So you're sick of the stock tilt lever?

Reaction score
I sure was. Followed the instructions here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8399
Now my left hand doesn't have to search for the lever and remember which way is which. I can now use my right middle finger for very fine tilt tuning.
The notch on the knob makes sense too. Pointed right (as in the picture, 3 o'clock) the gimbal looks straight, turn clockwise pointing down (6 o'clock) for straight down. The same as if you imagine the GoPro poisiton from the side.
I set the tilt sensitivity in the Phantom software to "2'' for very fine and slow tilting. Although if the knob is turned quickly, it still changes position fast, but gradually.

dERNQLPl.jpg

would you mind posting a picture of which GoPro pieces you used to mount you monitor?

I have been looking at your but can't see it well enough to see what you did.

Thanks

The part stuck to the Tx is the curved sticky mount that came with the camera. But I would recommend using the flat one, I had already stuck mine somewhere else.
Mounted to that is a standard tripod adapter. I don't even think mine is GoPro, I think I got an AEE adapter - they're GoPro's competition and their accessorie are much cheaper, all of the mounting things like the suction are compatible with GoPro parts, their plastic just isn't as shiny.
The adapter is screwed into the monitor, I think most come with the tripod hole on the bottom.

41v8ypa2DnL._SX300_.jpg

^ not this extended one, but the basic shorter kind

Universal-Tripod-Mount-Base-Holder-adapter-New-Connector-screw-for-AS15-AS30V-Action-Cameras-Fit-AEE.jpg

The whole monitor then snaps off the base pad whenever you need.

Fyod said:
The part stuck to the Tx is the curved sticky mount that came with the camera. But I would recommend using the flat one, I had already stuck mine somewhere else.
Mounted to that is a standard tripod adapter. I don't even think mine is GoPro, I think I got an AEE adapter - they're GoPro's competition and their accessorie are much cheaper, all of the mounting things like the suction are compatible with GoPro parts, their plastic just isn't as shiny.
The adapter is screwed into the monitor, I think most come with the tripod hole on the bottom.

41v8ypa2DnL._SX300_.jpg

^ not this extended one, but the basic shorter kind

Universal-Tripod-Mount-Base-Holder-adapter-New-Connector-screw-for-AS15-AS30V-Action-Cameras-Fit-AEE.jpg

The whole monitor then snaps off the base pad whenever you need.

Thanks. It was the tripod adapter that I couldn't see. I have that monster carbon fiber one now but I am going to change it to a setup like your.

It does look like sanding the DJI logo down on the transmitter will make it stick best. Did you do that?

Nope, since my sticky pad is curved it doesn't stick on 100%, but the original GoPro 3M tape holds so great.
So I wouldn't worry about the logo. I have never had the sticky come off even in hot weather and even though the monitor is heavy-ish and at an angle.
I also carry the Tx by the metal bar, so the monitor is "hanging" and it holds on wonderfully. Just make sure to tighten the tripod screw really good so the monitor doesn't swivel.

zMUz7X9l.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I just ordered that tripod mount off ebay from China. I couldn't find it in the US so I'll have to wait a month or so.

Thanks again for all your help. i plan on doing the pitch mod also. I never get smooth action using the lever on the back of the transmitter. I made the movement pretty slow in the software but I think the know will really help. I just have to think about where I want the knob. I have seen it done in a couple of different places.

Glad to help.

Placement is important in that the instructions in the link I provided have the pot turining counterclockwise for aiming down.
Mine is clockwise for down. If you want it clockwise like mine, be sure to flip where the double 910ohm resistors are soldered = to the other side potenciometer leg (middle leg is always 910ohm).

Hello, I'm fairly new to the PhantomPilots forum but thought I'd throw in my thoughts on this thread. I was very pleased with my P2 controls, all except the cheesy tilt control that is. I looked at a number of mods on line and found one that looked the easiest. It was a simple 100k ohm linear (not 'audio') pot with three wires going to where the little tilt pot used to be. You have to remember to do a setup on the RC assistant as well as on the P2 assistant to get the stops and limits correct. I can't seem to get the P2 Assist. to change the speed but the 100k-ohm is smooth as a baby's butt. I do have a question regarding the trim pots on the controller board though. What does the other trim pot that is accessible on the back of the controller do exactly??

That is the CE to FCC mode potenciometer, used to change compliance mode and range only on Visions and Vision+, not non-Vision, although physically all remotes have them.
Phantom Vision models have 5.8Ghz remote control, whereas us non-Visioners have 2.4Ghz remote control.

Another consideration for location of tilt knob is backside of TX. My first P2 was mounted on front and sometimes I would accidently bump the S1 switch into another position getting to the knob. My new P2 I put the pot on the back TX shell where it felt best for the index finger. Since a big knob was a must, I had to use a dremel to remove a portion of the hump where the handle attaches to shell for knob to be closer to surface of shell. This location feels more natural in that I can keep hands and fingers where I normally do when flying and while changing camera tilt. The only other mod that I would consider a better fit is a slide switch in the right side corner, opposite of where the new P2 TX puts it.

Attachments

• TiltKnob.JPG
    TiltKnob.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 880

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1