Slowing down yaw

Reaction score
Guys N Gals

What is the correct way to slow down the yaw.
I have noticed that it seems to pan WAY TO FAST and I do not have good control.
I think the setting is at 120% if I remember right. Do I want to move this number up or down to slow down the Yaw...

TIA

Move it down to slow it down. But be warned NOW that any changes with your Gain setting will have effects in other parts of flight control. If I were going to make a Gain settings change, I would leave the 200% ones alone and then change the remaining 4 to the same number. 110% would be a good starting point, if not the number you settle with. But I agree I have always thought the yaw was too fast but, I just changed my flying technique to adjusts to it instead.

Leave it alone, you just need to learn how to move the sticks slower and have better control. I'd advise you to pinch the sticks with your thumb and forefinger at the base of the sticks and practice yawing slower. You can do it but it does take practice. I can yaw now after that bit of training. I tried extending the sticks which kinda helped and I also opened the tx and screwed the sticks a bit tighter which kinda helped too but I have everything back to normal because I realised that just paying attention to your yawing with practice is the best way to sort out your problem.

You know now that I think about it.....loosen up the transmitter sticks and extend them will slow down the rate of movement. Try it.

It doesn't do any good to lower the yaw setting as that only affects the autopilot yaw not the yaw input on the RC control. I've found that a slow consistent yaw is all but impossible even when gripping the stick down low between thumb and finger and holding pressure down against the transmitter body. It may depend on ones definition of "slow consistent yaw" but to me its a nice slow pan in the video.

It looks like he is not using his technique in which "the thumb is patented" to actually do a smooth yaw for video but rather spacing photos to input to panorama software. Having said that, it would appear that a modified version of his thumb technique might be helpful in a slow yaw for video as it provides a "stop" for the stick. I'm still of the opinion, however, that an acceptable yaw rate for a slow video pan is very difficult for the Phantom RC controller. That is the reason folks modify the yaw with a potentiometer.

" It may depend on ones definition of "slow consistent yaw" but to me its a nice slow pan in the video."

Correct! That is what I am looking for.

The nice thing about flying in Naza mode, one does not have to think about the direction your tree trimmer is facing any more so you can spend more time thinking about your shots, but the Yaw input is way to high I would love for it to be 25-50% of what it is now. or have that as setting.

A slow yaw rate can be achieved by installing a switch and a potentiometer in line with the existing pot.
I have done this on my controller and by the flick of the switch I can yaw (adjusting the rate with a knob) as slow as I want.
Simple and effective. :)

cougar said:
A slow yaw rate can be achieved by installing a switch and a potentiometer in line with the existing pot.
I have done this on my controller and by the flick of the switch I can yaw (adjusting the rate with a knob) as slow as I want.

Me likes the sound of this!!!!

Care to share a video of how to do?

SpikeFinch said:
cougar said:

Me likes the sound of this!!!!

Care to share a video of how to do?

Here is a link to some mods done by RemE and a great writeup.

Also included 2 photos of my controller.

Link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

Attachments

• TX 1.jpg
    TX 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 680
  • TX 2.jpg
    TX 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 598
Being a life long electronics guy I agree that electronic modification to the controller is a really cool and would definitely give you the best and most repeatable control.
For those who don't plan on modifying their control I have posted a video using the a fore mentioned Russell Brown "patented thumb" approach. My first shot looked like a good rate but you can place your thumb however you want. For me it's good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIQXtZW ... ObwC0HUbmg

I did the mod to the Yaw control the other day.... SWEET!!!!! So much control now!!!!!

I think I am also going to do the camera tilt control...

SpikeFinch, Cougar,
I have spent NO time on a bench, but am intrigued... I have modded my controller with FPVLR's Stage 2 antennae kit. I am not afraid to open 'er up again and do more surgery. But I need details... What exact parts did you order, from where and exactly how are they installed? How much $$$. Any chance you could post a video showing exactly how that is done? Would be greatly appreciated by me and others, I'm sure.

Would love the channel 7 mods too, but unless I a mistaken, this is still not possible on a vision +??

Please let us know....

Thx!

Jeff

I see the parts list, but still confused... Need more details Where to buy, etc...... Have a B.S. in. Mechanical Engineering 25 years ago..., but haven't worked in the field EVER! Lol... Smart, but stupid in many ways...

JeffB said:
SpikeFinch, Cougar,
I have spent NO time on a bench, but am intrigued... I have modded my controller with FPVLR's Stage 2 antennae kit. I am not afraid to open 'er up again and do more surgery. But I need details... What exact parts did you order, from where and exactly how are they installed? How much $$$. Any chance you could post a video showing exactly how that is done? Would be greatly appreciated by me and others, I'm sure.

Would love the channel 7 mods too, but unless I a mistaken, this is still not possible on a vision +??

Please let us know....

Thx!

Jeff

Here is the pot you will need to adjust the Yaw:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... -1015FB103

Here is the knob for the pot:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... ey450-4760

Here is the bypass switch:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... llDownView

At the bottom of this post is a picture of the wiring:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

I made a few changes in how I wired it up. It's the same electrically, but just where I made the connections.

I did not do the tilt yet, I am going to order the parts for that now...

Thx SpikeFinch,

Yeah. I did see all that info from the rcgroups post. I'm just not really good at reading schematics. Was hoping for a step-by-step video tutorial - exactly how it's soldered, wires routed, etc.... Maybe you can shoot some video when you open it up to do the tilt mod. Totally understand if it's a hassle, but would be awesome if you would do it for us... No worries if you can't. . Might order the parts anyway, they are not expensive at all...
So tilt mod works on a v2+??? Maybe I'll do that too....
Thx!
Jeff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl