So.........I Never Set My Home Point

Reaction score
Just realized today after 5 total flights that I have never set a home point on my quad. I have calibrated the compass multiple times. If the quad had gone into fail safe on any of those initial 5 flights what would have happened? Should I Feel really lucky?

Utopia Texas said:
Just realized today after 5 total flights that I have never set a home point on my quad. I have calibrated the compass multiple times. If the quad had gone into fail safe on any of those initial 5 flights what would have happened? Should I Feel really lucky?

Uh..it sets the home point automatically.

If you're all up to date with your firmware / software updates etc then your home point will be your controller - wherever you are it will return to where you have your controller.
Actually sooooo much better than setting a home point the way we used to have to do it!
Cheers - happy flying

Oh yeah just make sure your mobile device has GPS location enabled too - it will return to wherever your controller is!

Captain Obvious said:
Utopia Texas said:

Many people find the manual to be helpful.

I said in my second post I what I found on page 28 of the manual. I still do not know why the manual talks about setting a home point if in fact it is done automatically to the Controller.

It's used if your device loses its gps signal

The return to home feature is freaky to watch but it's great if you ever lose sight of the phantom and forget which way it's pointed

Palliz said:
Oh yeah just make sure your mobile device has GPS location enabled too - it will return to wherever your controller is!
That feature is called Dynamic Home Point and is not enabled by default as far as I know. One has to go to settings in the app and turn it on(assuming latest firmware and app).

If that is off then the phantom only uses its own GPS. And the user/pilot needs to wait on the ground till the home point is succesfully acquired, which happens when enough GPS satellites are in view(at least 6). Rear phantom LED lights will flash very rapidly green for a few seconds which is a signal that means "home point acquired" and when you start the engines it is then also saved for good. From that point on, if failsafe is triggered(manually or when remote control signal is lost) the phantom will return and land automatically on that saved position.

My advice, make sure you have ground station enabled. Then before you take off swipe to ground station part and check that you have a small blue circle with a letter H inside. That indicates the actual postion that Phantom sent back to your app where he thinks his home point is. If you don't see that or if it is in a wrong position, wait some more untill you get more GPS satellites and a better fix.

I'd think it will set home point as the power up location.
When you call up the ground station if your not set at home position your return leg probably would not vector home as where you are. Maybe that's the trick, map one waypoint in ground station. If it shows a return route back to where you are, your good for home?
BUT, tried it today and flipped switch 5-6 times and got the requisite set of green blinks and it came back when I asked.

CannibalRobotics said:
I'd think it will set home point as the power up location.
Impossible, since the phatom can't know it's position immediately when you power it up. Acquiring postion from GPS satellites is a process that takes some time(just for the initial, first postion, then it goes fast).

CannibalRobotics said:
When you call up the ground station if your not set at home position your return leg probably would not vector home as where you are. Maybe that's the trick, map one waypoint in ground station. If it shows a return route back to where you are, your good for home?
Ground Station will not even give you the option to set waypoints, untill phantom reports that he has acquried the Home Point(phantom LEDs flash rapid green and a little blue circle with H appears). I say acquire and not save, since the phantom still allows you to move it(for example by hand) and the Home Point is going to move also, but when you start the engines it will permanently save the Home Point at that last spot.

CannibalRobotics said:
BUT, tried it today and flipped switch 5-6 times and got the requisite set of green blinks and it came back when I asked.
That is re-setting the Home Point. It is not a required operation, but an optional thing. Just wait on the ground untill you see rapid flasing greens on the phantom and blue H circle in the Ground Station.

:D
yes, you understand!

Captain Obvious said:
Utopia Texas said:
I said in my second post I what I found on page 28 of the manual. I still do not know why the manual talks about setting a home point if in fact it is done automatically to the Controller.

Page 28 makes no mention of setting the home point.

"will reset the current aircraft position as a new home point" is very clear and unambiguous.

Just to clarify...

Your fpv smart device needs to have gps location settings enabled.
dynamic home point needs to be enabled in the dji app.
The ring around the radar denotes dynamic home point status.
Yellow = enabled but dynamic home point not acquired.
Green = on.
G

Page 28 of my manual says flipping S2 up and down 5 times resets the current location of the quad to a new home point

The fast green blinking lights is the confirmation a homepoint is set, both automatically and if reset by the above option. The page 28 you refer to is to reset to a new home point... Many people use the feature to set a homepoint well overhead in case of varying elevation, like hills, for a RTH event. The new homepoint would be set at that elevation to 0,0. And even if you were 399 ft. below the HP, the craft would properly descend and land once it senses no further reduction in altitude.

I usually get tired of waiting for the fast green and go fly instead. I can also usually see it finally flash when it is about 50 feet in the air and 100 feet or so away from me. That sometimes makes me a little concerned that it will come home to the wrong place, but it has seldom had to come home anyway.

slothead said:
I usually get tired of waiting for the fast green and go fly instead. I can also usually see it finally flash when it is about 50 feet in the air and 100 feet or so away from me. That sometimes makes me a little concerned that it will come home to the wrong place, but it has seldom had to come home anyway.
In that case the home point is recorded at that position where you have seen it flasing, so 100 feet away from you.
Not a very good advice for the beginners but also in general. It is better to let it do its thing on the ground than to experiment with some unusual procedures that are far more likely to have some overlooked bugs in firmware by DJI.

O yeah, more importantly, the very fact that you did not get the rapid flasing greens on the ground means that you had less than 6 satellites and you basically took off in ATTI mode without any GPS position hold enabled(Phantom is programmed to completely disregard GPS data if less than 6 sats are in view). So if it is a windy day you might easily crash your phantom into something.

RichWest said:
Page 28 of my manual says flipping S2 up and down 5 times resets the current location of the quad to a new home point

The fast green blinking lights is the confirmation a homepoint is set, both automatically and if reset by the above option. The page 28 you refer to is to reset to a new home point... Many people use the feature to set a homepoint well overhead in case of varying elevation, like hills, for a RTH event. The new homepoint would be set at that elevation to 0,0. And even if you were 399 ft. below the HP, the craft would properly descend and land once it senses no further reduction in altitude.
This trick to increase the RTH altitude by re-setting the home point in air is no longer needed. There is an option in settings now in the app that lets you manually set the desired altitude the phantom will climb to before flying back to home point in RTH. So that can now be easily configured on each flight, based on your needs.

Ivan - Sure, but it's an easier/faster trick to reset the HP on the fly for the given terrain. By panning the horizon to determine a clear elevation, you have visual confirmation. But yes, the RTH altitude can be set from within the app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues