Soft Focus on the Edges? Normal?

Reaction score
A little noisy... but that's expected. Sharp in the middle of the sensor, but soft on the edges. Is this normal? All manual settings, ISO 324, .3 seconds, 6500K. not super evident in this lo-res version of the image... but the full res definitely noticeable.
thanks.....
DJI_0192.jpg

Stunning image ! Can you post a high res image online (Google Photos, Flickr etc) and then share the link here? Not sure you will be able to get mush feedback based this particular upload

here is the full res link... mostly raw... just some basic bridge settings and lens distortion removal applied.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RjhKOWNRNERVTkxKYUlfczhOenhqc01PemdTUGNB
So I agree that it does appear somewhat softer on edges but this issue is not as obvious (to me) as the noise in the sky and water. If sharpness is your main concern, maybe a longer exposure at a higher ISO (of course this will make it noisier). Have you considered an ND filter? This would cause a longer exposure but not sure if this will be offset by prolonged camera movement.

yes... noise is a bummer for sure... but i guess this sensor can only do so much. would the X3 or X5 handle it better? i would assume so... but enough to warrant an few thousand dollars more? ... and i really don't want to start flying a giant rig with an A7 or something. oh well... all things considered, totally respectable at the price point... just not quite pro level.

I have notice similar problems in my Phantom 4... I would say mine is worse. There are a lots of write ups about the Phantom 3 with soft edges and people have sent them in for repairs.. I think I'll do the same..

Here are my finding: All three attached images are from the same JPG, but I cropped in using photoshop to show how soft the top left image is and how much better the center of the image is.

Attachments

• DJI_0171_1000k.jpg
    DJI_0171_1000k.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 385
  • DJI_0171CropCenter.jpg
    DJI_0171CropCenter.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 502
  • DJI_0171CropTopLFT.jpg
    DJI_0171CropTopLFT.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 478
yes... noise is a bummer for sure... but i guess this sensor can only do so much. would the X3 or X5 handle it better? i would assume so... but enough to warrant an few thousand dollars more? ... and i really don't want to start flying a giant rig with an A7 or something. oh well... all things considered, totally respectable at the price point... just not quite pro level.

There is nothing wrong with your photo. In fact it is remarkely good!!
The softness at the outer edges is marginal. Every lens shows this kind of softness at the edges unless you have a very high quality lens and have turned the F-stop down to 5,6-8.

In photoshop(raw-filter) you can easily suppress the noise. Do this on a separate layer and use a mask so that only the sky and water are affected.
And don't forget; a blue sky looks much more natural with a tiny little bit of noise!

The x3 has the same camera as the P4.

By the way a nice picture with a very nice balance between light and dark.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic