So this just arrived today.....

You really don't do a lot of serious photography, obviously. Ever hear of Ansel Adams? He was the master of darkroom techniques, i.e., post-processing. The idea that perfection can be achieved in everyshot through a single click of a shutter is nonsense. ALL PROS use post-processing, often along with exposure bracketing in field, because they understand the limitations of the camera compared to the human eye.

Your post made me laugh. Literally. I don't even mean that to be offensive. It was just your tone.

We're not all Ansel Adams. It's best to get the shot as close to perfect as possible on the scene to make it easier in post. This is even more so important when recording video and yes, it applies to photography unless of course you want to spend way more time than necessary in lightroom or whatever.

Reactions: Mike Gravo
lol. That's what I said. Methinks you read a little bit into it. Never claimed to be Ansel Adams, and agree totally with getting it as close to perfect in the field, as I said. Hence the use of ND and exposure settings, etc. Not sure about "tone", only to say that internet posts don't always translate well, and people interpret things based on their own sensibilities. Also depends on the quality with which one is ultimately satisfied, I guess. Happy shooting!

You don't do a lot of serious or professional photography, perhaps. Think of Ansel Adams. Pretty good photographer. He was the master of darkroom techniques, i.e., post-processing. The idea that perfection can be achieved in every shot through a single click of a shutter is nonsense. Some shots are perfect, but most need something, ranging from a crop to a little color correction, exposure, contrast, etc. ALL PROS use post-processing, often along with exposure bracketing in field, because they understand the limitations of the camera compared to the human eye. I shoot exclusively in RAW, and I can't produce an image without software of some type, and I may shoot 5-8 or more exposures on a given shot to ensure maximum quality in the field, depending on the lighting challenges.

I agree, of course, that it is important to maximize the quality out in the field. That is a thoroughly obvious point, I think everyone would agree. I didn't present this as an "either or". As I mentioned, I use all of the techniques described in these threads with respect to EV, shutter, ND, etc.. My point is that the use of the histogram gives huge insight into the light being captured, and that as long as you stay in its range, the quality will be respectable, and post will be easy, if required at all.
Chill. I don't mean that u can only get it right on scene. What I meant is you have to get your fundamentals right right from the start. What's the point of post processing if your raw file has all the highlights blown out? How are you going to extract the information then?

Let me rephrase. As with photography, it helps to get your fundamentals right on scene so that you have more creative options in post.

Chill bro.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4