Small cracks in shell near motor mount screws

Reaction score
e3ffa4c9aa16cde5ecddbd8785ec872a.jpg

We've all seen these on the forum before, now it happened to me. Should I stop flying until I fix it with a new shell or "strong arm reinforcement plates", or with some epoxy/silicone? What's the best way to fix this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Replacing the shell is the best fix. If the plastic cracks around the motor screws, it would be possible for the motor to fall out mid-flight. You could contact DJI and have them repair it under warranty for free or buy a shell from DJI or on Amazon and fix it yourself.

The arm reinforcements will most likely hold everything together just fine. Your shell might continue to crack beneath the reinforcements though.

Do you think I could use those metal ones right over the small cracks?

Does anyone think that using prop guards would help reinforce the cracked area?

Does anyone think that using prop guards would help reinforce the cracked area?
Yes. But, they will eventually break free from the arms if all of the screw posts crack.

Do the screws that attach the prop guards thread into the motor, or do they thread into a threaded plug on the other side of the motor? Thanks

The screws thread into the motor.

There are 2 screws per prop guard, and they both screw into the motor itself?

Just got my first small crack in P3P after 6 months. Decided to send it in for warranty repair since I just purchased a second P3P at Micro Center sale.
DJI responded quickly with a RMA and return tag (to Carson, CA). Shipped it off Tuesday May 30. Received it back today (Friday June 10).
Looks like not sending it in for warranty repair due to months without the aircraft may be a thing of the past?
IMG_0406.JPG

How long does it take for an amateur like me to replace a shell?

I discovered the same thing last night when opening up my P3A. Since the cracked parts were not the motor mounts and just to fasten both halves of the shell together, I used gaffers tape. On mine it was 1 screw on the left and right rear arms. I ordered a shell anyway but I wont be rushing to swap the guts.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465594865.690437.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465594878.324697.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465594889.141268.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465594899.325472.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465594913.084977.jpg

Last edited:
Don't those 4 screws all screw into the motor? I'm confused by the 2nd photo you posted.

Don't those 4 screws all screw into the motor? I'm confused by the 2nd photo you posted.

No. The 4 screws in the motor aren't visible in the 2nd photo because they're, in the motor. The ones that cracked on mine are just to hold the shell together. The top half if the shell has metal threading in the sockets that line up and meet the bottom half. The piece that cracked is just a post.

Ahhh my bad your cracks are in the motor mount screws. You need a new shell.

So the 4 large screws in the first photo are just to attach the bottom and top halves of the shell together?

No. Those are the motor mount screws. Look at it closely. The screws DIRECTLY below the motor go into the motor. The ones not under the motor are to fasten the shell. Sorry I replied to this thread on my phone and I thought it was a different thread that I was looking at on my computer. Your cracks are different than mine.

Ok so on photo 1, the inner pair of screws fasten upper to lower shell. The outer pair of screws fasten the lower shell to the motor. But if only the outer pair of screws go into the motor, there must be another 2 screws somewhere for the motor - where are they? Thx. I could probably YouTube a video that would show them when I'm off work
K

Let me make this simple. The red arrows are the screws that go into the motors.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465596926.840546.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl