So what do you do...

Reaction score
if you dont have a Windows computer in your house? ....and don't want to install Windows on your Mac?
How do you update firmware?
Is there a workaround?

P

By "don't want to install Windows on your Mac" do you mean BootCamp? Are you open to running Windows in a virtual machine? How about Wine?

Thats the stubble I've had. We all have macbook airs and the space/processing power just isn't there. It was cheaper to go on craigslist and find an ultra book for $100 than to buy windows.

All I have is Mac's in the house 6 of them... I use a program called crossover to run all my windows stuff that there is no Mac equiv for such as Visio - no real mac version.... SoI Tried to run crossover and run the DJI app and no go.. so I installed VMWare Fusion and ran a windows XP VM and apps for DJI work 100%

do that and problem solved

I also run Macs and use VMware Fusion to have a very small Windows 7 installation just for my DJI kit. It only takes up about 20GB.
The cheapest way would be to get a second-hand laptop from somewhere though. I just bagged a Toshiba Tecra with 4GB RAM and a Core2 CPU for £50 which will do me as a ground station.

I bought a used PC via Amazon - IBM Thinkpad - no issues -$80.00 ( do Cal in the field)

If you're not able to run a full Windows install in a virtual machine, try Wine. I've heard that Wine (a Window API emulator) works with the Assistant app and I'm been thinking about trying that. There's a program called WineSkin that is GUI wrapped around Wine to make it easier to use: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

With Fusion, you pay for Fusion, then pay for Windows.
With VirtualBox, it's free, but your pay for Windows still.
With WineSkin, it's all free.

From a CPU, RAM, and disk space point of view, WineSkin will use less resources too. It's only running the single app, not the whole Windows stack. Why would anyone use Fusion or VirtualBox? I wouldn't if I had to run just this single assistant app. But, I've got other things that I occasionally need to do in Windows so Fusion is already a tool I'm (very) familiar with.

Buying a secondhand notebook is the cheapest and easiest route (if you do a thorough check before paying, at least).

For less than $100, you get:
1. A dedicated notebook that you can use just for the Phantom (At home, in the field)
2. Windows OS license
3. It doesn't mess with your existing OSX setup
4. It doesn't eat up your time

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20