Slow coming down

Reaction score
It seams that when flying my Phantom 4 that if I go up to 400 feet or around there that when I come back down it takes a lot longer to get down than it took to get up there. Is that normal or maybe I need to switch to Sport mode to speed things up a little.

It's not able to descend as quickly as it can ascend. That's working as designed.

It seams that when flying my Phantom 4 that if I go up to 400 feet or around there that when I come back down it takes a lot longer to get down than it took to get up there. Is that normal or maybe I need to switch to Sport mode to speed things up a little.
Hi just havin a read,,,mine comes down slow aswell,,rather it b control decent than rapid,,:oops:

Thanks everyone and what you all say makes sense. I don't see how anyone could fly to 500 Meters and still be able to get it back at that speed.

Your Phantom can descend quicker when it's moving horizontally as it's descending. That'll be tough to do though if you're not flying in a wide open location.

I tried shutting the motors down while descending on my first drone, I won't make that mistake again

Descend rate is auto-limited by the craft to avoid entering VRS: Vortex Ring State.

Find video (not from me) explaining at 2'22". Tested with X5C having basic controller not handling VRS.

Use transitional descend where possible as suggested by msinger, as well explained at the end of this video.

Last edited:
I usually fly wide arcing circles when descending from high altitudes, as stated this will bring the bird down much quicker and it more fun that just holding the left stick down. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair