Slow right rotation in flight

Reaction score
New member. Hello!

Been flying for around 2 months. Today I flew in GPS mode for the first time. It wasn't very windy. Probably 8 mph. When flying off a cliff into a gorge instead of going straight the drone slowly turned to the right. I have a Phantom 3 advanced.

When I noticed I swapped to attitude mode and the issue went away. Would this be the wind? When hovering over the gorge it did spin a little there too. Over normal land it didn't. I assumed the gorge was causing a wind tunnel that caused it?

Any ideas what it could be?

Compass was calibrated and no crashes or damage to the drone.

Cheers

New member. Hello!

Been flying for around 2 months. Today I flew in GPS mode for the first time. It wasn't very windy. Probably 8 mph. When flying off a cliff into a gorge instead of going straight the drone slowly turned to the right. I have a Phantom 3 advanced.

When I noticed I swapped to attitude mode and the issue went away. Would this be the wind? When hovering over the gorge it did spin a little there too. Over normal land it didn't. I assumed the gorge was causing a wind tunnel that caused it?

Any ideas what it could be?

Compass was calibrated and no crashes or damage to the drone.

Cheers

Are you not mixing up your modes?

No. Definitely fine in attitude mode but gps mode had the issue. I've never used gps mode before so I don't know if it has always been like that.

Just confirmed with the manual. I was in P mode on the controller. But like I said I've not used that before. I've only used A mode. But I see what your saying as A mode doesn't use gps for stabilisation it would suggest I got confused.

However it does seem to be GPS assisted mode. Any ideas?

Is it possible to trim the control sticks?

When I do a distance run in GPS, it'll eventually lose signal and it'll turn around and come back on its own. A short time later, I'll get the signal back. I'll switch to ATTI mode, wait 3 secs, then switch back to GPS while the controller is at full forward throttle. Frequently the aircraft will shift slightly in direction which I attribute to wind. The shift is something like 1-3 degrees or it may not shift at all. After that minute shift, it flies straight with no more shifts.

Ex. Headed home in RTH headed 145.

I'll go to ATTI for 3 secs, then go back to GPS without moving either of the sticks (right stick is already full forward).

It might shift to heading 143 and if it does, it stays there.

Reactions: Digdat0
Sounds like that is what is happening. In Atti mode, your direction is dictated by the sticks plus wind direction. Once GPS is activated, it takes the wind out of the equation and that results in a different bearing. Might be what is happening in the OP.

Mike

Reactions: canispeaktodave
Some gorges can also produce odd localised magnetic fields. A quick google search would probably indicate whether this may be the case where you were.

Reactions: canispeaktodave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers