Smoothing /Slowing Flight controls?

Reaction score
The turning speeds of my P2 result in poor video and often I need a smooth slow turn to keep a subject in the video frame. Is there a software/firmware upload that can change the speed characteristics of the flight controls? I almost wish there was a switch on the transmitter for slow vs regular flight controls for use with the camera, or times when flying without. New user

If you buy a 3rd party controller, you can get just that. I've even set up triple rate controls. With the rate switch in its normal position, the flight controls (elevator, aileron and rudder) are normal. In position 2, the same controls provide a linear sweep up to 70% of normal. And in the bottom setting you get a non-linear 70% which eases gradually from the center point.

What are some options for 3rd party controller(transmitter) and would any mods be needed on the P2 itself? I like the 3 separate options for control, are they adjustable, say 50% instead of 70%? captg

ianwood said:
If you buy a 3rd party controller, you can get just that. I've even set up triple rate controls. With the rate switch in its normal position, the flight controls (elevator, aileron and rudder) are normal. In position 2, the same controls provide a linear sweep up to 70% of normal. And in the bottom setting you get a non-linear 70% which eases gradually from the center point.

Cool. Is this the Futaba 8FGS you are referring to? Looks sweeeet...

ussvertigo said:
What are some options for 3rd party controller(transmitter) and would any mods be needed on the P2 itself? I like the 3 separate options for control, are they adjustable, say 50% instead of 70%? captg

You can dial them in however you like. Linear or on a curve to whatever % you like. You can link controls together to get smooth coordinated movements. I am about to set one of the switches to slowly pitch the gimble all the way down automatically in one slow smooth motion which I just learned was possible. It's a bit of a pain to figure out how to program all the different capabilities but once you get the hang of it, you can do a lot of things beyond what you get with the stock transmitter.

You also get a much better transmitter with greater range and less vulnerability to interference.

skeeter said:

Yessir.

Now look what you've done.... :eek:

Thanks ianwood!

What needs to be done inside the p2 in order to use the Futaba? (apologies for the noob question...)

ianwood said:
ussvertigo said:

You can dial them in however you like. Linear or on a curve to whatever % you like. You can link controls together to get smooth coordinated movements. I am about to set one of the switches to slowly pitch the gimble all the way down automatically in one slow smooth motion which I just learned was possible. It's a bit of a pain to figure out how to program all the different capabilities but once you get the hang of it, you can do a lot of things beyond what you get with the stock transmitter.

You also get a much better transmitter with greater range and less vulnerability to interference.

skeeter said:

Yessir.

You're not kidding the options it opened - like auto hover or auto pan...

EMCSQUAR said:
ianwood said:
ussvertigo said:

skeeter said:

Yessir.

You're not kidding the options it opened - like auto hover or auto pan...

Oh, my. I must learn more of this magical device of which you speak....(and there goes my bank account...).

Links, pointers? Seems to be quite a few models....what needs to be done to the P2 to use one of these lovelys?... (I don't mean to derail this thread...I'm a bit new here. Is there a better thread to move to?)

Hey that's my question also, if I weren't so lazy I guess I could do some research, but not sure what I'm supposed to look for. But this transmitter sounds exactly what I need, so is a mod needed on the P2 to hook the two up? gotta go, P2 is bringing my beer.

Oh, my. I must learn more of this magical device of which you speak....(and there goes my bank account...).

Links, pointers? Seems to be quite a few models....what needs to be done to the P2 to use one of these lovelys?... (I don't mean to derail this thread...I'm a bit new here. Is there a better thread to move to?)[/quote]

For the curious...

Note these are using the Futaba T8J

Auto Hover -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvkfpbjPsdw

Auto Pan -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktaBWmT0Dfs

skeeter said:

For the curious...

Note these are using the Futaba T8J

Auto Hover -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvkfpbjPsdw

Auto Pan -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktaBWmT0Dfs

Most interesting and thanks!

Now, do all of the Futabas not have spring loaded sticks? IOW, do you have to program them all to specifically force a hover with the P2?[/quote]

You have to add a kit to the Futaba (at least the T8J) to get centering stick similar to OEM Phantom TX. Centering the stick will make it hover in place.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik