Snow Precautions

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I was wondering what others do to "prepare" your P3A or P3P for flight in flurries and snow showers. I know many do it and just wondering what you do ahead of time and what success/failures you've had in flying in snow.

I flew a week ago "between" snow showers and when the snow started again I couldn't keep my camera lens clear. The big fluffy flakes stuck to the lens like metal shavings to a magnet.

I do preheat my batteries for anything below 30deg but that's it so far.

Any precautions you do?

Just out of curiosity I was wondering what others do to "prepare" your P3A or P3P for flight in flurries and snow showers. I know many do it and just wondering what you do ahead of time and what success/failures you've had in flying in snow.

I flew a week ago between" snow showers and when the snow started again I couldn't keep my camera lens clear. The big fluffy flakes stuck to the lens like metal shavings to a magnet.

I do preheat my batteries for anything below 30deg but that's it so far.

Any precautions you do?
Its a slippery slope. Here's some info on the topic.
Flying in the snow | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: BigAl07
Its a slippery slope. Here's some info on the topic.
Flying in the snow | DJI Phantom Forum
Thank you. I don't know how I missed that one but I sure did.

I find it comical that all of the replies were basically "No" but in the actual votes it was 7 YES and only 3 NO. I assume those who do or would do it, would rather not get called out for it. Probably a "Just in case something goes wrong" situation LOL.

Big - I use some wide rubber bands to cover about 75% of the vents on the Phantom arms when it is cold or a bit misty out when flying (really not a good idea I would think to fly in wet conditions rain or snow.. I always keep in mind that bringing the Phantom into a warm place after flying in the cold - there is a possibility (slight maybe) there could be some condensation build up inside the unit - might be a little paranoid but I don't go out in to the cold again to fly right away - just in case of any issues that way.

I have used a "dish-soap and water" mix to coat the lens - then wipe it dry. This stops anything from sticking to it or having it fog up out in the cold. Same kind of trick hockey players use on their visors to keep them from fogging up. There are plenty of "anti-fog" products around that also prevent "foggy lens"- sporting goods store is a good spot for that stuff. I have heard "rain-x" (sp?) that is used on car windshields works also on a lens (never tired it though).

Moisture and electronic boards just don't make for a good mixture - could create shorts etc very quickly then down she comes - pretty expensive shoot!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic