Smelly motor - how dangerous was this?

If you replace the motor yourself you will void the warranty. If your testing shows no ill effects when flying, why change it and void the warranty? If the craft fails because of motor failure, it would be under warranty. I don't see any evidence in your dat file that would void the warranty. I'd wait till after the warranty expires to replace the motor, and by that time you'll likely gain enough confidence to run it without replacing.

Reactions: N017RW
John Locke, I didn't see your post before I posted. I have ordered a new motor so I can replace it if necessary, but I have decided (after some more "missions", one that I just finished, and no smell at all anymore from that motor) that I probably won't open up the thing if I don't have to, thanks.

If you replace the motor yourself you will void the warranty. If your testing shows no ill effects when flying, why change it and void the warranty? If the craft fails because of motor failure, it would be under warranty. I don't see any evidence in your dat file that would void the warranty. I'd wait till after the warranty expires to replace the motor, and by that time you'll likely gain enough confidence to run it without replacing.

Agreed!! Keep your warranty and blame DJI if it crashes!

@Bud As for why it showed some strange data, my guess is that it may have been partially due to the motor getting obstructed as it would have been a "short" essentially which may have sent some strange data back to the ESC sensors ?? Just a guess

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I landed a bit " Bouncy" with my Advanced. It went over and started to screw itself into the ground. On picking it up whilst still running one motor had stopped running. (Posted this incident recently) Was told that these motors were possibly overload protected (Note possibly) Is there someone who can give us a conclusive answer to this question. Incidentally mine still works fine even on the day after turning all of and then back on.

You can get a board from rc recyclers in Raliegh N.C. I got one for $285.00. IF it's a p3 standard. If it's an advanced or a professional, I'm not sure. Look on ebay. Better safe than sorry.

Hey Bud,
Is that process pretty resource hungry ? What I'm wondering is, I have an older laptop that I want to use solely for running your & luap's setup on but it's older and let's just say "not the quickest" lol. Will it run just fine or do I need a fairly decent computer to run all that through ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Datcon is not too bad, but dashware takes more resources. I use an dual core AMD that can play 1080 but can not play 4K and it cannot preview dashware. It can render a 2 min 1080 dashware video in 15 min and then play that back. It was a good computer in 2007....

I landed a bit " Bouncy" with my Advanced. It went over and started to screw itself into the ground. On picking it up whilst still running one motor had stopped running. (Posted this incident recently) Was told that these motors were possibly overload protected (Note possibly) Is there someone who can give us a conclusive answer to this question. Incidentally mine still works fine even on the day after turning all of and then back on.
Could you retrieve your .DAT and post it here via DropBox? For information on how to retrieve it look here Retrieving a .DAT from the P3 Either @TheRealNick or I will take a look..

Well, I'm still flying mine, so no harm was obviously done on that one, at least not on the short term. But I must say that a drone with this price really ought to have mechanisms/programming that protected different parts when the motors were blocked.

I know its been a while sense you had flipped your phantom..upside down..i was wondering did you have any motor problems sense..i had a blade strike also noise and all ....small electronics burn smell,the kind of smell when you plug in new electronics..my motor stopped then restarted..was hot..but still works..kept smelling with blades off and full throttle...not to strong ...should i replace motor?? Thanks

I know its been a while sense you had flipped your phantom..upside down..i was wondering did you have any motor problems sense..i had a blade strike also noise and all ....small electronics burn smell,the kind of smell when you plug in new electronics..my motor stopped then restarted..was hot..but still works..kept smelling with blades off and full throttle...not to strong ...should i replace motor?? Thanks
G,Day Tomstr,
To be perfectly honest my Phantom is still working perfectly.No overheating problems and no smell. Maybe I got to it early and turned everything of very quickly. With the type of situation you described I really don't think you have a major problem. My personal opinion is that these motors are pretty rugged. and you or I would not be the only two people that have done this. I cant remember when the last time I read in a forum where this happened. (Probably get shot down in flames) My suggestion would be to still fly but for a few weeks keep it low. .Keep checking the motors for comparable heat. Perhaps even run the Phantom on the ground (Held down of course) And see if all motors feel around the same. Sorry I can't be of more help. Others help.

G,Day Tomstr,
To be perfectly honest my Phantom is still working perfectly.No overheating problems and no smell. Maybe I got to it early and turned everything of very quickly. With the type of situation you described I really don't think you have a major problem. My personal opinion is that these motors are pretty rugged. and you or I would not be the only two people that have done this. I cant remember when the last time I read in a forum where this happened. (Probably get shot down in flames) My suggestion would be to still fly but for a few weeks keep it low. .Keep checking the motors for comparable heat. Perhaps even run the Phantom on the ground (Held down of course) And see if all motors feel around the same. Sorry I can't be of more help. Others help.

No thank you for responding back..I tipped my pro because left stick down not long enough so I discovered a double stick shut down then it tipped over on the cement, then a loud screeching noise,took me about 12 seconds to shut down ,the motor did not spin on second start,then I tried again,then it worked...flew again but real low..seems ok ,,smelled motor just to check..smells like when you get a new electronic startup smell not burned but just a break in smell if that makes sense...I found your comment very helpful. .I have another mainboard from a advanced if I need a motor..but splitting the shell is a nightmare. ..please write back soon. Thanks

My Phantom is still flying as good as ever. Used it with a monster of a sweep around my house in Litchi (I just sold it, possibly partly because of the video), from close to the ground to 50 meters up, and at times only a couple of meters from the corners. So if the engine had been damaged it would have been a bad crash, probably a window or two! ;) But no problems at all.

My Phantom is still flying as good as ever. Used it with a monster of a sweep around my house in Litchi (I just sold it, possibly partly because of the video), from close to the ground to 50 meters up, and at times only a couple of meters from the corners. So if the engine had been damaged it would have been a bad crash, probably a window or two! ;) But no problems at all.

Thanks for taking the time to write back..I went ahead and installed another motor to be on the safe side...well stupid me was not paying attention to the motor..I installed the wrong direction motor..the only reason I knew that I did this is because I watched a youtube video read the comments found a guy who installed a wrong direction motor,he flew it up and it flipped upside down, so I went to look at mine and sure enough that's what I did..I have a advanced lying around for parts...that's were the parts come from..also you can't splice the motor wires because the copper wires have a coating on them..like motor windings solder will not adhere to it..so it all worked out better because I was not proud of my solder joints..and I did finally used hot glue on my final go around..and so the factory uses high temp solder...so make sure the iron is tenged....sorry can't spell...so add solder to the joint don't try to melt the factory stuff...you may damage the board....

Just curious, does anybody know what is actually making those very loud "squeaking" sound when "motor obstructed" happen??? is that the sound of the motor it self?? or it came from some kind of buzzer (alarm) on the mainboard as same as the startup (booting) sound came from??

Thanks ...

Just curious, does anybody know what is actually making those very loud "squeaking" sound when "motor obstructed" happen??? is that the sound of the motor it self?? or it came from some kind of buzzer (alarm) on the mainboard as same as the startup (booting) sound came from??

Thanks ...
It's the motor acting as a simple lspeaker- line frequency causing the locked rotor to oscillate.

It's the motor acting as a simple lspeaker- line frequency causing the locked rotor to oscillate.

Thanks for your kind respond @WithTheBirds....
Is this the same way as the sound of "power on" came from??? Because sometimes i see them make some left and right movement during that "power on" jingle...
And i heard it very loud at over 50meters away...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj