So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

Sounds like criminal damage to me! Were you over his property? Can you clearly see the shooter in any captured footage? If not then due to lack of evidence, I don't think much can be done, legally ;)

Plenty of rounds out perform .303 in accuracy. Must have been fairly close range for 22... Can you post a photo of the damage?
I've shot guns my whole life, what makes you say close range for a .22?
.22 long rifle is a big round, and travel 1.5miles a .22mag easy 1 mile
People don't use .22s for self defense BECAUSE of the distance they travel, and low stopping power of course, just saying some good ole boy with a .22 could hit a drone with scope at 300yards no problem, hell I've got a PCP (pre charged Pnuematic) air rig that's dead accurate to drive nails at over 100yards

My sister told me just the other day, where she read it or saw it I do not know, but we were talking about my quad and she said something to the effect that so far "anybody that has had their drone shot won in a lawsuit or the shooter had to pay for the drone" she added every time the guy flying was not illegal but shooting private property is.

I think the Kentucky incident is one exception, although last I heard there was a civil suit pending...

Anyways - what I worry about is pellet guns. They don't make much noise so a shooter would be harder to find.

I was about 200 foot up flollowing a hwy. heard some shots from where I was controlling the bird so I stopped and turned and starting trying to see if I could see anyone with gun at the only two houses around me. And then screen went blank. She came home though. Really couldn't see anything but little ant like figures, lol.
P3A return to home? A real hero. Sorry for what's happened dude

I've shot guns my whole life, what makes you say close range for a .22?
.22 long rifle is a big round, and travel 1.5miles a .22mag easy 1 mile
People don't use .22s for self defense BECAUSE of the distance they travel, and low stopping power of course, just saying some good ole boy with a .22 could hit a drone with scope at 300yards no problem, hell I've got a PCP (pre charged Pnuematic) air rig that's dead accurate to drive nails at over 100yards
Your better than me. I find 22 unreliable accuracy wise over 100m and I consider that close. Agreed they do travel a long way though.

Reactions: Reed L
Bird ..with a bull barrel 22-1022 you could burn one up at 100 yards . Had that been a .303 it would not have made it home .
What did the Sherriff say Cody ?

Bird ..with a bull barrel 22-1022 you could burn one up at 100 yards . Had that been a .303 it would not have made it home .
I had a couple of 303, one re-barrelled to .25 (probably on the high side of permissible pressure for the action). I wouldn't be comfortable making the shot with a .22 but I'm not that good either.

I had a couple of 303, one re-barrelled to .25 (probably on the high side of permissible pressure for the action). I wouldn't be comfortable making the shot with a .22 but I'm not that good either.
I have a lot of ammo ;)
I believe the 303 woulda passed on through but ya never know . From the chunk of lead in that picture I would say a 22 .
At anyrate it was a lucky shot for the shooter or hopefully a bad one :)

Said the guy was a turd!! Lol. Guy tried to say I've been watching his daughter and chasing his cows the past few weeks. Told Sherrif I have all the flights logged and have never even been close to his way and could prove it. I think the Sherrif was more pissed than I was. He said he was gonna give all in to dectives and that the guy was gonna be charged for it. As I was flying I heard shots from where I was controlling it, from about 400 meters away so I stopped in a hover and rotated right and boom everything went blank. POS is what he is! My kids didn't take it to well. It was something I could do to spend time with my boys. And the ol boy messed up when he tried to accuse me of doing those things. He didn't know it had a camera on it recording everything including flight path and how high I was. We'll see. Now in meantime I'm looking for a new position module and a OFDM module so I can get back flying. Thanks for all the responses.

Your image didn't work for me Cody but am glad he is gonna be charged . I know how it works down here in the South
and hopefully you won't have no problems anymore with them .I do wish ya the best :)
Do let us know what happens .

If this happened in the U.S. I'd also report it to the FAA . Whether you registered with them or not the phantom is covered by the FAA. Interfering with an FAA aircraft in flight is a felony offense. Just like it is to shoot at a private or commercial plane. The only exceptions I'm aware of is if it is interfering with emergency operations like getting firefighting helis in the air or it is a threat to national security. You can't just shoot planes out of the air, especially in the u.s. Many don't realize this but they don't own the airspace over their property. The faa does. If you want your property to be a no fly zone you have to do more than claim it to be so.

If this happened in the U.S. I'd also report it to the FAA . Whether you registered with them or not the phantom is covered by the FAA. Interfering with an FAA aircraft in flight is a felony offense. Just like it is to shoot at a private or commercial plane. The only exceptions I'm aware of is if it is interfering with emergency operations like getting firefighting helis in the air or it is a threat to national security. You can't just shoot planes out of the air, especially in the u.s. Many don't realize this but they don't own the airspace over their property. The faa does. If you want your property to be a no fly zone you have to do more than claim it to be so.
That's what I've been reading. Hopefully so.

Reactions: gkol
Your image didn't work for me Cody but am glad he is gonna be charged . I know how it works down here in the South
and hopefully you won't have no problems anymore with them .I do wish ya the best :)
Do let us know what happens .
New to the forum. Not sure exactly how to post pictures. Sorry about that.

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm curious to hear more about this. Shooting into the air is dangerous any time but going that far over a UAS is downright dumb and dangerous.

Hopefully he gets some stainless steel bracelets and to spend some quality time locked up with BUBBA!

Guy tried to say I've been watching his daughter and chasing his cows the past few weeks. Told Sherrif I have all the flights logged and have never even been close to his way and could prove it. I think the Sherrif was more pissed than I was. He said he was gonna give all in to dectives and that the guy was gonna be charged for it.

My recommendation is that you follow up with the sheriff and obtain the name off the detective that was assigned to the case. Contact the detective and let them know that you now have $1000 in damages to the drone (go by the cost you have into the drone). Explain that you have flight data of where you were flying as well as photos from the drone. Inform the detective that you will be happy to cooperate in any way possible with the investigation and that you don't feel that someone should be able to arbitrarily take matters into their own hands and fire a gun at someone's personal property.

Ultimately you may need to file a civil suit against the person. Sometimes a judge in a criminal case will order restitution (they are allowed to do this) but they don't allows do it. If not, wait for the criminal case to end and then you can file a civil suit. Keep in mind that you have one year to file in court.

If your on private property with a camera you don't have many rights to be there.

Where someone is standing makes little difference when it's the drone that someone was firing at. If the owner of the property wants to press charges for the person trespassing on their land, they can do this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj