So disappointed. Please help.

Reaction score
Hey.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post I really hope someone can help me. I am a first time flyer with any drone and I have purchased a Phantom 2. I have set it up and switched it on to find the drone has two propellers not spinning properly one confused as to what way to spin. I also noticed a slight smell on the one having the bigger problem like a burning smell.

Have been so excited about getting this and now have been really thrown off by the experience.

Really appreciate the time to help me.

Kind regards

Hey yourself, Troll, welcome to the forum.
I can sure understand your disappointment and hope you can get up in the air soon, but I guess you will have to be patient and go through the standard procedure of returning it to the dealer. Your Phantom is obviously defective and should be replaced with a new one. I wouldn't attempt to fix it even though you can find a lot of good advice on this forum about how to trouble shoot and fix, nor would I send it to DJI expecting a timely and perfect repair. And if you do begin to tamper with it, you may void your warranty. Remember the Phantom is a fairly new gadget and you can expect a finite percentage of them will be defective.
A great majority of us have been flying Phantoms without problems for a long time, however, and think the Phantom is one phenomenal sUAS. So will you once you get one that is bug free. Good luck and keep us informed of what you do and the outcome.

DITTO. Sorry to hear about the problem.
I'm guessing at this... With power off, can you spin the motors by hand. Spin it slowly and listen to the difference between the good and bad motor.
Are the motor mounting screws up in too far? Are they rubbing?
I think if you smell smoke, it's pretty much over for the ESC board or the motor.
The Phantom is a fantastic bird. You'll love it. Get them to replace it.

Thanks for all your replies I really appreciate it. I can't smell smoke but I can smell that burnt metal smell if you know what I mean. I purchased it from a seller on ebay and it was brand new the user sells multiple of them but communication is rather bad so far. Think this isn't going to go as smoothly as I would hope it too.

Such a shame as waited quite a while for it also as it was coming from the United States and I am in the United Kingdom. Very disappointing.

Did you fit prop guards? It is easy to damage the motor windings by over tightening the screws, or if you remove them and then re-fit the longer screws.

It's a shame you did not buy from a UK dealer. It may have been a few pounds more expensive, but at least you will have their support.

When I purchased mine, I had a faulty R/C TX, with the power switch needing replacement and also a dodgy tilt control. As I bought it from Heliguy in the UK, I had it replaced within 2 days. I had an issue with the video receiver as well, and again, a new one arrived very quickly.

You might find a UK Tier 1 DJI dealer will help you, but they may be reluctant to as you purchased from abroad, limiting your warranty rights. I suggest you take your quad to one of them in any case, so that they can diagnose the problem and save you from buying new parts you do not require.

If you bought it thru ebay just start a return-damaged goods claim, they will contact the seller and you can get it replaced and if you paid thru paypal maybe they can help too, if all else fails you can get it fixed just by changing the ESC (electronic speed control) for that particula motor or motors that dont spin correctly, another word of advice is to check the motors, do they seem to lockup when you spin them by hand?, do they make any noise?, do you se any corrosion or debri inside the motor?, is it missing the bottom e-lock of the motor (you can check this just by trying to pull up on the blade, if you have some play then the lock is missing), the screws going into the motor from the bottom are the correct lenght screws?

Sana

My understanding is that you can hit warranty issues if your purchase is deemed to have been from overseas. Part of the cost of selling any product includes an amount to cover projected warranty claims in any given territory, which is why countries with lesser warranty terms are often cheaper to buy from.

DJI do not have a presence in the UK, only authorised distributers, so you might need to return the quad to the overseas seller, as there is no legal reason for the UK distributer to honour an overseas warranty claim - unless DJI are will to recompense them for the repair. Some companies - Apple are just one notable example, will often honour overseas warranties, but it is purely at the manufacturer's discretion.

I would imagine the cost of sending the quad back to the US would be quite high compared to replacing a blown ESC or motor.

You are MUCH better off returning it for a refund than having it fixed or attempting to do so yourself. Cut your losses and get rid of it ASAP. A new one purchased from a reputable (i.e. not ebay) supplier is the only way to go. Just my $0.02 (or British equivalent)...

David is right. Return it through Ebay if it's possible. My only advise is if you used Ebay and Paypal both, do NOT submit return claims through both at the same time if you are having problems with your seller as you suspect. File the Ebay claim let it run it's course and if for some strange reason you should lose that, then file your PayPal claim. They will both not fight for you at the same time. One will close your case out for good with no help from their end. So use the Ebay then Paypal if you must. I'm hoping you can get it taken care of with a simple return for refund then buy from an outlet with better support. Good luck!

Troll,

One more thing, If your "UK Amazon Prime" is like ours in the US the return process is unbelievable. I'm ashamed to admitt all the things I've returned because they weren't "just right" But with their free shipping on returns with next day pick up it will save you money in the long run. I have retuned a Phantom 1 & 2!!! + much more! (The 1 kept tipping over on take off and the 2 tried to fly away after it's 20th flight or so.)

AtrociousTroll said:
Thanks for all your replies I really appreciate it. I can't smell smoke but I can smell that burnt metal smell if you know what I mean. I purchased it from a seller on ebay and it was brand new the user sells multiple of them but communication is rather bad so far. Think this isn't going to go as smoothly as I would hope it too.

Such a shame as waited quite a while for it also as it was coming from the United States and I am in the United Kingdom. Very disappointing.

eBay Seller Protection will help - make sure you create a ticket with eBay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31