Slower Rotor/Prop. Normal?

Reaction score
Newbie here with a question for experienced and not so good users.

Chicago is not the windy city. Las Vegas is, and unfortunately is where I live. I just got a Phantom and tried to practice 3 times in the past week, but everyday is a windy day here. I have the Phantom set to GPS while training and seems to work ok. While practicing in a park, I managed to crash a few times. (That little quad is 1 tough mother).

Overall, and considering the wind, the craft seems to be stable and controllable , but hard to tell with wind conditions. I calibrated the IMU and compass and all is fine there.

Now with the concerns/questions:
1) Sometimes, when I start the craft and try to take off, it flips over (With no go pro)
2) I noticed that 1 of the props is slower to start than the others
3) The craft has a hard time staying "put" - Stupid concern, I know. Since it is windy. :)

Are 1 and 2 symptoms normal for the conditions I describe or should I look into a possible rotor damage?

Thanks!

ogmios said:
Now with the concerns/questions:
1) Sometimes, when I start the craft and try to take off, it flips over (With no go pro)
2) I noticed that 1 of the props is slower to start than the others
3) The craft has a hard time staying "put" - Stupid concern, I know. Since it is windy. :)

Are 1 and 2 symptoms normal for the conditions I describe or should I look into a possible rotor damage?

I would be somewhat concerned with these symptoms.
-when it flips, does it seems to flip towards the motor that's slower to start?
-does the slower to start motor get unusually hot?

If either of those occur, you might have a bearing going bad (or a motor having issues).
I experienced similar and at one point my Phantom flew horrendous, to the point i was scared to fly it.
but then I swapped out the motor and it's been good ever since.

as for the wandering, sometimes doing an IMU Advanced Calibration can help with a craft that wanders.

Hi Gizmo,

I will have to check when wind recedes. I will test and see if indeed it flips on the side that has slower rotor and report!

2 test you can do to see if your having motor problems and something that actually should become habit.

First spin each motor before flight, make sure they turn freely and similar to the others, if 1 feels tight, the bearing need lubricating.

Second after each flight touch each motor, they all should be about the same temp. If one is hotter, the bearings need lubricating.

eBay has bearing kits that seem to be another option as well, just look up one's for the 450.
For replacement motors, the Flame 450 are identical to the Phantoms, except red, advantage they cost less.

BTW mine was less than 2 weeks old when I first started experiencing motor problems. It didn't effect flying, but surly would have resulted in a crash if nothing was done.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj