Solo with gimbal has also had a price markdown!

I been reading your posts, and figure this is the place to ask a question. Back when I was researching drones and figuring out which one to buy, I looked at several that were gopro models. But the advertising was lacking in that it never told you how the gopro sends back video to the controller. I have 2 gopro's, both with wifi, and the range on them to my cell is about 30'. Can anyone explain (briefly) how the camera sends video back to the operator?

I been reading your posts, and figure this is the place to ask a question. Back when I was researching drones and figuring out which one to buy, I looked at several that were gopro models. But the advertising was lacking in that it never told you how the gopro sends back video to the controller. I have 2 gopro's, both with wifi, and the range on them to my cell is about 30'. Can anyone explain (briefly) how the camera sends video back to the operator?

As far as the Solo goes, the connection between Bird and Controller is wifi. Basically the controller is a wifi hotspot to which the phone (Solo app) and the craft attach. 3DR has an HDMI plug coming from the craft that goes into the gimbal for image transmission. The video, telemetry, and control signals are transmited using wifi, im pretty sure its using UDP (I know the Tower app does). In terms of gimbal control, there is also a control cable that connects to gimbal as well from the copter.

I'll tell you why. Back in June I had one for 13 days. BB gave me 14 days to return it for a full refund. I so wanted it to be great, for months before I kept hearing how great it was going to be. Shipping was delayed time and again, they started shipping......oh but no gimbal for another two months lol.

Disconnects every 5-6 minutes happening no further than 20 ft away in a large open field with nothing else around. I can't stand it when I company tries to BS their way out of something. So glad I bought it from BB and got my money back right away. The Solo has been one big failure, they were going to compete with the Phantom? Not

I know two others who bought one about a month after me (after the bugs had been worked out) who had the same issues.
My first one was like that, returned it to Best Buy after spending on a day on the phone with tech support (3DR actually has very good tech support). Second Solo has not had a single issue. 3DR just released the 2.0 firmware update with even more features - though I haven't had the time to update and check them out yet.

FWIW, I've had to return two new Phantoms as well (the P1 and the P2 non vision) within a week of purchasing due to issues with them.

My first one was like that, returned it to Best Buy after spending on a day on the phone with tech support (3DR actually has very good tech support). Second Solo has not had a single issue. 3DR just released the 2.0 firmware update with even more features - though I haven't had the time to update and check them out yet.

FWIW, I've had to return two new Phantoms as well (the P1 and the P2 non vision) within a week of purchasing due to issues with them.

Yea I have seen instances where even the first Solo someone bought functioned perfectly. My main issues were that I had problems with two Solos and multiple gimbals. Also the range was really bad until I bought the FPVLR setup, and to get the GPS working I had to cut a soda box and place it in the GPS housing. Add those things to the price and the fact that they talked so much sh-t as to how smart it would be (altitude hold does not work and I crashed assuming it did), and how they will sell 100,000 units a year, its expandable, blah, blah, blah and I just found it to not be worth it. I can say however, that initially I loved it, it is amazingly durable. I found it slightly less responsive than the Phantom and also I thought the app wasnt as good. I went into it with a lot of patience really wanting to like it and took a big loss to get rid of it.

As far as the Solo goes, the connection between Bird and Controller is wifi. Basically the controller is a wifi hotspot to which the phone (Solo app) and the craft attach. 3DR has an HDMI plug coming from the craft that goes into the gimbal for image transmission. The video, telemetry, and control signals are transmited using wifi, im pretty sure its using UDP (I know the Tower app does). In terms of gimbal control, there is also a control cable that connects to gimbal as well from the copter.
Thanks. I knew it was done some how. A couple a months ago my gimbal had to come off and got shipped to Hunch from on here. While it was gone I mounted one of the gopro's on the drone, but Hunch told me not to use wifi because it would interfere with the drones wifi, so I knew it wasn't a camera wifi hook up thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd