So .... what good is a Windsurfer?

Reaction score
I bought a windsurfer, and have no range problems that I know of. I had no range problems before using the windsurfer.

I need an answer to this question: Since the Windsurfer enhances (focuses) the transmitted signals only, the signal reception (handled by the internal plate antennae) remains unenhanced. What is the benefit?

I bought a windsurfer, and have no range problems that I know of. I had no range problems before using the windsurfer.

I need an answer to this question: Since the Windsurfer enhances (focuses) the transmitted signals only, the signal reception (handled by the internal plate antennae) remains unenhanced. What is the benefit?
longer range in flying so you can fly out of vlos

Are you sure the external antenna (5.725 GHz – 5.825 GHz) is only used for transmitted signals. I know it's for controlling the aircraft which determines your range, but thought some data was also received on the frequency. Are you saying all data received is from the wifi only (FPV video and ALL data telemetry)?

longer range in flying so you can fly out of vlos

Assuming I am correct ( with only the transmission signal enhanced with the windsurfer), wouldn't I simply lose the aircraft's downlink telemetry at the range where the return signal normally becomes weak?. I hope I am explaining this well enough for you folks to read.

Yes, you are correct.

To answer the question in your thread title, you'd probably want to modify the controller and bring those 2.4 antennas outside where you can manipulate the signal to benefit your long range goals.

Assuming I am correct ( with only the transmission signal enhanced with the windsurfer), wouldn't I simply lose the aircraft's downlink telemetry at the range where the return signal normally becomes weak?. I hope I am explaining this well enough for you folks to read.

Receive or transmit antenna gain is achieved by beam-shaping (directivity).
Windsurfers are analogous to cupping your hands behind your ears.

You will definitely improve your ability to hear faint sounds but you must adjust the direction you are facing to 'capture' those sounds.

Reactions: RodPad and AgnotGT
Receive or transmit antenna gain is achieved by beam-shaping (directivity).
Windsurfers are analogous to cupping your hands behind your ears.

You will definitely improve your ability to hear faint sounds but you must adjust the direction you are facing to 'capture' those sounds.
Great explanation! Curious though... Say your bird is lost to your sight and 90* or more to your side or even behind you. Will a windsurfer then hinder/block your connection with the bird?

Yes.
In order to achieve gain in a particular direction peripheral signals must be attenuated to some extent.

This is the directivity 'factor'.

Great explanation! Curious though... Say your bird is lost to your sight and 90* or more to your side or even behind you. Will a windsurfer then hinder/block your connection with the bird?

You can just pull it off in a second if the need arises.

I just checked it out, very interesting. This is just the info I was looking for, thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers