So im going to get a Phantom Adv. tommorrow!

Get familiar with it. Personally I would upgrade all the firmware to the latest versions (P3, RC, Batteries). Like when I do IMU and Gimbal calibrations I do my firmware upgrades on a perfectly level surface. I figure it's the thorough thing to do.

I'd turn around and do the IMU and Gimbal calibration on a perfectly level surface. It helps if the P3 is cold before doing those calibrations. I don't know where you live and how cold it is there now but I simply take the battery out of the P3 and stick her in the fridge for 15 minutes. Then straight out onto a perfectly level surface to start her up and do the immediate calibrations. A colder IMU calibration like that will dramatically decrease the "warming up" time of your P3 when you first power it on wherever your flying.

You can wait to do your compass calibration out in the field. Just make sure your away from strong magnetic fields or heavy metallic objects. I take off my belt and watch etc.

Only after you've read up on everything like 3 times on how to use the P3 I'd check one critical thing your first flight. You don't have to go crazy to check if your gimbal is level to the horizon. Just go up 50ft or so and out slowly and watch your live feed on your tablet or phone. The horizon should stay pretty level. Yaw left then stop, yaw right then stop. The gimbal will drift a bit but should stay pretty level. As you get more comfortable keep an eye on it. Just remember the gimbal has a 6 month warranty. Also if it's really bad and you find it pretty quick then you might be able to return the P3 for another depending upon where you bought it.

Also don't forget there's a white foam block towards the back of the gimbal. You'll want to remove that. And yes there are only supposed to be two of those clear plastic pins installed through the white rubber gimbal dampeners not four. The ones in the bag are just spares. And to turn off the motors just hold your left stick all the way down after you have landed. They'll stop after 3 seconds. Do not use both sticks to turn off the motors like the manual says is an option. If you do that you will likely tip the P3 over.

i live in Orlando, Fl so the temperature is around the 60s. and good thing you told me about that foam on the gimbal on the tutorial video the guy doesn't even mention only the plastic one that holds the gimbal in place.. i will do those manuvuers tom. as it started drizzling so called it a night!

Who the Hell reads in these days descpripions? :D

Sent from BlackBerry Z30
In Hell, Probably no one, as fire beats paper, in rock paper scissors fire Spock!! ;-)
But if You tell Me, what ever "descpripions" are? Perhaps I am mistaken.
Directions and instructions combined = Descriptions perhaps.;-)
You already know, these drones are only MANUAL not automatic. Correct? So to pass the test, You need to understand all the gears, clutch, emergency brakes, back up lights, trunk release, fire extinguisher, and glove box combination. Ha
Señor, You stumped me, brother. Hehe But it's past 3:00am MST too.
And I have imbibed, just a little. No excuse, I know, but my reason, non the less.
Anyway the winners, are those who are well prepared for the unknown. Like a good Boy Scout on a mission. If that means RTFM then so be it. Collect them badges... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
#CB7, remember to not put two sticks into "start morots" positions while Flight. This will end in shut Down engines on middle of Flight and surley drone crash.

Sent from BlackBerry Z30

Both sticks down and in to start the motors, yes.
But only left one down to stop them motors. ;-)
CSC (Combination Stick Command) Only when needing to stop the motors in an emergency..

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: CB7H22Los
Both sticks down and in to start the motors, yes.
But only left one down to stop them motors. ;-)
CSC (Combination Stick Command) Only when needing to stop the motors in an emergency..

RedHotPoker

I was wondering how this worked.. but it wouldn't let me because I was in beginners mode with no GPS... lol

Holding only left stick Down will also shut Down Motors in flight?! I mean, while being on the air?

Sent from BlackBerry Z30

No, the drone knows when it has landed, it will not crash.
Left stick straight back, to land first, then hold it for three seconds.

RedHotPoker

Quick questions so I flew to about 30 ft it's really windy today although the weather is beautiful I recorded a quick vid and transferred to my phone the video came out good but there is no sound.. also it's in pal format I think and not ntsc, should it be?

Also is there an app out there that can show me local winds speeds and chances of rain ?

Quick questions so I flew to about 30 ft it's really windy today although the weather is beautiful I recorded a quick vid and transferred to my phone the video came out good but there is no sound.. also it's in pal format I think and not ntsc, should it be?

Also is there an app out there that can show me local winds speeds and chances of rain ?

There is no microphone on the Phantom 3 so no sound.

There is a setting to change from PAL to NTSC in the camera settings among other things like resolution and frame rate.

Is it OK to say after a flight the juice is around 60% I plug it in the charger to top it up is that bad? Or should I drain the batter to around 30% then charge it?

Is it OK to say after a flight the juice is around 60% I plug it in the charger to top it up is that bad? Or should I drain the batter to around 30% then charge it?

Charge it up from 60. I personally break all my batteries in. 10 times 100 to 50 then 11th time 100 to 2. Be careful going below 10 while in flight. I'd bring it down on your 11th flight with maybe 15 left. Then take it home and take the props off and turn it on but don't start motors and let it go to 2. Then charge it up to 100. Break-in and 1st battery calibration done. After every 20 cycles (shown on battery info in the GO App) do another 100 to 2 calibration.

Some people don't do the 100 to 50 break in but I think everyone that's knowledge definetley does the 100 to 8 or to 2 battery calibration.

Reactions: CB7H22Los
Charge it up from 60. I personally break all my batteries in. 10 times 100 to 50 then 11th time 100 to 2. Be careful going below 10 while in flight. I'd bring it down on your 11th flight with maybe 15 left. Then take it home and take the props off and turn it on but don't start motors and let it go to 2. Then charge it up to 100. Break-in and 1st battery calibration done. After every 20 cycles (shown on battery info in the GO App) do another 100 to 2 calibration.

Some people don't do the 100 to 50 break in but I think everyone that's knowledge definetley does the 100 to 8 or to 2 battery calibration.

OK cool yeah because I do similar break ins for my phone batteries so wanted to ask. Thanks

You must have received a Phantom with the new motors. The plastic strap wrench is your prop wrench. The landing gear rubbers split into 4 pieces. 4 dampers & 2 anti-drops. Your accessory package is complete. It isn't unusual for one or more of the motor stickers to fall off in shipment. You'll likely find it in the bottom of the egg crate.

So guys I'm not too happy but apparently from the video manual in the accessories box I'm missing the PROPELLER TOOL and some of the landing rubbers...this is what came in my packet.... also the warning labels that are on the motors 3 of them had them and one is missing...

Oh disney why did you take up so much no fly area haha!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-24-15-59-42.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-24-15-59-42.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 311
Just to double check is mid 40s ok for flights because is going to get a little cold tonight

I was reading a few posts while I searched and people said the battery will drain faster in colder weather

I was reading a few posts while I searched and people said the battery will drain faster in colder weather
This is true. True to every "battery device". Ppl wrote that they used phantom in minus temperatures, but I would not recommend that.

1. Battery drain
2. Shorter battery life time
3. ...cold hands
4. In worst case in flying on clouds You can catch icing on propellers or on any electric part of Your drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4