So before I buy let me ask a few questions

Reaction score
I got my son a Cheerson CX-20 for x-mas and he loves flying. With the CX-20 he had a fly away and bouncing off the local church chimney and landing a their roof. Was told I needed to upgrade the firmware and that was the cause of the fly away, any who after spending $85 on a new shell props and prop guards and not having a camera purchased yet the $ are adding up. The CX-20 is known for having brittle plastic so I'm wanting to stop the bleeding before my wallet bleeds out.:fearscream: Ok enough back story.:)

I'm wanting to get the P3S and do a range mod. Not sure which if the P3A is worth the extra $ for what he'll be doing with it. My train of thought is way spend the extra $ on range when I can spend the same amount of $ and get him more batteries and a case. I know he has no interest in long range flights but I want to make sure he has a strong signal for control and video link.

He has a Kindle HD is the DJI go app available for it?

Which DBS mod kit would you suggest?

Before I make another mistake and purchase the wrong is my logic sound? Any suggestions or anything I'm not thinking about? I'm wanting to place my order Friday.

Thank you for your time!
Elmore

All I can answer here is that the DJI Go app is only available on apple and android. You could sideload an .apk file on it though. So yes, but not through the amazon app store.

I fear that your repair costs might become even higher! I mean just look up what a replacement gimbal and camera costs, etc. If it's for your son, I'd stay with the Cheerson. But if he's able to fly well, then P3S might be just the ticket, so the thing with the P3S is, the less general radio interference you have in the general area the longer range you'll get. I just went to a location yesterday and got 1.2km distance (P3S rated range is 1km) but this was in a location that was very clean of any interference. In my own neighborhood it's "ok" but no where near as solid of a connection. DBS mod will help, but it's kind of a narrow beam, so you have to keep the radio pointed at the bird rather directly, for that matter so is the stock P3S. However, if you lose signal at least it comes home. That's gonna be the major plus side for you just make sure your return to home alt is set good and high able to clear the tallest thing around the flying site.

But right now, the P3A is like $300 more and it has lightbride which is a far superior connection. If you can afford it, it's the way to go.

P3S $499 non-amp DBS mod $109 = $608
P3A $799 (Amazon.com and BestBuy i think)

Just think long and hard, Do I spend $608 or $799. heh, I can't even begin to tell you the many reasons why the P3A is a better machine than the P3S. Sony 2.7K camera vs the Panasonic 2.7k on the standard, lightbridge, vision tracking, etc. So it's worth the extra money.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

With that said, if you can live with 1.2km range in wide open areas, and don't mind doing some mods, the P3S is a great bird. I love mine and it gets the job done.

All I can answer here is that the DJI Go app is only available on apple and android. You could sideload an .apk file on it though. So yes, but not through the amazon app store.

Thanks for the reply! I was just thinking he has a ipad air for school that he could use until school is out. Hmm

Last edited:
I fear that your repair costs might become even higher! I mean just look up what a replacement gimbal and camera costs, etc. If it's for your son, I'd stay with the Cheerson. But if he's able to fly well, then P3S might be just the ticket, so the thing with the P3S is, the less general radio interference you have in the general area the longer range you'll get. I just went to a location yesterday and got 1.2km distance (P3S rated range is 1km) but this was in a location that was very clean of any interference. In my own neighborhood it's "ok" but no where near as solid of a connection. DBS mod will help, but it's kind of a narrow beam, so you have to keep the radio pointed at the bird rather directly, for that matter so is the stock P3S. However, if you lose signal at least it comes home. That's gonna be the major plus side for you just make sure your return to home alt is set good and high able to clear the tallest thing around the flying site.

But right now, the P3A is like $300 more and it has lightbride which is a far superior connection. If you can afford it, it's the way to go.

P3S $499 non-amp DBS mod $109 = $608
P3A $799 (Amazon.com and BestBuy i think)

Just think long and hard, Do I spend $608 or $799. heh, I can't even begin to tell you the many reasons why the P3A is a better machine than the P3S. Sony 2.7K camera vs the Panasonic 2.7k on the standard, lightbridge, vision tracking, etc. So it's worth the extra money.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

With that said, if you can live with 1.2km range in wide open areas, and don't mind doing some mods, the P3S is a great bird. I love mine and it gets the job done.

Thank you for your reply! Your math is something to think about. My son is 12 and likes flying under 100ft but you never know when he's going to want to go farther. The Cheerson is a great little drone but way to fragile. This pic is from a 6" fall onto the roof The box is supporting the broken shell as both top and bottom are broken. I think a P3 would have handled it better and not waiting on shipments from China.:mad: I understand what your saying about the gimbal cost of the P3 but isn't the DJI camera better then a No Pro like the MonoPrice wifi action camera and gimbal purchase?

Part of this is I'm making this decision without my wonderful financial adviser / marriage counselor / best friend / soul mate / wife;) I'm going the route of asking for forgiveness rather then permission.

Drone crash.jpg

Phantoms have rather fragile gimbals. I can see a 6ft fall causing damage, just like the cheerson.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you for your reply! Your math is something to think about. My son is 12 and likes flying under 100ft but you never know when he's going to want to go farther. The Cheerson is a great little drone but way to fragile. This pic is from a 6" fall onto the roof The box is supporting the broken shell as both top and bottom are broken. I think a P3 would have handled it better and not waiting on shipments from China.:mad: I understand what your saying about the gimbal cost of the P3 but isn't the DJI camera better then a No Pro like the MonoPrice wifi action camera and gimbal purchase?

