the Phantoms in a different location. I shut off the Wifi in the house. The Phantoms arent mine. I just fix them (try to). I can try a different location, but shouldnt I get any connection what so ever?

One Phantom lost the connection completely after a crash (or after upgrades after it was repaired and have got a new Wifi-Module).

The other one lost connection 5 minute into the flight. Nothing after that.

So there are two FC200-cameras and they both look... not the same at all? I downloaded the bin-file from DJI's homepage from the Phantom 2 Vision+ -page. It should be the right bin-file.

Havent checked the cables yet.

I have another Wifi-module. Can change to test it. I read that the Wifi-modules heatsink-metalbox dont reach some components that should be cooled down inside the module. Heating problems?

I got strong Wifi-signal from both the Extenders and the Wifi-module on the Phantom. Used Android-app Wifi Analyzer.

Warranty? I have no idea. The owner said it takes too long to send it away (he got four now because of that, I believe). ;-)

Shouldnt be any problem fix it myself. Have to understand how it works first and find the thing that hates me.

The radios and Phantoms are different, one is older and is marked to match together, but I can try shift the radios, hopefully it messes it all up even more. :-D

A question:
I talked to a collegue who have the P2V and he said a satellite-symbol should appear in the upper right corner in the app. Mine dont, it should be blue when on. There is only a dark grey symbol now. So... the Wifi-module gets this information from the Mainboard, and not from the gimbal. Soo.... the problem should be in the Wifi-module? Or where?

CityZen said:
Meta4 said:
I've only ever seen "FC200" used to refer to the Vision camera, never the Plus.
Even if they share some internals, I think confusion would ensue if you would use "FC200" to refer to the Plus camera.

Check the EXIF info on any pic you take with a P2+ and it will show:
Camera Maker DJI
Camera model Phantom Vision FC200

FC200 refers to the internals - not the casing around the camera.

The EXIF says Phantom Vision FC200.

Now I tested with an Apple iPad 2 (or whatever it is).
Works the same with the "Connection to Phantom failed".
But this time the Wifi-indicator in the upper right corner lights up får approximately 10 seconds.

Anyone have any idea about my question regarding the satellite-indicator that should work if there is only a problem between the Wifi-module and Camera (my theory).

I asked a question earlier (I didnt mean the Wifi-module, I meant between the FC (Naza-look) but thanks anyway, I meant mainboard and RC-receiver):
2. There are a two cables from the "Naza" to the mainboard and two cables to the receiver. Why are these not connected the same way on my two P2V+ compared to lots of other pictures on the net?

Questions:

A: The MAC-address, is this only for the extender or is there any other MAC-address (Camera)?

I noticed I can bind without having the radio controller or the Phantom ON. This is in the Settings menu, "Binding" -> "Camera bound" and it finds the MAC-adress FC200_XXXXX (where FC200 should be the camera?!) which is the same MAC-address that is on the Extender. !? Explain that logic to me.

B: The Wifi-indicator in the upper right corner, what does this one indicate? It lights up for around 10 seconds when entering "Camera" in the application, the it goes gray.

C: How do I know if there is any connection between the Extender and the Wifi-module?

And D: How do I know if the Wifi-module is broken or the Mainboard?

MickeM said:
Questions:

A: The MAC-address, is this only for the extender or is there any other MAC-address (Camera)?

I noticed I can bind without having the radio controller or the Phantom ON. This is in the Settings menu, "Binding" -> "Camera bound" and it finds the MAC-adress FC200_XXXXX (where FC200 should be the camera?!) which is the same MAC-address that is on the Extender. !? Explain that logic to me.

B: The Wifi-indicator in the upper right corner, what does this one indicate? It lights up for around 10 seconds when entering "Camera" in the application, the it goes gray.

C: How do I know if there is any connection between the Extender and the Wifi-module?

You should see some gps data if there is communication going on between the extender/app and the wifi module. You need to start by doing full updates. Then you need to rebind using the scan code on the box and the scan tool in the app. Then if you still have a problem make sure your phone or ipad whatever is receiving a wifi signal. If its not than you have either not bound properly or you have 2 bad wifi modules that are notorious for failing. If you are repairing these birds than you better get used to opening them up and examining the guts.

What where the symptoms leading up to failure? Did they gradually lose range? You need to know this to diagnose the problem.

If you open the wifi unit and find thermal paste not spread on components than you can assume them as failed. Refer to this thread here that I started and see where the paste is applied at the factory and confirm you have it. If not..... well they are done.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28176

Have now tried three Wifi-modules and no difference (one from before that didnt work, another one from a Phantom that didnt have connection and a third that also have connection problem).
Could be the Wifi-modules I guess.

No GPS-data what so ever.

The app is connected to the Extender (there is a extender-symbol in the app that is blue and shows how much battery is left). Always work.

I have done the following updates (latest):
Main controller - Loader 29.0.2.1 - 3.08
GPS - ... - 6.0.1.4
P330CB - 26.0.0.0 - 1.0.2.10
Battery - 1.5.0.0 - 2.6.0.0
Zen IMU - 0.0.0.8 - 1.0.0.6
And also updated the gimbal/camera (FC200) with MicroSD.

Have rebinded (both in the app and on the Extender) several times and manually entered the MAC-adress and it binds successfully every time.

I guess I have THREE bad Wifi-modules.

I have opened both Phantoms and are used to these electronics.
If I hade a new Widi-module, I would try it immediately.
But they seems to be expensive and crappy.

I opened one Wifi-module and there where good amount of paste on the components (upper board) that seemed to need cooling.
Under the lower board, there was a piece of flat rubber between one chip and the metalcasing.
On pictures I have seen, there were cooling paste. !? I will check them again and take photos.

All three Wifi-modules sends a Wifi-signal (seen on the Android-app Wifi Analyzer).

Symptoms leading to failure:
Phantom 1: Crashed and then Wifi didnt work (changed Wifi-module and still dont work).
Phantom 2: Flown a lot, suddenly in the air after 5 minutes of flyging, the Wifi was lost forever. Havent been in any hard landings. <---- Im trying to get this to work first.

Could it be the main board? It should be that or the Wifi-module in the Phantom.

You more than likely have had a batch of bad wifi units. Its not uncommon for a person to be on their third. The rubber pad is something new and it has been on a couple that I have looked at. Your Phantom #2 sounds like the typical wifi failure. The #1 Phantom crashing while the wifi is hot can cause the failure easier. I would spend the $200 and try the new wifi and if that doesnt fix either bird..... then I would pull my hair out.

It shouldnt be one batch, they are bought separately and the MAC-address differ quite much.

All three of them sends out a strong wifi-signal.
What is the most common errors these Wifi-modules gets?
Which part of the Wifi-module stops functioning?

How exactly do I bind the Extender on the remote control with the Wifi-module in the Phantom?

The QR-code/MAC-address, is that for the Extender only?

Is it even possible to have the phantom on the desk at home when using for example the Assistant to configure the Phantom? Or is the Wifi burned? How many mW does this heater send out?

Can I pull my hair out now? :-D

Shouldnt there be a NEW version of this crappy Wifi-module soon?

Do the Phantom 2 Vision have the same Wifi-module as the Phantom 2 Vision+?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik