Sold P2V and ordered P2V+ ---Questions

Reaction score
I decided to upgrade from my Vision and ordered a new P2V Plus.

Couple of questions for those who have done the same:

1.) DJI site shows the Video Downlink @ 700M for Plus (300M for P2V). Has anyone personally noticed a distinct difference in distance?

2.) Controllable range: -90 degree -0 for Plus. What is this?

3.)Does the extra 100 or so grams on the Plus make a difference? Any flight differences?

That's all I can think of for now. I'm very excited about my new arrival ;-)

Pmcdn said:

1.) DJI site shows the Video Downlink @ 700M for Plus (300M for P2V). Has anyone personally noticed a distinct difference in distance?

3.)Does the extra 100 or so grams on the Plus make a difference? Any flight differences?

1. You will get much better range from the V+ due to the RE700 range extender. 700m is common place. I once saw 1200m over the sea.

2. I would assume this is the camera tilt angle - it can point 90 deg straight down. With the new controller the tilt is super smooth.

3. The V+ is considered by many to be much more fragile than the P2V as the gimbal assembly is spindly. However, if you learn to hand catch, you won't ever bump it and this will eliminate 99% of the issues with the gimbal.

4. Your video footage will be 100000000000000% smoother. At least.

Enjoy!

Connor

Just be careful. The Vision 2+ is a totally different drone with a REALLY flimsy camera. First time you hit a tree you are looking at $800 to replace it.

rbhamilton said:
Just be careful. The Vision 2+ is a totally different drone with a REALLY flimsy camera. First time you hit a tree you are looking at $800 to replace it.

Do those gimbal guards and such you can buy that supposedly protect it from coming apart help? Is that mostly the issue?

Pmcdn said:

Good move.

1. The difference in distance is the vPlus dominates in many way.

2. Talking about the gimbal down ward angle.

3. Absolutely.

I came from owning a P2V and I'm here to say that there is no comparison. You will see this the 1st time you fly and watch your video back. You'll say....****, I should have made this move sooner. My reason for switching was members were coming up with apps of their own making, and the aftermarket was supporting the vPlus heavily. I have zero regrets.

flyNfrank said:
Pmcdn said:

Good move.

1. The difference in distance is the vPlus dominates in many way.

2. Talking about the gimbal down ward angle.

3. Absolutely.

I came from owning a P2V and I'm here to say that there is no comparison. You will see this the 1st time you fly and watch your video back. You'll say....****, I should have made this move sooner. My reason for switching was members were coming up with apps of their own making, and the aftermarket was supporting the vPlus heavily. I have zero regrets.

All good to hear. I'm not a hardcore quad guy, but boy do I love it! When I got my P2V I thought it was the most incredible piece of affordable technology plus I'm an aviation enthusiast, so if it flys, its cool!

I just like to fly it and take videos of the neighborhood, especially at dawn and dusk. The view is very pretty then. As soon as I began viewing them I noticed all the herky-jerky movement. I'm really hoping the gimbal configuration on the Vplus will smoothen this out and make for much nicer viewing.

I really don't get all this hand catching , just learn how to land. I also don't think hand catching will solve 99% of gimbal accidents. Seems to me , most of the problems are flying into stuff.

Pmcdn said:
Do those gimbal guards and such you can buy that supposedly protect it from coming apart help? Is that mostly the issue?

Mostly the issue....is, everything is exposed with no protection. If you look at your P2V setup it is encased in a plastic shell. The weak part on the vPlus gimbal, is the type of metal used. It is soft and brittle. It bends easy with a less forgiving breaking point. It would be better if the metal didn't break, but the bracket holding it on is what broke instead.

I don't have any protection on my vPlus, yet. I do want to add a new billet bracket that just came out from one of the members here. But it only helps to keep the gimbal together, and is not a full protector. If the gimbal comes apart it breaks the ribbon. Several have crashed their quad and felt they could have fixed the gimbal, but because the ribbon also broke, they would have to buy a completely new gimbal setup.

Bottom line on protecting the gimbal, it's a wise small investment. Just keep in mind, there is nothing on the market that protects the current setup completely.

Pmcdn said:
All good to hear. I'm not a hardcore quad guy, but boy do I love it! When I got my P2V I thought it was the most incredible piece of affordable technology plus I'm an aviation enthusiast, so if it flys, its cool!

I just like to fly it and take videos of the neighborhood, especially at dawn and dusk. The view is very pretty then. As soon as I began viewing them I noticed all the herky-jerky movement. I'm really hoping the gimbal configuration on the Vplus will smoothen this out and make for much nicer viewing.

You are going to be amazed at the difference when it comes to being steady video.

flyNfrank said:
Pmcdn said:

You are going to be amazed at the difference when it comes to being steady video.

+1000. My V+ was out of action for a month or so earlier in the year due to the RE700 range extender not being able to take a charge. (Still waiting for a warranty replacement, btw) (I'm currently using an RE500). While it was out of action I used my old P2V and was almost embarrassed to post the footage!

Mori55 said:
I really don't get all this hand catching , just learn how to land. I also don't think hand catching will solve 99% of gimbal accidents. Seems to me , most of the problems are flying into stuff.

I figured out landing pretty early on.

I descend the quad down to about 6' from the deck, hold there for a couple of seconds, then slowly and deliberately descend all the way down and shut off immediately. Works great!

If I hesitate a few inches from the ground it gets wonky and can tip easily if not careful. If I have to abort the touchdown, I ascend backup to 6' and start over.

Works like a charm! I've never tipped my quad on landing.

I'm distressed by the reported fragility of the V+ gimble. So far, no crashes but I now have KillerRC's billet gimbal protector, that carbon fiber camera protector, some high-strength Locite, and a couple of spare V+ gimball assy cables. I have about a dozen gimbal repair videos in my little YouTube library, and the name of a couple of guys that I've read do gimbal repairs. I'm paranoid, but prepared. Maybe over-prepared.

A lot of us have been flying it since introduction in April with no breakage.
You need to be *aware* it is fragile but it won't do any gimbal much good if you crash.
I suspect the gimbal clamp itself causes some damage on occasion - if carelessly or hastily put on.
Take a long and careful look at how it should go - and it is easy really - but you can force it on incorrectly if not paying attention.

It's a good idea in my opinion to create additional movement reduction as the whole gimbal + guard can bounce about in your case. I now have a piece of foam I pop over - a glorified doughnut shape over the (locked) camera and between the legs.

Mori55 said:
+1

happydays said:
+1000. My V+ was out of action for a month or so earlier in the year due to the RE700 range extender not being able to take a charge. (Still waiting for a warranty replacement, btw) (I'm currently using an RE500). While it was out of action I used my old P2V and was almost embarrassed to post the footage!

It's funny you bring that up. I came across what I think was my 3rd ever flight video the other day, an thought wow! It was a mess with the shaky video. And back then I thought it all was just so cool. But I wouldn't have a problem using it to show a comparison between the two quads now. I just wish the vPlus video looked like it use to before the v3.2 firmware update.

What happened to the video after said upgrade?

un hombre said:
What happened to the video after said upgrade?

It went downhill. A person use to put vPlus and gopro video next to each another and the vPlus video clearly stood on top. Not anymore. It looks like to me a developer involved with the v3.2 upgrade thought they would make adjustments in the firmware camera settings to their own liking. Adjustments made there affects everyone's camera which is why we can't clean it up per the user settings. Now that I have access to see what the firmware looks like to the developer, it's a very good possibility.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31