Soft vs. hard case

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I apologise if this topic has been covered before. I searched it and didn't see anything.

What offers more protection for your drone? Hard case or soft case? I need to buy my first case for the Phantom 3 Standard and am looking for a carry on size bag to take on the plane. What do you use? I'm looking at this: Bangcool Drone Bag DJI Phantom 3 Waterproof Backpack Nylon Travel Shoulder Bag Also A Camera Bag Amazon.com: Bangcool Drone Bag DJI Phantom 3 Waterproof Backpack Nylon Travel Shoulder Bag Also A Camera Bag: Camera & Photo

The hard shells are going to give you more protection, but they JUST BARELY fit as a carry-on (mostly). I would go with the nylon for airline travel.

I am just using a hard shell carry on with rollers which I place my P4P foam box in along with other accessories.

I am just using a hard shell carry on with rollers which I place my P4P foam box in along with other accessories.
I'm considering just going for the DJI hard shell backpack. It's $100 on Amazon and fits into the carry on specs. Thoughts? I know a downside is the DJI branding can make you a target for thieves.

Reactions: phantomAlex
I just bought a plastic tote at Walmart, put foam in strategic places, used the inside of my box for the drone and everything else fits around the exterior. A bit bulky, but for $13, not a bad fix? Props stay on and all fits perfect!

I too have been doing research on cases out there. I am looking at soft case but need extra compartments for misc junk. Question 1) any recommendations? Question 2) your opinion does paying a premium and a high end brand worth the money? $200 plus versus let's say $70ish?
Thanks for the info.
PS. I don't have any plans on plane travel, just carrying to launch site. Sometimes through woods in adirondax mountains.

$40 ebay hard case and done! I've bought two of them now and they are perfect. Exact replica of the DJI case.

Reactions: BrokenSausage
I wouldn't give DJI any of my hard earned $$$ for their hard case, it is too overpriced, like a 130% markup on something you can find plenty of online for $40-$70 that will give the same level of protection.

Reactions: 805hd
MultiStar DJI P3 soft case from Hobby KIng .... good quality and cheaper than equivalents on Amazon / eBay ...

I bought soft case as I always put more in than designed !!

NIgel

I have both a hard case and a soft case for my P3S. I have a Nanuk 950 hard case that fits the drone with props on and all the accessories I have. It is a wheeled case with a retractable handle. Yes it is heavy and bulky but I can throw it in the car with everything else when I go camping and not worry about it. I paid CDN$200 for it and it is worth every penny. I also just purchased a cheap backpack case (CDN$40). It is light and fits the drone with props off, a couple of batteries, and controller. I just put the props in the outside pocket. It is a great solution for when I am hiking or bike riding.

I have a large hard case for my 2 DSLRs and lenses as well as photo backpacks. As with the phantom cases I have they serve different purposes and no one case is perfect for everything I do with it.

Hope this helps.

chris

I think I'm leaning towards the Polar Pro Drone Trekker. I don't really like the "foam brick in soft fabric" cases - they seem cheaply made and I don't want to have to deal with cutting any foam for unprecise cutouts. It is tempting though since they are so much cheaper.

If willing to wait for 2 to 3 weeks, go to Banggood.com and search for "phantom 4 case". I placed an order to buy an aluminum case for $40 !!!

I grabbed the Polar Pro Drone Trekker bag for $104 with a promo code direct from Polar Pro. Thanks for all the input!

I just bought a plastic tote at Walmart, put foam in strategic places, used the inside of my box for the drone and everything else fits around the exterior. A bit bulky, but for $13, not a bad fix? Props stay on and all fits perfect!

Capitol idea!! Or is it capital? I have been thinking about doing something about replacing the original boxes my Two drones came in. Thanks for posting that idea!:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1