Solid red on back lights

Reaction score
I had a bad crash last week and I replaced the shells. Everything is back together now, but when I turn it all on, the two back lights on the drone are solid red. I won't allow me to calibrate by flicking the switch on the controller back and forth.
I have been trying to read up on it, there isn't much info. Someone suggested that the gimbal is broken, but it still works fine, and when I disconnect it, the same red lights exist. I should also mention that I am able to get the propellers moving, I'm just afraid to take it off the ground because it isn't calibrated.
I also double checked all the connections, and they look fine.
Sadly, I can't download software because my computer is out of date.

Any suggestions as to why the red lights are on and what I should do about it?
Thanks

I had a bad crash last week and I replaced the shells. Everything is back together now, but when I turn it all on, the two back lights on the drone are solid red. I won't allow me to calibrate by flicking the switch on the controller back and forth.
I have been trying to read up on it, there isn't much info. Someone suggested that the gimbal is broken, but it still works fine, and when I disconnect it, the same red lights exist. I should also mention that I am able to get the propellers moving, I'm just afraid to take it off the ground because it isn't calibrated.
I also double checked all the connections, and they look fine.
Sadly, I can't download software because my computer is out of date.

Any suggestions as to why the red lights are on and what I should do about it?
Thanks

Is the compass encapsulated in the landing gear or is it the old style which is screwed on with two brackets? Could be that the cable or the compass itself was damaged.

Reactions: sammygoat
Is the compass encapsulated in the landing gear or is it the old style which is screwed on with two brackets? Could be that the cable or the compass itself was damaged.

Thank you for your reply.
It is the old style where the compass is on the outside attached with two brackets. I looked at the wire and the compass, they both seem fine. Is there anyway to tell if its definitely the compass that is causing the problem? I just don't want to buy a new one to find out that the original one was working fine.

If your props start, then the GPS module is working. However, depending on your crash, the ceramic antenna may of cracked. Cracked antenna just means you can't pick up sats.

I do think you just need to do an IMU calibration.
You need to borrow a PC and download the Phantom assist. It will tell you what faults are.
Usually an IMU calibration is required after a crash. Unfortunately, an IMU cal can only be down with a PC/Mac with the P2 Assist software.

Reactions: sammygoat
If your props start, then the GPS module is working. However, depending on your crash, the ceramic antenna may of cracked. Cracked antenna just means you can't pick up sats.

I do think you just need to do an IMU calibration.
You need to borrow a PC and download the Phantom assist. It will tell you what faults are.
Usually an IMU calibration is required after a crash. Unfortunately, an IMU cal can only be down with a PC/Mac with the P2 Assist software.
Thank you for the advice. I will be able to access a new mac tomorrow, so hopefully it'll explain everything.

I plugged in the drone and this error message came up "abnormal compass data. Please restart the Flight Controller or reconnect the compass due to the loss connection. if thes error continues, please contact your dealer or dJI customer service".

Does anyone know how to restart the flight controller? I found a video about it, but it was taken off youtube for some reason. I have been searching and can't find any info.

Also, how do I do IMU calibration? This software is very confusing,

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I plugged in the drone and this error message came up "abnormal compass data. Please restart the Flight Controller or reconnect the compass due to the loss connection. if thes error continues, please contact your dealer or dJI customer service".

Does anyone know how to restart the flight controller? I found a video about it, but it was taken off youtube for some reason. I have been searching and can't find any info.

Thanks

From the error message you received this isn't a P2 non vision but rather a P2 vision+ with it's own camera and gimbal. Is that correct?? This the bottom side of a P2 NV.
IMG_9145.jpg

Thanks

Doesn't matter which P2 you have but you need to address those errors and do an IMU calibration.
I do think you have a P2 NV as you cannot see those warnings without the DJI vision app.

