Smart go to home question

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Do you recommend turning on smart go to home ? Because when i have it on i have less flying time which is understandable. Now lets say my p3p is 1 km away and i dont have smart go to home on but have the regular RTH on , what will happen? If it doesn't have enough power to come back and if i dont have any visual contact , do you think its always good to have it turned on ?

I've never gotten a good understanding of what "smart" brought to RTH. Some originally thought it meant you could control the craft during RTH, but you have always been able to control things during regular RTH. You can yaw this way and that, slow up, speed up, whatever. I don't know what flipping the "smart" switch in the GO app does. Something to do with when it becomes activated, perhaps?
Are we just taking about the difference between failsafe, low battery, and the RTH button? The latter being "smart"?

Last edited:
Hello guys,

Do you recommend turning on smart go to home ? Because when i have it on i have less flying time which is understandable. Now lets say my p3p is 1 km away and i dont have smart go to home on but have the regular RTH on , what will happen? If it doesn't have enough power to come back and if i dont have any visual contact , do you think its always good to have it turned on ?
I'm not sure why you think Smart RTH will give you less flying time.
I can't find any reason it would.

Smart RTH is just a variation of RTH that allows you to have some control while RTH is activated.

i-RwnjXCV-L.jpg

See this post for more info:
DJI Go : Smart Go Home option | DJI Phantom Forum

Do you recommend turning on smart go to home?
There are three types of return to home functions:
  • Smart RTH: when you manually activate RTH by holding the button on the front of your remote controller
  • Low Battery RTH: when your Phantom auto returns home on low battery
  • Failsafe RTH: when the remote controller signal is lost and your Phantom auto returns home
Smart RTH is always available. The only time you'd really need to use it is if your Phantom is out of sight and you're not sure how to bring it back.

If it doesn't have enough power to come back and if i dont have any visual contact
If your Phantom does not have enough power to return home, it'll auto land at its current location. That occurs when the battery is critically low.

Reactions: mirrorimage
Thanks i thought Smart RTH means it calculates distance to the home location and adjust itself the RTH time and the more distance u go the the less time you have to return to the base. Thanks for all the help !

Thanks i thought Smart RTH means it calculates distance to the home location and adjust itself the RTH time
That's Low Battery RTH

... the more distance u go the the less time you have to return to the base.
That's a fact of life whatever setting you use.

Thanks, this clarifies a ton. Smart return to home is engaged from the transmitter by the pilot?

i thought Smart RTH means it calculates distance to the home location and adjust itself the RTH time and the more distance u go the the less time you have to return to the base
It sounds like you're describing the "Smart Go Home" setting in the "Advanced Settings" section of the DJI GO app. While the name is similar, it has nothing to do with Smart RTH (FYI). When enabled and your Phantom detects it is at a point where it needs to start returning so it can make it back before the battery dies, it'll auto return to home. The DJI GO app will show a message on the screen and give you 10 seconds to cancel the RTH. If you do nothing, your Phantom will RTH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers