So what's the deal with the camera?

There's something TOTALLY off with this comparison. Casey's test unit is screwed up, or he's not focusing it or something. I have seen other footage straight out of the Mavic that looks WAAAAAY sharper than that.

I do believe the plastic dome is supposed to come off when shooting videos. It's on there to protect the camera and gimbal during traveling. Sure, it can be left on doing shooting but you'll likely get softer videos as a result. This is what I've heard anyway. If you watch all of the many promotional videos, some have the dome on, some have the dome off. It would make sense for the dome to add softness to video, wouldn't it?

I agree that there most be something wrong with Casey's drone, or he is just not setting focus properly. The image is just way to soft on the Mavic comparison he just did. It would be a deal breaker for me to have that type of softer image, despite the extra portability. The sensor is the same as the P4 (As confirmed by DJI), so the only reason why the image would be different would be: 1) Lens Quality; 2) Not properly setting focus, since now these lens are auto-focus; 3) software.

Check out Jon Olson's and iJustine videos, they look a lot sharper and almost indistinguishble from a P3/P4:

Also this test from YouTube user Ken Booth:

As mentioned in other threads, Casey just sent out an update noting he did have a focus issue and corrected it. Thank goodness!

Reactions: Ray of Light
As mentioned in other threads, Casey just sent out an update noting he did have a focus issue and corrected it. Thank goodness!
He needs to make a new video. The existing one is going to cause him a headache if he's wrong.

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 12.57.44 PM✨.png

I wish he would make a new one as well to put our minds at peace lol momma few seconds from buying the mavic and hope I don't regret it.

I too hope for a new comparison soon! The soft imaging was a deal breaker so if this was just a simple focus adjustment, I'm tempted to pick up a Mavic. I'd likely keep my P4 too unless I find that it doesn't get used.

It's pretty irresponsible IMO for him to keep the video up on youtube. Based on his video quality in this video there would be a significant effect on Mavic sales by posting crap like this and casual viewers watching it. This is a pre-release drone and his significant audience will be judging purchases based on the videos he posts - I'd be pi55ed if I were DJI marketing.

you think that looks good?? something isn't right, there is no way in hell they can be ok with this subpar quality.

The Karma/go pro camera makes this look like a potato! the P3/4 makes these cameras look like a Polaroid point and shoot

Try this:

It's pretty irresponsible IMO for him to keep the video up on youtube. Based on his video quality in this video there would be a significant effect on Mavic sales by posting crap like this and casual viewers watching it. This is a pre-release drone and his significant audience will be judging purchases based on the videos he posts - I'd be pi55ed if I were DJI marketing.

My understanding now (something I think Casey addressed in the notes section of his video) is that in order to achieve the best image performance, you need to select a focus point by tapping on your screen to set your subject target. If the target is 50m away or further, focus point is set to infinity, which is probably best for landscape shots.

My guess is that tap-target-focusing is necessary for all the subject tracking features on the MP.

FYI - There is a meta-thread with a lot of useful info and clarifications (credit to msinger):

META-REVIEW: Complete list of Mavic features & what people are saying about it

I do agree he should have included an annotation in the video to clarify this point. Also, he's only one source of review and i highly doubt his coverage is going to have a sig. impact on DJI MP sales. At the end of the day (or rather, at the start of the day in this case) anyone seriously considering or having already ordered this drone (i.e., me) is an early adopter. As such, u need to do your research, review multiple sources of info, and make an informed choice. :)

Reactions: gyrex
99% Of folks who purchase the Mavic im sure will be more than happy with it , its form factor for me seals the deal it will fit under the seat of my m/cycle no more big bag packs and cheaper battery's, more flight time , longer distance whats not to like .

99% Of folks who purchase the Mavic im sure will be more than happy with it , its form factor for me seals the deal it will fit under the seat of my m/cycle no more big bag packs and cheaper battery's, more flight time , longer distance whats not to like .

If you don't have anything but a hammer, everything looks like a nail. ;)

Crystal clear video. Not that this was a deal breaker for me at least but now we know it's not < P4 or 3P.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Wow, so the camera is actually better than the P4 because you have the option to focus it for close ups? Just keeps getting better. Hopefully they'll have a better way to lock infinity focus until manual is truly needed.

Try this:

I'm a bit skeptical of this footage. At .14 in the video, you can see the props dip into frame. Not only have I not seen the props in any of the other Mavic footage but the orientation of the props (position) don't seem to match the Mavic. Also, this video claims to be unrendered but the colors seem a bit too vibrant to be unedited, even compared to a P4.

Reactions: wattage
haven't seen Casey's footage. However, I did watch the DigitalRev quick review and they actually did a comparison between the P4 and the MP cameras. The P4 is visibly sharper--they speculate it is due to the relatively smaller sensor in the MP.

Overall picture quality is good imho. I'm selling my P3 and ordered the MP yesterday. portability and general image quality etc. outweighs potentially better flight and camera performance of 4K phantoms.. but I'm all about run-and-gun. This is EXACTLY what i was looking for when i got into aerial camera platforms.

...my only concern is how long it's going to take to release some decent ND filters for this thing.

At the 8:00 min mark, they drag race and you never see the Mavic props even at full speed......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20