The compass error warning you see is normal if you are near metals. This will happen if you sit it next to a PC or speaker or magnets. There is also metal in concrete, what is known as rebar. This is why you should NEVER do the compass calibration indoors or near metal structures. Find an open field and keep the phantom above 150cm when doing the compass dance.

Restarting Flight controller = turn off your phantom and remote controller.

Doing an ADVANCED IMU:
All we are doing is re-aligning the sensors in the inertia measuring unit. Your gyro/accelerometer could have been knocked around after a heavy bump.
1. Make sure the phantom hasn't been flown for an hour or so. Phantom needs to be cold. The hotter the phantom is, the less chance of a successful calibration and it will take longer to complete.
2. Use a spirit level and find a levelled surface in all axis. This will help with accurate yawing.
3. Do the calibration the moment you turn on the Phantom. Have the Adv IMU screen ready and have the USB plugged in before turning on the phantom. The ADV IMU screen can be found in TOOLS > Advance Tab. Depending on your ambient temps, there is a chance that the MC Temperature warning may appear. If you do it quick enough, you may not see it this warning. If you do see the warning, just continue. What you want is the calibration to complete with green ticks under 2 minutes.

When done, go to an open field and do the compass dance.

From the error message you received this isn't a P2 non vision but rather a P2 vision+ with it's own camera and gimbal. Is that correct?? This the bottom side of a P2 NV.
View attachment 35599
Hey, I have a Phantom 2 (non vision) with a gimbal installed that supports a go pro. Why do you ask? The picture you showed looks pretty close to mine. Do you have any advice?

Doesn't matter which P2 you have but you need to address those errors and do an IMU calibration.
I do think you have a P2 NV as you cannot see those warnings without the DJI vision app.

The compass error warning you see is normal if you are near metals. This will happen if you sit it next to a PC or speaker or magnets. There is also metal in concrete, what is known as rebar. This is why you should NEVER do the compass calibration indoors or near metal structures. Find an open field and keep the phantom above 150cm when doing the compass dance.

Restarting Flight controller = turn off your phantom and remote controller.

Doing an ADVANCED IMU:
All we are doing is re-aligning the sensors in the inertia measuring unit. Your gyro/accelerometer could have been knocked around after a heavy bump.
1. Make sure the phantom hasn't been flown for an hour or so. Phantom needs to be cold. The hotter the phantom is, the less chance of a successful calibration and it will take longer to complete.
2. Use a spirit level and find a levelled surface in all axis. This will help with accurate yawing.
3. Do the calibration the moment you turn on the Phantom. Have the Adv IMU screen ready and have the USB plugged in before turning on the phantom. The ADV IMU screen can be found in TOOLS > Advance Tab. Depending on your ambient temps, there is a chance that the MC Temperature warning may appear. If you do it quick enough, you may not see it this warning. If you do see the warning, just continue. What you want is the calibration to complete with green ticks under 2 minutes.

When done, go to an open field and do the compass dance.

Wow, this is so confusing. The box says Phantom 2, without Vision, and my remote is definitely not a Vision remote.
It is possible that my girlfriend downloaded the wrong version of the app. Is this a big deal? I definitely have a Phantom 2 nv.

Okay, so restarting flight controller is basically restarting the remote and the drone. I have definitely done that many times to no avail. Bad sign I guess?

Also, about step 2.
What is a spirit level? And what is accurate yawning?

And by calibration, do you mean what I flick the top right switch back and forth at least six times to start the process, or is this a different type of calibration?

Thanks for your help

Wow, this is so confusing. The box says Phantom 2, without Vision, and my remote is definitely not a Vision remote.
It is possible that my girlfriend downloaded the wrong version of the app. Is this a big deal? I definitely have a Phantom 2 nv.

Okay, so restarting flight controller is basically restarting the remote and the drone. I have definitely done that many times to no avail. Bad sign I guess?

Also, about step 2.
What is a spirit level? And what is accurate yawning?

And by calibration, do you mean what I flick the top right switch back and forth at least six times to start the process, or is this a different type of calibration?

