So what's the deal with the camera?

That's referring to the feed though, however the video is much the same as P4 though possibly not so digitally sharpened in camera at default (good thing).

Realised after I posted the link but if you take the time to read through the thread, it's all pointing to the Mavic being as good, if not, better than the P4 in many respects. I'm struggling to find a post where it's lagging the P4 on any particular feature. If you factor in the compact size and OcuSync, there's simply no reason to consider the P4 IMO.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on why you think the Mavic is not a P4 replacement. If the P4 and Mavic were lined up side by side in the store and you were the salesman, what reasons would you provide to the customer which would convince them to buy the P4?

From all reports, the Mavic camera is on par with the P4. Wind is no issue - see the leaf blower test where it looked like it actually performed better than the P4. It has more features, is microscopic and weighs a fraction of the P4.

Then why not just name it phantom 5?
Yeah, because it's not a phantom replacement. The camera optics are good but from what we've all seen, it's still not on par with the P4. The P4 is crisps right out the SD, where the mavic needs to be touched up to match. Ask yourself why would they release something cheaper yet much superior to the phantom which was released like 6 months ago? Because it's not, both were likely in development at the same time.

Which such a slim profile, I doubt I'll be able to land or take off from my lawn like I do with my P4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Then why not just name it phantom 5?
Yeah, because it's not a phantom replacement. The camera optics are good but from what we've all seen, it's still not on par with the P4. The P4 is crisps right out the SD, where the mavic needs to be touched up to match. Ask yourself why would they release something cheaper yet much superior to the phantom which was released like 6 months ago? Because it's not, both were likely in development at the same time.

Which such a slim profile, I doubt I'll be able to land or take off from my lawn like I do with my P4.

Have a read through the links I sent. There's a tonne of posts from independent DJI testers and they're all contradicting the specific points you make re the camera on the Mavic vs the P4. They're saying the camera is as good, if not better, than the P4. So you can form your own opinion via unreliable sources or get it straight from the horses mouth on that thread.

If you've seen samples where the videos aren't 'crisp', it's because the camera wasn't focused and it's been pointed out ad nauseum. Have a read through the thread I posted links to. There's a wealth of information on there with lots of focused sample videos and independent reviews.

It sounds like the P4 may be a better fit for you if you want to launch it off your lawn :) apart from that, all reports are that the Mavic is better in every other respect.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The difference is disappointing. I guess I'll keep my Phantom 4 and the Mavic, when I buy it :) The portability of the Mavic is going to be worth the trade-off most of the time.
That's what I'm doing. Keeping the P4 for more important photo/video situations and the MP for a little bit more fun and when the smaller form size warrants.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why a customer would purchase a P4 over a Mavic if they're sitting side by side on the shelf.

I guess this should answer your question:
Camera-Drones-940x640.jpg

You need to tap the screen to get the correct focus and that will get rid of soft video and it will be nice a sharp. I watched a YouTube video regarding it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: gyrex
I've just sold my P3P. It was a great piece of kit and still is, but I missed a ton of opportunities and left it on the shelf because of portability. I'd have loved to use it for mountain biking, snowboarding, climbing etc but it was just a bag of kit too far to lug around.

I have an Inspire 1 Pro for 'serious' assignments and mapping and figure the Mavic will open up a world more possibilities because of its portability lending itself to more opportunities to use it.

I'm also very keen to try the activetrack feature when I'm standup paddleboarding. It should be small enough to catch land on the board and stash in my little waterproof deck bag. Exciting times!

There sure are a lot of conclusions being drawn for something nobody has had their hands on except a few select reviewers. :D

There sure are a lot of conclusions being drawn for something nobody has had their hands on except a few select reviewers. :D
I'm only relaying information from reliable and trusted individuals on rcgroups who happen to have their hands on the Mavic. They're providing us with a heap of detailed and comprehensive information and considering they have the Mavic and we don't, we're relying on their experience second hand.

I trust them and their assessment that it's as good or better than the P4 so I've pulled the pin on my Mavic purchase.

I think one way to test the cameras is to shoot stills in RAW and compare. If they look comparable; then it's likely the reason the video looks softer with the Mavic is because the compression used is "higher" and/or more "lossy" than the P4--something that in theory could be fixed by a firmware update.

I think one way to test the cameras is to shoot stills in RAW and compare. If they look comparable; then it's likely the reason the video looks softer with the Mavic is because the compression used is "higher" and/or more "lossy" than the P4--something that in theory could be fixed by a firmware update.
Click on the links I posted earlier. There's uncompressed DNG files on one of them. Mavic looks almost identical to the P4 zoomed and cropped.

Instead of all these personal opinions on the quality of the Mavic videos what I would like to see are photos and videos of an optical test chart . Can somebody please produce a proper optical test following for example these instructions: Camera Lens Testing- Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration and Distortion - Bob Atkins Photography

Your post sounds rather snooty. We can only go off "personal opinions" at this stage since the Mavic has only been provided to a select few and the testers on rcgroups have been kind enough to provide their valued feedback and some raw images and sample footage. Raw image files have been provided in that thread I posted and you're welcome to do these tests yourself. There's also video footage there too. So we have a combination of image proofing and personal opinion and that's the best we can hope for at this stage.

Is it groundhog day? I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over here...

Following gyrex suggestions, I've made a crop of P4 and Mavic RAW images from https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibfb9qr15n...0test.zip?dl=0

Clearly the Mavic crop on the right, has more detail and it is sharper than the P4 on the left.

View attachment 66229

That's the same feedback and opinion that's been voiced at rcgroups. It's important to note that the image sensor is exactly the same as the P4, although the Mavic lens is narrower at 87deg FOV vs P4 at 92deg (roughly, can't remember off the top of my head).

Nice comparison BTW...

That's the same feedback and opinion that's been voiced at rcgroups. It's important to note that the image sensor is exactly the same as the P4, although the Mavic lens is narrower at 87deg FOV vs P4 at 92deg (roughly, can't remember off the top of my head).

Nice comparison BTW...

Thanks gyrex. The P4 have a lens equivalent to a 20 mm on a 35mm camera while the Mavic is equivalent to a 28mm. The difference is clearly seen in the crops I've posted

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub