Small UAS NPRM just got pinged.

Reaction score
The anticipated NPRM has been in the White House’s Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) for months. Yesterday (1/28/15) model aircraft regulations were added to the NPRM.

From: http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201410&RIN=2120-AJ60
The FAA is proposing to amend its regulations to adopt specific rules for the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS). These changes would address the classification of sUAS, certification of sUAS pilots and visual observers, registration of sUAS, approval of sUAS operations, and sUAS operational limits. The NPRM also proposes regulations for all sUAS, including operating standards for model aircraft and low performance (e.g., toy) operations, to increase the safety and efficiency of the NAS. The FAA and sUAS community lack sufficient formal safety data regarding unmanned operations to support granting traditional, routine access to the NAS. This proposed rule would result in the regular collection of safety data from the user community and help the FAA develop new regulations and expand sUAS access to the NAS.
This will be interesting considering that Congress told the FAA- "hands off" model regulations. Note, this change to the NPRM was made by the White House, not the FAA.

Well, given that 100% of the incidents are not commercial operations, maybe that's a good thing. But right now, the problem is not regulation. It's education. Writing more regulations will do nothing if nobody knows what they are. The FAA should be focused on education.

SteveMann said:
This will be interesting considering that Congress told the FAA- "hands off" model regulations. Note, this change to the NPRM was made by the White House, not the FAA.

Congress told the FAA hands off on model aircraft as defined in Section 336 of P.L. 112-95 which requires operation within the programming of a Community Based Organization. I have been saying all along that the NPRM/sUAS Rule will almost certainly have a section for model aircraft operated by people who choose not to operate under Section 336. No surprises here at all.

I hope the Rule spells out the fact that in order to operate under the Section 336 you must belong to the CBO whose programming you are operating under. While the intent of Congress and the wording of the law seem crystal clear, there are still many people who do not understand what the law means.

BTW - there is nothing in that link that indicates that OIRA or anyone else changed what the FAA submitted to them. And as far as I can see, this was published in the Fall of 2014, so it is not new info. That is consistent with what I was told a couple of weeks ago when I asked the lead AMA regulatory person when it was sent to OMB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31