Smoke. Smell. Motor not working. New Mexico Mountains.

adamgoodsell46 said:
nintendrone64 said:
adamgoodsell46 said:
Good idea with using one of the other motor. Is there a right and wrong way to remove the old motor from the soder?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hey, Adam.
I would assume that what you witnessed was actually your main board frying! :shock:
Unfortunately I have had this dilemma, RIGHT when I got my Phantom 2! I called my dealer
and they had told me they were having similar complaints! They agreed that it seems to be a manufacturing defect.
Send your drone back to your dealer and let them know what's happening. It's unfortunate that they sent these
awesome toys out before fully testing them :cry:
The smoke came from under the rear right wing, the only one thats not working. If my main board was fried Id assume that more would be going wrong.

Yes, but an ESC will not, and should not ever release smoke. The only thing that could have released the smoke was your circuit board frying. It's pretty cheap to replace too.

nintendrone64 said:
adamgoodsell46 said:
nintendrone64 said:
adamgoodsell46 said:
Good idea with using one of the other motor. Is there a right and wrong way to remove the old motor from the soder?

Hey, Adam.
I would assume that what you witnessed was actually your main board frying! :shock:
Unfortunately I have had this dilemma, RIGHT when I got my Phantom 2! I called my dealer
and they had told me they were having similar complaints! They agreed that it seems to be a manufacturing defect.
Send your drone back to your dealer and let them know what's happening. It's unfortunate that they sent these
awesome toys out before fully testing them :cry:
The smoke came from under the rear right wing, the only one thats not working. If my main board was fried Id assume that more would be going wrong.

Yes, but an ESC will not, and should not ever release smoke. The only thing that could have released the smoke was your circuit board frying. It's pretty cheap to replace too.
Can anyone else comfirm this? I will be doing the motor swap when I get home from coney island. Mmm mmm yummy :)

The ESC board itself won't release the "smoke", but the capacitor on it can. The white puff is a common symptom of capacitor failures, and any board that has one can produce it.

OI Photography said:
The ESC board itself won't release the "smoke", but the capacitor on it can. The white puff is a common symptom of capacitor failures, and any board that has one can produce it.
Any electronic part on a circuit board can smoke. Resistor, capacitor, and solid state parts like transistors and IC's. I would actually suspect a solid state device. The ESC has a logic IC and three high current transistors and possibly additional parts like resistors and capacitors. The high current transistors actually drive the motor. Most failures are in the components that are stressed. These "drivers" are carrying a great deal of current. If a motor is being driven but for some reason it cannot turn such as having a prop stuck on the ground, the current will increase as will the heat and yes, they will smoke. I've been around this stuff long enough to tell what kind of component burned by the smell.

Regardless, replacing the ESC is the way to make it right. :cool:

Geo

Okay thank you everyone for the overwhelming support with this project. Much appreciated. Swapped the motors and both motors are fine. After the swap, the same wing still does't work. I will be purchasing the ESC and doing the replacement. I will go search for the board on google right now. Anyone have any recommendations on a place with the fastest U.S. shipping to buy the board?

P.S. Soldering with a dirty tip is the most frusterating thing in the world. Cleaning the tip aleviates all frusteration.

Wow are replacement batteries really that much? A set of 2 for 318 dollars?

Yeah. They aren't jsut a plain battery thought. DJI call them 'intelligent' as they are able to control their own charge and discharge cycles, balance load over individual cells etc. They are little miricles of electrical engineering in their own right.

adamgoodsell46 said:
For any future readers, replacing the board did the trick.

:D hi five

adamgoodsell46 said:
The smoke came from under the rear right wing, the only one thats not working.

I had to replace the very same ESC last Friday. Mine wasn't as catastrophic as yours however the LEDs starting flashing the wrong colours / sequences on that right rear arm. Although the motor ran fine I wasn't happy that the board was potentionally faulty and decided to replace it. It was a little fiddly but it fixed the problem.

Glad your's is fixed to.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie