Slow-climbing F550

Reaction score
I just got my F550 assembled and working as my first-ever RC project. (If I never watch another Youtube instructional video it will be too soon.)

The thing flew really nice in my first two test flights, but on the second flight, when I decided to run her through her paces a bit, I gave it full throttle and it barely climbed. Like maybe a leisurely foot-per-second or so. I had flown a friend's Phantom and it climbed like a mother, and I thought the 550 would do this the same. It is stripped down without a gimbal or camera yet, just the simple stock DJI landing gear.

I haven't spent a lot of time in the software yet getting things all customized. Can this make a difference? Any suggestions on setting it up?

Thanks,

David

What battery you using? No less than a 35C battery?? Have you upgraded your firmware? Calibrated your controls?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

I ran a calibration, but am not sure if I did it correctly. I got stuck unable to change the control mode settings, and don't understand them. (Did I mention I'm a total newbie?) My battery is charging right now (sloooowwww charger; waiting for the big one to arrive) but I'm going to try it again.

Here's my kit:
3 cell, 5200, 45C, 11.1V battery
E300 controllers
Standard DJI motors, props
Naza v2

To update firmware, do I do that from the Naza software?

Any pointers you can share on calibrating this?

Thanks!

David

To upload latest firmware to Naza, use the Naza assistant. For the other kit, use the appropriate assistant (iOSD for iOSD, etc). I doubt it is a firmware update issue but updating isn't wrong.

To check for calibration, go to the Naza assistant, View tab. With the 550 and controller hooked up, move your sticks to their full deflection. You should see them move to full deflection on the screen. If not, then calibrate them by going to the Basic screen, RC tab and click on the 'Calibrate' tab and move your sticks to their full position in each direction.

For slow response, you might want to check your gains - the e300 ESCs have been reported to be sensitive to gain values. Go to the Basic main area, Gain tab, and check that your Basic Gain is set at around 130 / 130 / 110 / 120 - My gains are much higher but I'm using the older style ESCs.

And your attitude gain is set around
140 / 140

If your gains are set about right (they don't have to be perfect), then double check that at hover in GPS, your aircraft can maintain altitude hold. If it can, then the vertical gain is supposed to be good enough. If it isn't, then up it (Vertical gain) 10% and do a flight check.

Thanks for the replies. I did the calibration and tried it again, and it was much improved. But I may have been mistaking low performance for merely low battery power. This thing sure goes through a 5200 battery fast. I'm guessing 5 minutes or so.

So now I'm just learning the controls on my short flights between 10 hour battery charges.

David

db4570 said:
Thanks for the replies. I did the calibration and tried it again, and it was much improved. But I may have been mistaking low performance for merely low battery power. This thing sure goes through a 5200 battery fast. I'm guessing 5 minutes or so.

So now I'm just learning the controls on my short flights between 10 hour battery charges.

David

Do you know how heavy your F550 is? I'm getting 8:30 minutes with a 3S 6400 35C Lipo. I'm weighing about 2350 gr.

Here's what my F550 looks like:

F550V2_3_zps05020d7f.jpg

Mine is 1685 g with no payload and the cheap original DJI landing gear.

This morning I tried lifting a 3 lb (1375 g) dumbell weight, just, because. Not a wise experiment. It flew like an anvil, and got about 3' up before crabbing sideways.

David

db4570 said:

This morning I tried lifting a 3 lb (1375 g) dumbell weight, just, because. Not a wise experiment. It flew like an anvil, and got about 3' up before crabbing sideways.

David

You gotta take movies of these things. ;-}

db4570 said:

David

If there's no video....it never happened. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj