Small Aircraft incursion into my airspace no way to report to FAA

Reaction score
I tried to send the following to the FAA via email when I found I could not seem to be able make a formal report using their system, then I found out they will not accept emails about incidents because of "privacy concerns". The first segment below describes the incident and why I wanted to send it and why I couldn't. '
The second segment below is an email I did send since it did not include any privacy information.

Let's see how level the playing field really is.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1st segment

I was recreationally flying my DJI Phantom 3 Professional over my property near Pomona, Illinois this morning at approximately 8:45 AM CDT. While operating the model at approximately 150 ft AGL my airspace was overflown by a what appeared to be a wingover single engine aircraft operating somewhere between 500 and 1200 feet AGL. I immediately brought my model down to below 75 feet until the aircraft could no longer be seen or heard. I continued my model flight with a ceiling of 395 feet and at all times i was in LOS with the model. Less than 5 minutes later, the aircraft reentered my airspace and was considerably lower. To avoid any issues with the aircraft, I landed the model after descending to less than 50 feet AGL.

The problem is that there is no place for a recreational model pilot to report incursions yet there are multiple ways for a pilot to claim they have had a "drone" incident. In this case I want to be on the record that I was operating the model within FAA recommendations and the only person with questionable flight parameters was the pilot of the small aircraft, Thank you for your attention.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2nd segment

How does a civilian recreational UAV owner operating completely within current FAA recommendations report an incursion of a civilian aircraft into his private property airspace which causes the UAV pilot to have to take preemptory evasive action to avoid a possible incident? It would appear your forms do not take that eventuality into account. Thank you,

I would let it go and not draw attention to the drone industry. Probably won't happen often. It may backfire on you.
Can't hide and hope. If these incident happen at all it and then get reported by civilian pilots as drone incidents, who loses?..

You want to report legal flying and that you did the correct thing in avoiding a manned aircraft? This will simple add to the number of "drone reports".

Sorry, the point is reporting the unsafe incursion of a civilian aircraft into space already occupied by a drone. Different thing all together. I have a strong belief that the aircraft came back lower, just to get a look at the drone. Next this thing becomes an incident report file by a civilian pilot against a drone.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
let it go.
Not seeing letting go as a good long term alternative but believe me, I fully understand and respect your point.
Safe flights and clear skies brother.

Not seeing letting go as a good long term alternative but believe me, I fully understand and respect your point.
Safe flights and clear skies brother.
and I understand your point. Hopefully it won't happen too often. If you want to pursue, start recording some evidence.

Reactions: Jeff48920
Im confused at what your are trying to report, As i am a pilot w/pilot license, I am allowed to fly as low as 500ft. that is why drones are not allowed to fly above 400, to keep spacing.

Did the pilot of the full scale aircraft fly lower then 500ft?

I would let it go and not draw attention to the drone industry. Probably won't happen often. It may backfire on you.
What really! NO !! Their going to hold our feet to the fire then we do the same! So someone violates you. You just let it go so you don't draw attention to yourself. Wow

Sorry, the point is reporting the unsafe incursion of a civilian aircraft into space already occupied by a drone. Different thing all together. I have a strong belief that the aircraft came back lower, just to get a look at the drone. Next this thing becomes an incident report file by a civilian pilot against a drone.
A drone is obligated to leave the airspace of a manned aircraft, period. You can complain about the pilot and his intentions all you want, it won't change that fact. The FAA will do as they have done will all of the other complaints, they will file it and nothing else. It will then add to the number of "drone sittings".

Yes I believe this happens and most reports are BS made by douche bag pilots!!!!

What really! NO !! Their going to hold our feet to the fire then we do the same! So someone violates you. You just let it go so you don't draw attention to yourself. Wow
Yep. not worth making a stink in a manned vs unmanned areal vehicle. Give them the right of way. You can move your drone much quicker. I'd only be concerned over public safety of the airplane flying too low. Not my drone. Pick your battles. This isn't one of those.

Reactions: unclejas
Yes I believe this happens and most reports are BS made by douche bag pilots!!!!
Pilots go to school and are educated. They have their lives in their hands up there. I don't think pilots are reckless or douche bags. They have their licenses to think of and have a higher responsibility than attacking drones.

I doubt seriously he even saw your quad.
I fly experimental aircraft and even tho we are constantly scanning the sky, something that small will be very difficult to identify for the brief time he was over your property.

Pilots go to school and are educated. They have their lives in their hands up there. I don't think pilots are reckless or douche bags. They have their licenses to think of and have a higher responsibility than attacking drones.
I went to school and have a masters plus I did not loose my common sense to boot! Just because you get a "LICENSE" in something doctor, lawyer, pilot. Doesn't mean you walk on water and are perfect in every way there are those who are reckless and have ill intentions who hold LICENSES. And we haven't even touched on those who have drivers LICENSES.

I went to school and have a masters plus I did not loose my common sense to boot! Just because you get a "LICENSE" in something doctor, lawyer, pilot. Doesn't mean you walk on water and are perfect in every way there are those who are reckless and have ill intentions who hold LICENSES. And we haven't even touched on those who have drivers LICENSES.
you called them douche bag pilots for reporting drones. They have more to loose than a piece of plastic flying in the sky and generally should report activity of drones in their airspace. They also have the right of way under 500 feet (because they are manned). Should they fly below that? generally no. But they may.

Arguing that an RC aircraft trumps a manned aircraft is stupid. And you are right, a masters degree doesn't teach common sense. I love flying my drone..but I have no entitlement to airspace. I gladly relent to manned flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20