Smartphone Sunshade Magnifier

Review of Smartphone Sunshade + Sunshade Magnifier

Hello. Got my sunshade in from Milton/XO Innovations and posted a fairly in-depth video review including some testing - although it had to be artificial as there were thunderstorms and torrential rain rolling through all day when I did it, it was darker outside than indoors which doesn't make for great testing of a sun shade!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sNzAf7H_x8[/youtube]

Re: Review of Smartphone Sunshade + Sunshade Magnifier

Pull_Up said:
Hello. Got my sunshade in from Milton/XO Innovations and posted a fairly in-depth video review including some testing - although it had to be artificial as there were thunderstorms and torrential rain rolling through all day when I did it, it was darker outside than indoors which doesn't make for great testing of a sun shade!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sNzAf7H_x8[/youtube]

Testing a sunshade in 'Old Blighty'? How often would you need it? :lol:

-slinger

Attachments

• _DSC1544.jpg
    _DSC1544.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,370
  • _DSC1545.jpg
    _DSC1545.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,329
  • _DSC1547.jpg
    _DSC1547.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,373

Attachments

• _DSC1555.jpg
    _DSC1555.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,343
  • _DSC1559.jpg
    _DSC1559.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,408
Hello Milton.

I own your iPhone 5 shade, and use it every time I get a chance, however I'm moving up to a tablet now. Unfortunately you have no shade for it (new 7" Galaxy Tab 4). I realize it's impossible for you to keep up with all the various devices, especially if you're actually buying them to test fit (which is just nuts). IF you're interested in the exact dimensions of this tablet, please let me know. If not, I understand.

Regardless, I would like to offer a suggestion for future designs based on my experience with the iPhone shade. Please do not take any of this as being critical for the sake of it, as my only interest is in throwing out suggestions that may make the products better.

1) They're heavy for what they do. Most competing products are either made of rubberized polymers, which are inherently lighter and less prone to cracking, or they are thinner, or they are made from woven materials like nylon. There's a reason for that, and that's that they are easier to carry and/or they can be folded for portability. Your products are built like a tank, but is that really the best philosophy for a sun shade on a controller that may already be getting heavy from third-party RF gear?

2) The shape is a box, whereas other products with similar purpose are corner-cut. Attached is a Photoshopped version of your iPad mini shade, which would shave I'm guessing 20-25% off the weight and likely not affect the performance in a significant way. It may also feel less "claustrophobic" and allow better access to the controls, especially when the size of the device gets up into iPad range.

Anyway, again, love what you're doing and just through I'd offer some end-user input.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Modification.jpg
    Modification.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,370
Hello there, thank you for very good feedback, yes i am considering other plastics, ABS is one of them it is durable and flexeble but the down side is that white color fade out to Yellow when left under the sun for a long time or with just time it turns to yellow cream.

But considering to use ABS Plastic in Black instead, here is one of my prototype for the iPad Air this version does not attatch to the DJI Phone Holder.

Attachments

• ipad1small.jpg
    ipad1small.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,338
  • ipad2small.jpg
    ipad2small.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,330
  • ipad3small.jpg
    ipad3small.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,360
I have the Sunshade with Magnifier for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and I mount it to the controller with the dual phone holder method.
I am a retired engineer and life long home workshop guy - and I am very impressed with the design, durability and quality of the sunshade.
A couple of comments just to weigh in on the discussion...
1. I don't find the weight a problem, in fact I don't even notice it when flying the Phantom.
2. I would be very hesitant to cut off corners because I have found that in bright conditions I still get some glare from light that is reflected off me. When trying to read "the fine print" such as battery percentage etc. I put my face against the front edge of the sunshade to reduce the reflected glare. Cutting of the corners would make that much less effective.
3. I find that the magnifier works perfectly for me in either the normal or close look position - so obviously a good choice of optics.

I ordered one of these, and it arrived damaged in transit. Milton immediately sent another one even though it wasn't his fault. It is great to use, and comforting to know you can quickly look up and see your quad whenever you need to. :)

Don't you think more people are using the iPad mini more than the iPad Air ?
I see a lot of people using the mini than the air. IMHO

Mori55 said:
Don't you think more people are using the iPad mini more than the iPad Air ?
I see a lot of people using the mini than the air. IMHO

iPad mini Sunshade is available on my store...

Best,

Google Nexus 7
now available on the XO innovations eBay store!

Attachments

• _DSC1564 (1).jpg
    _DSC1564 (1).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 456
  • _DSC1566 (1).jpg
    _DSC1566 (1).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 479
  • _DSC1565 (1).jpg
    _DSC1565 (1).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 484
Milton Amaya said:
Nexus 7
now available on the XO innovations eBay store!

Hi
I see you have this listed as "Samsung Galaxy Nexus 7" on Ebay. I have a "Google Nexus 7" are they the same and will your sunshade fit my tablet?

I know Milton has made each of his shades to fit specific models, but if he were to list the dimensions of each then I guess people with different phones would be able to see if they would fit? It would have to be on an "own risk, no returns if doesn't fit" basis for him to do it, I guess - he can only guarantee the fit of the devices he has actually built shades around.

Pull_Up said:
I know Milton has made each of his shades to fit specific models, but if he were to list the dimensions of each then I guess people with different phones would be able to see if they would fit? It would have to be on an "own risk, no returns if doesn't fit" basis for him to do it, I guess - he can only guarantee the fit of the devices he has actually built shades around.

Bump for a good idea.

Milton I have one of your shades for the iPad mini so far I'm disappointed in the design. I've had to add some felt pads to make the ipad stay in the channel while I'm trying to clip the 2 phone holders on to the shade. With out those the ipad keeps sliding out. Then you forgot to allow me to turn the ipad off when I'm finished flying. I've had to cut a hole in the shade so that I can get to the on/off button while it's still mounted . Then the worst flaw it doesn't stop the glare in the slightest. Well I knew I was taking an expensive risk when I bought it. So I suggest you have another go at the design and keep in mind that it needs to fold in some way to let it travel in the same case as the P2V+(At the same time)

Comments somewhat related to the English Guys post...
I had noticed that in bright sunlight there was a lot of sun reflected off my face that made it hard to read the fine print on the smart phone display (Galaxy S4). I was able to see the main display but when I tried to read the battery%, satellites, etc it was real hard in bright sun. My son, with younger eyes, didn't have any problem. I experimented with a sunshade extension made out of cardboard and later built it in plastic. It just slides on to Milton's sunshade and so far I haven't needed any fasteners. Isf you look close you will see a inward pointing flange that wraps around the bottom edge and holds the extension down against the sunshade. Normally I am not holding it close to my face but when I need to read the fine print I can put the extension right against my face and it is contoured to totally cuts out the sun. You can notice where it is shown on it's side that it doesn't extend any further than is needed. The white inner portion slides over Milton's shade (of which I am a big fan).

In one picture you can see a cardboard box covered with blue painters tape. One edge is open. This slides over the magnifier when I put it in the case to protect the magnifier from stuff stored inside the sunshade.

The other picture shows how I modified my Tradecraft case. Based on an idea in this thread I also felt that if the sunshade could fit in the case it effectively wouldn't take up much room as other stuff could be stored inside the sunshade. I was able to enlarge the cutout to fit the sunshade with my extension... and still get lots of accessories inside it.

I was also able to cut a pocket extension where the transmitter goes to allow the double phone holder clamps to remain on the transmitter when it is stored.

So all in all, it is working well for me.

Attachments

• Shade 1.jpg
    Shade 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 428
  • Shade 2.jpg
    Shade 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 418

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members