Soldier's Field:Revisited

That's great!

Is that in Rochester, MN? There's a similar park there...it's been a while since I've been there.

Well done Kyle you have some seriously strong images in that film. Beautiful filming on the statues. I really liked the start of the music but it when it kicked up gear I felt the shots didn't match the strength of the music as well. Music is such a personal thing though. I loved the reveal of the memorial "soldiers field' and the shot of the first statue was just brilliant. You taught me something there so thanks very much.

Thanks. I quite agree w/ you. I was just there for a short while filming and those were my only remaining shots w/c showed some drama to it. And yes, this is in Rochester.

happydogs said:
oh, i'm so touched. this is a subject very special to me....

...and many other people across all borders and the globe.

Sitting here having my last morning cup of coffee (I have already been out flying the Phantom, my EOX, Hubsan, and my modified EOX- burning the heck out of some lipos) that we have pilots all over the world who live beside or near memorials.

How unique, and epic would it be if we all went out and took say, 5 minutes of raw aerial footage, compiled it all together with one person who would be willing, and able to do the edit justice, and make a cooperative free amateur film honoring the world's war dead?

I do not romanticize war- but it is an unfortunate fact of human existence thus far in our sagas.

I personally have a wealth of Civil War memorial and landscape subjects within driving, and walking distance.

If there is will and interest in this, then I will contribute- footage and time (I am not the edit guy by the way- I lack skill to do it justice) if this were to culminate into something. I also would add that there is a non profit effort out there, which I cannot find the name right now, that works to match up disabled vets with r/c fpv gear to be able to remove themselves from the confines of wheelchairs and similar hindrances to the psyche... this would help bring more attention to that if we were to maybe bring them in on the venture. I would not be a part of anything that sought to make money; only pro bono efforts- let the money it might be able to generate go directly into that charity that helps vets (or similar "Global" effort- no jingoists need apply)

Just a thought. (I have a slew of friends who are vets)

It would be an interesting project. Similar in nature to the Facebook group 'Phantom World Film Project'. I included 2 war memorials in my recent film about the New Forest, I shot the Canadian memorial in the heart of the forest and the monument to the various New Forest Airfields. They certainly make for atmospheric locations.

Hiway said:
happydogs said:
oh, i'm so touched. this is a subject very special to me....

...and many other people across all borders and the globe.

Sitting here having my last morning cup of coffee (I have already been out flying the Phantom, my EOX, Hubsan, and my modified EOX- burning the heck out of some lipos) that we have pilots all over the world who live beside or near memorials.

How unique, and epic would it be if we all went out and took say, 5 minutes of raw aerial footage, compiled it all together with one person who would be willing, and able to do the edit justice, and make a cooperative free amateur film honoring the world's war dead?

I do not romanticize war- but it is an unfortunate fact of human existence thus far in our sagas.

I personally have a wealth of Civil War memorial and landscape subjects within driving, and walking distance.

If there is will and interest in this, then I will contribute- footage and time (I am not the edit guy by the way- I lack skill to do it justice) if this were to culminate into something. I also would add that there is a non profit effort out there, which I cannot find the name right now, that works to match up disabled vets with r/c fpv gear to be able to remove themselves from the confines of wheelchairs and similar hindrances to the psyche... this would help bring more attention to that if we were to maybe bring them in on the venture. I would not be a part of anything that sought to make money; only pro bono efforts- let the money it might be able to generate go directly into that charity that helps vets (or similar "Global" effort- no jingoists need apply)

Just a thought. (I have a slew of friends who are vets)

this is a wonderful idea that would give due homage to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. so, let's talk.

first, i may have the contacts to do the editing and then post up. (if you google "Soldier Dead Michael Sledge" a lot will come up.) i've written and been interviewed by Washington Post, Wall St. Journal, A&E, History Channel, etc. any one of which might want to take this on in a production sense.

to do so, we'd have to have clips from all over, along with the "story" behind each clip. which cemetery? how many dead? which war?

of course, people are always capable of justing free-styling the project and to put it up on vimeo, fbook, and so on.

i'm just suggesting that there might be an approach to a major producer who would get behind this project.

thoughts?

That is an interesting suggestion for phantom users to work on a project like that for our soldiers. I would gladly provide some more footages ( aerial and actual camworks) if this idea will happen. As for our local Soldier's Field, it is a beautiful memoriam here in Rochester. It really is a sacred place and reminds us of our men and women serving. Respect!

I live adjacent to The Antietam Battlefield, and the National Cemetery of Antietam. I am just finishing up a research project on George Alfred Townsend's War Correspondent's Memorial Arch (the only memorial of it's type in the world)

The Antietam memorials about are legion... and my particular favorite spot in the entire park is "Burnside's Bridge" which in my opinion should have been named "Toomb's Bridge" once you know the story behind that site. I have "The Cornfield" and "West Woods" in walking distance also.

Within a day's drive are too numerous to list places- not to mention Gettysburg and Arlington and DC, Manassas... but I am positive we have members in all of those places. I think it would be best to have more, instead of fewer film clips- regardless of skill and filming abilities... that is important. Also it should be noted which members served and for whom that submit film footage. That should not be a prerequisite (I have not served, so I have a bias but I would still work on it if it were a rule)

A good editor can make chicken salad out of chicken shyte... mostly :twisted: but my personal opinion is the more contributors, the better the project will be as it will have broader vested interest.

We need a take charge person to spear head things... coordinate and direct... I am an idea guy, and I know my limitations. I can follow orders most of the time (I will get reprimanded for insubordination on rare circumstances) but I cannot take the lead- that should be a veteran or someone familiar with military protocol and all things soldier like.

I'm in... I will pass my contact info along to whomever is elected HMFIC and be available for what I can... I have a free summer other than building and flying- give me a month or 3 and I will have a killer new 250mm fpv rig set up for the gopro... allowing me to whip around under the trees and along gullies.... and "Bloody Lanes"

My suggestion at this point would be to do an easily defined project first, that being the Civil War. Also, a suggestion would be that the vids concentrate on two aspects: 1) the battlefields and 2) the cemeteries.

I do have contacts with the major publishers (Columbia University Press did my book), and with print and film media groups, both for profit and not for profit.

We will have an issue with "right." While I don't want to be too technical regarding copyrights and such, vid contributors would have to realize that they surrender all rights to their work if they submit it, and there is no guarantee that some or any of their work would be incorporated in a final product. they would ALWAYS own the work that they submitted, just not the work as and if incorporated into any possible final product that would be disseminated via any means (facebook, separate web page, dvds, etc.).

group plans often go awry because of greatly varying expectations.

As for "rights" ...I do as I say, and say as I do. If this is truly any sort of concerted effort to either get money to a non profit, or bring awareness which in turn brings money to a non profit, and additionally gains some good will from the public towards hobby uav use (which this would) then I have no concern over any rights... I could care less if my name is on it. I have hours of footage from in, and around the Antietam Battlefield. Not much aerial... but I will slowly be adding to that over the next few months. I would gladly donate all of it- raw. I would even download it on a thumb drive, and pay shipping to send it to the editor anywhere on the globe.

With that said, here is how I spent my day. Ironically- there is no "Phantom" used here. I was testing out some COG and tweaking the PFG Xtreme and getting hazardous with the stock version when there were no people around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hty9jjEfGPg

Obviously I am a thread killer... this idea just went stale.

Such is life.

lol....no, I think many of us are just on to another subject now...and we do remember this...it may come back to life.

happydogs said:
My suggestion at this point would be to do an easily defined project first, that being the Civil War.

Which civil war would that be?. I am assuming the American?. Unfortunately if that's the case not all of us can contribute ;)

xgeek said:
happydogs said:
My suggestion at this point would be to do an easily defined project first, that being the Civil War.

Which civil war would that be?. I am assuming the American?. Unfortunately if that's the case not all of us can contribute ;)

:) for sure!! and i give you all due credit for having much better command of english than i do of your language!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers