Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Smooth POI

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by B- Scene Films, Jan 4, 2016.

1. B- Scene Films

Been doing a little testing to see if 3rd party apps can do a better job of POI than Go is doing.

Here is a video of a test / comparison using Airnest and Go.

Going to test Litchi next weekend. I wonder if the Inspire 1 has this behavior since it can pan 360 without a yaw.

AAPhoto, Trackman1 and Wacker2611 like this.
  2. msinger

Approved Vendor

It does. But, spinning the camera 360 degrees is not the same thing as POI.

3. Trackman1

Interesting post. Thanks.

4. n6vmo

I have not used Airnest or the Go app to orbit an object. My app of choice is Litchi.

What I noticed was that your circle around the POI is not perfectly round. If the P3 flies that imperfect orbit then I can imagine the clunkyness could be caused by the P3 adjusting its distance to and from the POI, accommodating for the imperfections.

Litchi defines a perfect circle around the object. then you manually adjust the radius of the circle.

But, I am curious to see the results of your Litchi orbit testing.

#4 n6vmo, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  5. B- Scene Films

I am running iOS and the current Litchi does not have Orbit so I will be making a circular waypoint mission for the Litchi test.

6. chapsrlz

i like dji go poi
    its smooth.

here is a test i did a couple months ago.

7. shockwave199

I think the go app orbit is pretty **** good. I like that you can pause it and not only that but you can manually fly the poi while it's paused for very fluid 180 back and forth swings as well as input sticks for speed and radius. Plus it flies the orbit continuously. What I don't like is having to set a center by flying over the poi. My next experiments with be doing a two point waypoint flight- one for gaining altitude and the next for poi center. Then I will save that if needed for future poi setup. The goal is to fly the waypoint mission at any time to re-center the bird on a poi. When it's hovering there I'll exit waypoints and enter poi, at which time I can just set the center where the bird is currently hovering. This will help me out to set up known poi's to fly at later times. I really hope dji adds the ability to name waypoints missions.

chapsrlz likes this.
  8. B- Scene Films

A lot of barrel distortion there. What camera is that?

9. Radar335

I've done some POI testing and compared Dji Go vs Litchi.
    So far I think Dji Go is doing a better job - very smooth. ( unfortunately I've deleted the footage, so I can't show).

I will do a new test as soon as the temperature rises, but this time also with Autopilot.

10. B- Scene Films

I am going to run a test with Litchi on Sunday (it's raining here till then) and I will also do some more tests with GO and get a video up of it all Sunday night. I see lots of folks loving how well Go does POI but I see the same issues in their footage as I see in mine. Try this with Go: Set altitude around 60' and a 150' radius. Then speed up the footage and look at it. Then look at it at normal speed and you will see the issues I am looking at.

NorthcountySD likes this.