Smallest drone for dedicated camera

Reaction score
sorry, I'm just a beginner to droves. But I would like to get one for photography. I'd really like to use a dedicated camera, such as the Sony RX100v (299g), RX1 (472g) or A7r II. I'm 95% interested in photography, but video.

So what's the smallest drone I can get that would be able to carry these cameras?

A huge bird. Probably a matrix..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

But with the rx100 only 300g does it rally take a matrice? Those things are huge. The 600 is almost to the waist level, no?

I'm guessing, with respect, most in this forum (which is "Phantom-pilots" after all) think you may be kidding.

In seriousness, the cameras mentioned might require something quite a bit heftier than any drones generally discussed here. In the case of the A7RII - OMG! - that would require a beast to lift, not only in size but also in bullet proof reliability considering that the camera body alone is about 3000USD; a hexacopter (more than four blades anyway) would be needed in case a prop got damaged, if you want to save the camera. I'm sure there are plenty out there, but they may be pricey machines.

One suggestion would be perhaps putting a request on Craigslist (not kidding here) for someone to build a good heavy lifter for you with great flight control stabilization, GPS, telemetry/video link, and a really good gimbal. Be ready to have to get a 8- to 12-channel programmable transmitter, too. BIG investment overall, but it will be nice aircraft for sure.

Last edited:
I'm guessing, with respect, most in this forum (which is "Phantom-pilots" after all) think you may be kidding.

In seriousness, the cameras mentioned might require something quite a bit heftier than any drones generally discussed here. In the case of the A7RII - OMG! - that would require a beast to lift, not only in size but also in bullet proof reliability considering that the camera body alone is about 3000USD; a hexacopter (more than four blades anyway) would be needed in case a prop got damaged, if you want to save the camera. I'm sure there are plenty out there, but they may be pricey machines.

One suggestion would be perhaps putting a request on Craigslist (not kidding here) for someone to build a good heavy lifter for you with great flight control stabilization, GPS, telemetry/video link, and a really good gimbal. Be ready to have to get a 8- to0 12-channel programmable transmitter, too. Big investment but it will be nice.

Yes. Admittedly, I am just beginning to get into drones. I know very little now, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I know the A7r II is a lot heavier. But something as light as the RX100v should be doable, no? I wouldn't a custom built drone since I suspect those would be particular difficult to operate.

Where I got this idea is from this video. I'm not sure the particular model of drone they have, but the white shell looks a lot like a Phantom drone from Google images.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ya, I believe that is one of the Matrice models, though I did not know they made a four-bladed version (which I would avoid if your camera is mega expensive; one prop or motor goes, you simply cannot expect to recover...unless the aircraft has a parachute system).

Maybe someone familiar with these will chime-in here. Good luck.

Look at the size of a camera on the phantom models, then look at your camera, look back to the phantom camera, then back to yours.
If you are true beginner, your camera is the last one that should go in the air. Using an inductrix fpv to start flying with a camera and getting use to flying will be the best choice till you are ready to fly a phantom.
Your camera is too heavy to fly unless you are looking at Ronin MX, which would attach to a M600, which is crazy money for a drone.
Start small and build up your skills.

Reactions: Mako79
681d069583f710f78fd936b20e2070e6.jpg
Typhoon might hold it, mine is a beast.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The DJI P4 PRO is using a 1inch sensor which is on par (maybe same) as the RX100.
If you lift the RX100 then you will have difficulties in controlling the settings in the air. You will need to land and make changes and then lift again.
The benefit of the P4PRO is the ability to make changes in mid flight and produce (maybe) the equivalence without having to risk lugging an expensive camera. The P4Pro will save you time as you can download pics mid flight and minimise reshoots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31