Smart phone vs. tablet

Reaction score
What does everyone use to view their app? I've been using my iPhone 5 and it's a bit small. It looks like most people use something bigger. Bigger for me is an iPad Air but I'm not sure if that'll end up being too big and cumbersome to attach to the remote. So my questions are?

1) what do you use?
2) does anyone use an iPad Air? If so, what's your experience been?
3) what's the exact part that I need to purchase to attach the iPad Air?
4) Is there a sunshade that's available for the Air? What's that part?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Many people are using an iPad Air. Most of those people who aren't are using another tablet from this list.

The iPad Air will just fit into the tablet holder. If you put it in a case, then you're going to need some type of extender. This extender is designed well and will securely hold your tablet in place.

DJI does not make a sun shade that'll fit the iPad Air. You can find some commonly used sun shades here.

Reactions: massphantomguy
Started with a iPad Air which I was not happy with the size. Traded in for a mini4 which I feel is a great size to use on the controller. Just my personal opinion. I find no need for a sunshade with the mini4.

I'm getting a tablet to replace my underpowered old iPad mini 1.

But I haven't been yet able to decide between iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro 9.7".

The mini is unobtrusive and handy but sometimes I miss a larger screen. iPad Pro 9.7" has currently the best tablet screen in bright sunlight.

Started with 7 inch Android mini tablet. Changed to iPad mini 4, because the GoApp works faster and better for me on iPad mini 4.
Made a sunshade out of a tough cardboad box. Works great.
Do need a Tablet holder & extender,..AMAZON.

I've been using the iPhone 6s Plus but recently picked up a mini 2. I've not been able to connect it yet, but that's another thread. I found that using the iPhone in a VR BOX with the fpv app works great, no sun glare.

Phone is too small for FPV. The Nvidea Shield works well, if you like android, and it's only about $200.00. The built-in video cache and the HDMI out is a great feature.

I'm trying the iPad Pro 9.7" which is really bright and clear. Hoodi vision paddy hat helps with the sun. FYI, the metal tablet holder bracket is a treat for holding these heavier tablets and pads.
image.jpeg

This is the Pro 9.7", the same size as the iPad Air. I use the cable Amazon.com: Perfect Size for DJI Inspire 1& Phantom 3 Remote Control with iPad Air Mini, Cambond® Apple MFi Certified 1ft Lightning Cord Nylon Braided for iPhone 6 6 plus 5 5s 5c, iPad, iPod ( Solid Silver ): Cell Phones & Accessories found on msinger's list.

I did weigh the three devices I use for FPV just for a comparison:
iPad mini, 7.9", 11.1 ounces.
iPad Pro, 9.7", 15.9 ounces.
Nvidea Shield, 8", 13.7 ounces.

i have an Insignia Flex Elite 7.85" android, Lolipop 5.0 operating system with 2gb processor (4 core), 16 gb storage and a SD card slot. The display is 2048 x 1546, very bright screen and it was at Best Buy for only $99, works great-I had been using my iPhone 5S which to me was way too small. Much easier to fly actually being able to see what I'm doing.;)

i have an Insignia Flex Elite 7.85" android, Lolipop 5.0 operating system with 2gb processor (4 core), 16 gb storage and a SD card slot. The display is 2048 x 1546, very bright screen and it was at Best Buy for only $99, works great-I had been using my iPhone 5S which to me was way too small. Much easier to fly actually being able to see what I'm doing.;)
mmtphoto, that's an excellent suggestion. I've always been an iPad/iPhone user but a $99 tablet, strictly for the Phantom, might be exactly what I need! I had priced out an iPad mini and it didn't make sense to buy a tablet that cost as much as the quadcopter. Does your droid have 3G/4G connection? Do you need to have 3G/4G connection or is wifi connection alone to the drone enough?

mmtphoto, that's an excellent suggestion. I've always been an iPad/iPhone user but a $99 tablet, strictly for the Phantom, might be exactly what I need! I had priced out an iPad mini and it didn't make sense to buy a tablet that cost as much as the quadcopter. Does your droid have 3G/4G connection? Do you need to have 3G/4G connection or is wifi connection alone to the drone enough?

it does not have 3g/4g nor does it need it, it has map/gps and wifi, so I have the use of my phone while flying if needed. Another plus IMO. It does sit on the kitchen table, and is my first android so I have put other things on it but it is nice and I can surf forums and other sites with no problems. Androids do take a little time to get used to if you are a PC fossil like me (I still struggle with IOS too, haha) but I like that i can use this primarily for the Phantom, have the phone as a backup, and it takes small space on the kitchen table. Win/will/win...:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj