So I sent the P4P out into the desert this morning

uke

Reaction score
I'm working through setting up the camera and positioning the aircraft. Since I had a nice sunrise this morning on the mountain I thought I'd send it out for a quickie picture. I processed the image in Aurora HDR and decided to go for dramatic. The image took a bit of work, and I'm not 100% happy with it, but it is the first artsy-fartsy attempt with the new P4P.

Cheers

DJI_0096_Aurora2017_HDR-Edit-Edit.jpg

The only thing that strikes me negatively about this image is the way the sky slightly follows the contour of the land. The sky needs to show more 'integrity'.

Just curious, did you consider shooting straight down to capture the extremely long shadows of the cacti and trees? I think that might have been your shot in this light. Or perhaps shoot at a 90 degree angle to the sun so that all of the shadows run left to right on your image with the mountain in the background.

But, as for this particular image... see if you can achieve a sky that does not follow the contours of the mountain and, while you are at it, there is some strange mottling in the sky as well. That makes it look as if it is a backdrop and not a look into an 'infinite' realm.

Reactions: uke
Thanks, Jim! I appreciate the feedback.

I agree that the sky is strange. The entire image is overcooked a bit, I blame overzealous editing in Aurora. I found that the preset I used here made the image more dramatic, which I liked at the moment. But it is kind of overdone.

I've been playing with the original in Lightroom and think I get a more natural, more appealing, but also more boring result. I like your suggestions regarding vertical framing for the shadows, and sun orientation. I'll try it tomorrow. I think I'll move closer to the mountain, battery permitting, and maybe fly higher.

Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic