So its in my Amazon Cart but help me with my hesitation

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been dreaming an drooling over the DJI phantom for months. I have the money saved and am ready to pull the trigger today. Just doing some last minute research, I decided to click on some of the recent review comments on Amazon and saw a couple people posting about flyaways. This struck my curiosity, so I googled it and immediately saw this was (or is?) a major problem. I'm about to drop 1300 bucks on a Phantom 2 Vision Plus. I know its a gamble to fly these things for the risk of crashing it, but I'd be super upset if the thing just flew away on me. Is this still a regular problem? I'm curious how many people are having or have had this issue. Should I hold off ordering? Please let me know your thoughts.

Mike

Most flyaways happen because of operator error.

Commonly they either take off too early for the quad to get a GPS home lock or they don't know how to fly it without the assistance of GPS

Also, make sure you aren't near an airport. The vision + has annoying software that limits where you can fly it.

Thank you for your reply. Is there anyone else that has experience or know of Fly Aways even after being experienced flying them?

personally, for the price, I would get the phantom 2.

Get used to it for a bit. Then in the future, you can always upgrade to have a gopro and FPV
The gopro has much better quality than the vision camera and you can put any gimbal on that you want.
If it crashes, anything can be replaced easily since its not a whole set.

with best buy's insurance, they will replace your whole gopro! Pretty sweet.
You also have the option of buying goggles for the FPV experience.
It's around the same price when you add it up, minus the major headache of dealing with DJI if something goes wrong.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Hoping I didn't make a bad purchase. I bought it from Luckitron Amazon which seem to have really good reviews. They are out of New York so I'm hoping to have it Friday (I'm in PA). Thanks everyone :)

oh, I also bought 2 extra batteries so I don't have to stand around and wait for a charge :)

Watch as many videos and read the manual at least 5 times! Otherwise you will be added to the flyaway statistic.

Also, if this is your first quad experience (heli exp counts too) then you must practice on something else first than a $1300 piece of equipment.

kydan said:
Watch as many videos and read the manual at least 5 times! Otherwise you will be added to the flyaway statistic.

Also, if this is your first quad experience (heli exp counts too) then you must practice on something else first than a $1300 piece of equipment.

Disagree with that. I had zero heli or quad experience (but a boatload of RC airplance experience) and it was pretty easy to fly straight away. That however is not saying it wouldn't be a good idea to do so.

If you are new to RC flying then yes, use something else to train on or you might end up on here in two weeks lamenting a crash.

BigTulsa said:
Disagree with that. I had zero heli or quad experience (but a boatload of RC airplance experience) and it was pretty easy to fly straight away. That however is not saying it wouldn't be a good idea to do so.

If you are new to RC flying then yes, use something else to train on or you might end up on here in two weeks lamenting a crash.

Good thing you had RC experience. I've given my DJI to neighbors to control for a bit and for the most part, they do okay--but I usually intervene before it gets out of hand.

In the heat of the moment, if you don't have a feel for the correct orientation you're toast GPS or not. Luckily my collective pitch heli rc experience will make it near impossible for me to crash this Phantom (knock on wood).

I have no sympathy for folks who fly a DJI without prior experience. My 2 cents to the OP.

kydan said:
BigTulsa said:

Good thing you had RC experience. I've given my DJI to neighbors to control for a bit and for the most part, they do okay--but I usually intervene before it gets out of hand.

In the heat of the moment, if you don't have a feel for the correct orientation you're toast GPS or not. Luckily my collective pitch heli rc experience will make it near impossible for me to crash this Phantom (knock on wood).

I have no sympathy for folks who fly a DJI without prior experience. My 2 cents to the OP.

I think another thing the RC experience gives you is the appreciation of the responsibilities that go along with flying these things. Alot of people, I gather, will buy these things and just head out the back door and fire them up like they're a toy (I'm guilty of doing that to a degree, but only to check on how well the thing worked in tight and to check out the stabilization via GPS). When I want to really do high flying with these things (above 200 ft) I go to a local retention pond/park that is very spacious and if too many people are there I will look elsewhere. I live in a city where it's fairly easy to do that. Luckily.

Order an x4 while you are at it to just practice whenever its raining or too windy...etc

But literally ANYBODY can fly a phantom there is no skill involved with using gps. That's why people recommend picking up a small cheap one to practice with so you have a basic idea of what its like to fly without GPS which you really should know. If you can afford $1300 then you can afford $30-40

I'll go so far to say they are just as much fun if not more so than a phantom. Hence why I am building a smaller fpv multirotor as I just get bored of flying the bigger one. Hopefully a little guy will fix that as I love my little x4...1sq..etc so something a little bigger with an FPV setup will be amazing. Just have to figure out what frame I want to use.

scuby said:
Hello,

I have been dreaming an drooling over the DJI phantom for months. I have the money saved and am ready to pull the trigger today. Just doing some last minute research, I decided to click on some of the recent review comments on Amazon and saw a couple people posting about flyaways. This struck my curiosity, so I googled it and immediately saw this was (or is?) a major problem. I'm about to drop 1300 bucks on a Phantom 2 Vision Plus. I know its a gamble to fly these things for the risk of crashing it, but I'd be super upset if the thing just flew away on me. Is this still a regular problem? I'm curious how many people are having or have had this issue. Should I hold off ordering? Please let me know your thoughts.

Mike

Imagine how many of these reports are as a % of the total sales ??......very small. Buy one, do your research, get into good habits and enjoy flying !

;)

I started my quadcopter life with a Parrot AR Drone. It was fine - at first - then one day, when I hit take off ("ascend to a meter and wait for instructions") it rapidly flew up to a great height and then rapidly flew off to god only knows where, but certainly in the direction of impenetrable forest, behind me! I gave up on the bloody thing.

I now have a P2 Vision, and what a difference. I did suffer some paranoia after the awful awful Drone thing disappeared, and sought assurance here on the forums, and received plenty of it. I've flown several times now, without a single hiccup. The reports of failures you will be reading here are very minority occurrences, and I believe that if you take great care with your preflight checks you'll be fine. No 747 pilot is more careful before takeoff heavy than I am with my Vision!

Click BUY, you won't regret it. Others in this thread have suggested that you might start your flying career a little cheap - that's up to you, but PLEASE,if you do, do not be tempted by the Parrot thing.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It is supposed to arrive here tomorrow. I will probably just sit it on my shelf and pretend I'm flying it. lol. I should have bought the original phantom while I was at it. It would be much cheaper for me to crash that than the $1300 one.

adanac said:
Compare it to the annoyance of bringing down a civilian aircraft and I think you'll see it's not that annoying after all.

kydan said:
Also, make sure you aren't near an airport. The vision + has annoying software that limits where you can fly it.

It's amazing some of the responses like that, isn't it?

kydan said:

So you feel that a DJI is only for those with prior RC experience? Your opinion seems to differ with most in this forum (who say they are quite easy to fly). The easy to learn aspect is what caught my attention with this product in the first place. I want something a beginner can fly...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.