So who's dumping their P4 for Mavic?

Not keen on the design of the controller at all. Having the Phone/mini tablet below makes you look further down away from the bird and having your arms up above might be a little uncomfortable not being more relaxed on your sides. Something that you would need to handle yourself I guess to get a better feel for it .
I rest my p4 controller on my stomach and if you were to do the same with this one, wouldnt you be more likely to have your phone fall off ? Just wondering .

Not keen on the design of the controller at all. Having the Phone/mini tablet below makes you look further down away from the bird and having your arms up above might be a little uncomfortable not being more relaxed on your sides. Something that you would need to handle yourself I guess to get a better feel for it .
I rest my p4 controller on my stomach and if you were to do the same with this one, wouldnt you be more likely to have your phone fall off ? Just wondering .
I guess there is going to be no stopping of the P4 vs Mavic comparison and even if the Mavic takes better images (which I doubt) and it most definitely seems like it has the better downlink in the new OcuSync so it might actually be "better" than the P4 but IT'S A DIFFERENT crowd that it's attacking.

You are in the market for the P5. Enjoy your P4 in the meantime and know that DJI is still innovating their arses off. The good stuff that comes from the Mavic is good for the P5.

Personally, I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on the Mavic but I am well aware of the reasons why I want it and it's NOT to replace my P4. Just as my P4 isn't replacing my S1000, Tornado or any of the DIY UASs I have that will carry heavy payloads. Everything has a purpose and choices are good. P4 vs Mavic. There is nothing stopping that phrase but it's an erroneous one to me although it appears that aside from the controller, the Mavic can almost match what the P4 can do (by specs) but imagine if they can fit a P4 tech inside of something that small now, what will be in the next mid-size.

Yeah, that's a good analogy. The Mavic is a Miata, the P4 is a Tauras, the Inspire is a Lincoln and a DIY octo with a Ronin and your favorite camera is a tractor. The tractor serves a distinct purpose and fun is not the reason although some do enjoy driving a tractor. :)

but heard there was an outside chance the P4 controller will be compatible with the Mavic
There is no chance. They are not compatible.

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
I personally also think that shell replacements and self-repairs will be much more difficult with the Mavic, but that remains to be seen.

I personally also think that shell replacements and self-repairs will be much more difficult with the Mavic
Per a few DJI employees who have them now, they are not going to be self-serviceable. Most people will end up sending them to a repair shop to be fixed.

I knew I read this somewhere before , it was Big Chuck from DBS mods saying this . He said Give it a minit... the controller that comes with P4 Pro or Inspire 2 will bind with this and give full function... I guarantee it...

If it does, I doubt you'll get image transmission Ocusync is another tech vs lightbridge....Unless....Lightbridge=Ocusync@720P with a fallback mode, but this would sound unlikely...

Well I've ordered the Mavic Pro (payday today and it was a good month!) but I'll keep the P4. Took it out tonight, fantastic pictures and video through my PolarPro Vivid series filters. The P4 really is a great drone - I'm getting confident enough to let it do its thing! Hoping the Mavic is even 50% as good - the ability to take it ANYWHERE is fascinating....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I wouldn't be 100% sure it won't fit a mini.

I can swear I read somewhere that the controller will work with "your phone or pad".

In fact, I know I read that but it might have been on some blog and a person wrote that. I am not sure.

If you look at the controller, it certainly looks like it can open out to support a mini pad, right?

phpghhioo.jpg

Depends on if you are in landscape or portrait. The Mini is about 5.3 inches wide and the iPhone 6+ is about 3.3" wide and 6" high but we use it in landscape (the longer dimension mode usually). I believe the 7+ is actually a drop smaller but don't quote me.

Here are the Mini 4's dimensions: 203.2 x 134.8 x 6.1 mm (8.0" x 5.31" x 0.24")
Here are the Mavic's: Thickness Supported:6.5-8.5mm Max length: 160mm/6.299" Supported USB port types: Lightning, Micro USB(Type-B),USB(Type-C)™

Still looks like a no go at this point. I'm wondering if some aftermarket joint can make lengthened attachment arms for 8" tablets. Since the Mavics can go up to 160 mm or 6.3", a little over an inch and a half doesn't seem too much to add. You just may need longer thumbs, though.

Per a few DJI employees who have them now, they are not going to be self-serviceable. Most people will end up sending them to a repair shop to be fixed.

And booooom goes the dynamite. This probably also means that DJI will not be selling spare parts for the Mavic. All this means is that even if you have a small crash which is easily user-fixable, it won't be, and you'll be stuck shelling out hundreds of dollars to get it fixed.

Too bad I can't invest in DJI, I'd love to buy some stock right about now. Apple runs a similar ecosystem and I've made a pretty penny off them. Can't wait until DJI goes total Apple, which I believe is the trajectory they are heading.

I fully expect a DJI (Apple) vs OtherCompetitor (Android) battle to start in the next 2 years. I hope this post serves as proof that I called it :)

The only people complaining about video and still image quality are people who know very little about it. First of all the P4 has terrible low light capabilities because of the sensor size. Nothing really to do about it. While you get very good still images, there is no way an P4 can compete with an Insprie RAW with interchangeable M4/3 lenses. The same can be said of the Mavic. It is a very capable machine but to expect professional quality images and video shows how little many here actually know about photography and videography. You pays your money and you take your chances. I will get a Mavic because I understand what I am getting and the capabilities of the device.

Reactions: Jussaguy
And booooom goes the dynamite. This probably also means that DJI will not be selling spare parts for the Mavic. All this means is that even if you have a small crash which is easily user-fixable, it won't be, and you'll be stuck shelling out hundreds of dollars to get it fixed.

Too bad I can't invest in DJI, I'd love to buy some stock right about now. Apple runs a similar ecosystem and I've made a pretty penny off them. Can't wait until DJI goes total Apple, which I believe is the trajectory they are heading.

I fully expect a DJI (Apple) vs OtherCompetitor (Android) battle to start in the next 2 years. I hope this post serves as proof that I called it :)
You and about half the world. Noted.

Big Chuck from DBS mods saying this . He said Give it a minit... the controller that comes with P4 Pro or Inspire 2 will bind with this and give full function... I guarantee it...
I can agree with this since all near future aircraft will use OcuSync. I thought you were referring to a P4 remote controller above -- when you said the "P4".

I knew I read this somewhere before , it was Big Chuck from DBS mods saying this . He said Give it a minit... the controller that comes with P4 Pro or Inspire 2 will bind with this and give full function... I guarantee it...
I was assuming the same.

Same sensor, different lens.

I have seen the first lot of vlogger images and thought eeewww, not nice. Then I heard DJI say "vloggers didnt focus correctly". Then I see the images after they say they improved it, and it looks a little better, but still not on par with the P4.

Image quality is paramount for me, so I think the Mavic is over priced, or the P4 is under priced. I would put the Mavic at £800/$600 and the P4 at £1150/$850.

If image quality is paramount to you, then buy an Inspire RAW and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I just bought my P4 a week ago..so I'm in return window still and have considered returning it for a Mavic but leaning towards keeping P4.

I will be selling off my P3p with all its accessories but I will be keeping my P4 until the Mavic Pro is supported by LitChi flightplans..

hzl
ps if I was in your position.. and in the return window I would return the P4 and wait for the Mavic Pro.. no question about it..

If image quality is paramount to you, then buy an Inspire RAW and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
No, if looks are paramount to you, get an X5 and save a couple grand but if broadcast is paramount to you than get an X5R because while definitely a better image, not so much that it warrants the difference in cost unless you need Raw because you are going somewhere else with your footage like a post ecosystem.

X5 encodes H264 on the fly and X5R is Raw Adobe Cinema DNG for pro deliverables with higher bitrate (by a lot) but if you don't know exactly why you want the X5R, you don't need it, IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20