Part of this is I'm making this decision without my wonderful financial adviser / marriage counselor / best friend / soul mate / wife;) I'm going the route of asking for forgiveness rather then permission.

View attachment 40427

The higher up he is (up to 400 ft) The less chance of crashing. The phantom 3 can fly very very fast, I have got mine to 49.6mph in Atti mode. If he wants something to fly low and zip around I would suggest a RC Airplane Trainer. They are lightweight, super cheap to fix and are fun to fly low. If he wants to get into aerial photography I would advise to get the Phantom 3 Standard. He does not need lightbridge right now, he does not need to fly 2 miles away to get that perfect shot. Just make sure you watch the dji antenna best practices video and he will get plenty of range.

Is there a gimbal out there that isn't fragile?
Im sure there is but it would be up to you to install. All of the stock dji phantom 3 gimbals are pretty fragile.

The higher up he is (up to 400 ft) The less chance of crashing. The phantom 3 can fly very very fast, I have got mine to 49.6mph in Atti mode. If he wants something to fly low and zip around I would suggest a RC Airplane Trainer. They are lightweight, super cheap to fix and are fun to fly low. If he wants to get into aerial photography I would advise to get the Phantom 3 Standard. He does not need lightbridge right now, he does not need to fly 2 miles away to get that perfect shot. Just make sure you watch the dji antenna best practices video and he will get plenty of range.

The being higher up makes more since now that you mention it. He's has some RC planes and has been flying this for a couple of years now. The problem with them is even with our nice big backyard that's fairly open they are harder to fly on our 1 acre lot. We have great neighbors that allow us to fly over their yards and get a kick out of watching him fly.
P51 RC.jpg

With his cheerson he can go out the back door and be flying without packing up and heading to the church and flying at their baseball field. He really wants to do the aerial photography.

Thanks for the video link.

I should have mentioned this in my first post. I used to race RC cars indoors and out. I preferred the gas over the electric and raced serpent cars as I loved the 80+ speed of them. I've made sure that my son would have the chance to see if he liked rc cars. He was 3 when he got his first mini losi xt and has been flying air hogs since he was 5. He's had both car and air plane / heli simulators since he was 5. He's been flying the park zone planes for since he was 9. When I fly with him I let him trim my plane out and just fly even that I started flying planes in 1993 and rc cars since 1988. I feel that I let him down by getting him a knock off instead of a name brand quad. The cheerson can do way points but not follow me or point of interest. The phantoms give you all the bells and whistles at your finger tips without having to bring laptop with you to load your waypoints in right before you fly them. The mission planner software is impressive but doesn't have the ease of use that the dji go app has at your finger tips. Sorry for leaving that out.

The being higher up makes more since now that you mention it. He's has some RC planes and has been flying this for a couple of years now. The problem with them is even with our nice big backyard that's fairly open they are harder to fly on our 1 acre lot. We have great neighbors that allow us to fly over their yards and get a kick out of watching him fly.
View attachment 40453

With his cheerson he can go out the back door and be flying without packing up and heading to the church and flying at their baseball field. He really wants to do the aerial photography.

Thanks for the video link.

I should have mentioned this in my first post. I used to race RC cars indoors and out. I preferred the gas over the electric and raced serpent cars as I loved the 80+ speed of them. I've made sure that my son would have the chance to see if he liked rc cars. He was 3 when he got his first mini losi xt and has been flying air hogs since he was 5. He's had both car and air plane / heli simulators since he was 5. He's been flying the park zone planes for since he was 9. When I fly with him I let him trim my plane out and just fly even that I started flying planes in 1993 and rc cars since 1988. I feel that I let him down by getting him a knock off instead of a name brand quad. The cheerson can do way points but not follow me or point of interest. The phantoms give you all the bells and whistles at your finger tips without having to bring laptop with you to load your waypoints in right before you fly them. The mission planner software is impressive but doesn't have the ease of use that the dji go app has at your finger tips. Sorry for leaving that out.
It sounds to me like you should get the phantom 3 standard. It cost more to replace the camera on the advanced or pro than you can get the whole standard for now. You can set maximum speed and altitude as well as distance. You can fly in the simulator that uses the quadcopters sensors to practice. These things basically fly themselves, just make sure you watch all the DJI training videos and read the manual and safety disclosures several times. Start small on your first flight and practice auto takeoff and auto landing ( I ha d catch my P3P but the standard lands so much smoother so you can let it auto land) and stay higher than any obstacles, fly around in PGPS mode and get comfortable. I always make sure my return to home altitude is set to 120m and he fails age is set to rth before I take off. When the DJI Go app is updated on the phone or tablet your settings will be erased and my phone updates automatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elmore
It sounds to me like you should get the phantom 3 standard. It cost more to replace the camera on the advanced or pro than you can get the whole standard for now. You can set maximum speed and altitude as well as distance. You can fly in the simulator that uses the quadcopters sensors to practice. These things basically fly themselves, just make sure you watch all the DJI training videos and read the manual and safety disclosures several times. Start small on your first flight and practice auto takeoff and auto landing ( I ha d catch my P3P but the standard lands so much smoother so you can let it auto land) and stay higher than any obstacles, fly around in PGPS mode and get comfortable. I always make sure my return to home altitude is set to 120m and he fails age is set to rth before I take off. When the DJI Go app is updated on the phone or tablet your settings will be erased and my phone updates automatically.

Thank you for your reply! Some great tips!

Reactions: Sinisalo
Just went to the DJI store looked at both drones and don't see where the range of the vision positioning is listed. Does anyone know how far it's range is?

Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4