Thanks for your help

Find the online manual. I think you need to have a good read. Make sure you read it a few times.

Anyways,
Yours is the NON VISION. Get the correct app.

Spirit is a bubble level. Builders use this to make sure things are parallel or perpendicular to the earth. Yawing is the ability for the phantom to spin. If the IMU is inaccurate, you will get drift in your yaw.

Flicking the right switch x5 initiates compass calibration and NOT IMU calibration. These are 2 independent calibrations. Compass is for direction and IMU is for gyro and accelerometer (sensors that keep the phantom stable).
Compass you do outside. IMU can be done indoors.

Hey, I have a Phantom 2 (non vision) with a gimbal installed that supports a go pro. Why do you ask? The picture you showed looks pretty close to mine. Do you have any advice?

The reason for asking is that P2 NV does not use an app. In other words you cannot use the GoPro's wifi as works on the same frequency (2.4GHZ) as the P2.

It was suggested by Mako79 that you do an advanced IMU calibration in the P2 assistant software and it would be helpful if you sat down and read the users manual. Here's a link to the manual if you haven't a copy.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

Find the online manual. I think you need to have a good read. Make sure you read it a few times.

Anyways,

Spirit is a bubble level. Builders use this to make sure things are parallel or perpendicular to the earth. Yawing is the ability for the phantom to spin. If the IMU is inaccurate, you will get drift in your yaw.

Flicking the right switch x5 initiates compass calibration and NOT IMU calibration. These are 2 independent calibrations. Compass is for direction and IMU is for gyro and accelerometer (sensors that keep the phantom stable).

Hello,
I am still confused as to why I have the wrong software. I have been downloading it from the right spot. Here is where I'm getting it from.

Attachments

• where i downloaded software.jpg
    where i downloaded software.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 335

Anyways,

Here is the compass error that I am getting from the software

Attachments

• compass error.jpg
    compass error.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 395

Anyways,

And then I managed to pull off the IMU. But after it goes through it, it says it worked, but nothing changes. The lights on the drone are still solid red. And now the propellers don't work. And the calibration I used to do in the field no longer works. I guess this means I need to buy a new compass? I followed all the steps right?

Thanks

Attachments

• advanced cali.jpg
    advanced cali.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 308
And then I managed to pull off the IMU. But after it goes through it, it says it worked, but nothing changes. The lights on the drone are still solid red. And now the propellers don't work. And the calibration I used to do in the field no longer works. I guess this means I need to buy a new compass? I followed all the steps right?

Thanks

Looking at the screen shot you've posted Indicates that you have a problem with the compass as the reading are (0) zero. Now either the cable running to the compass is damaged or disconnected inside the shell. First make sure the compass cable is seated correctly into the compass on the landing gear then check along that cable for any cuts and finally inside the shell make sure it's plugged fully into the socket. There is the possibility that you may have an older GPS module with two cables coming from the module so check to see if there are two or just one. The newer module only has one cable.

From the looks of the screen shots you posted you are using a Mac computer. Is that correct??

Thanks

By the way where you located country or state?

Looking at the screen shot you've posted Indicates that you have a problem with the compass as the reading are (0) zero. Now either the cable running to the compass is damaged or disconnected inside the shell. First make sure the compass cable is seated correctly into the compass on the landing gear then check along that cable for any cuts and finally inside the shell make sure it's plugged fully into the socket. There is the possibility that you may have an older GPS module with two cables coming from the module so check to see if there are two or just one. The newer module only has one cable.

From the looks of the screen shots you posted you are using a Mac computer. Is that correct??
I have checked the wire and it appears to be in good condition. The connection looks good on both sides. When the crash happened, the compass had a lot of dirty it in, but, I cleared it out and the compass looks in good condition. And GPS has one cable coming from it. I guess the worry I have is that the compass isn't the real problem, and if I replace it, nothing will happen.

And yes I am using a Mac. And I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Post your location in your personal details page..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20