Slightly P*$$ed of at DJI

Reaction score
I have owned and sailed several large sailboats in addition to being a fairly high time pilot. I am used to the red lights being on my left and the green ones on my right...and believe me, I know which hand is holding the rock!

Tired of seeing the red and green lights on my Phantom being kittywampus I thought I would open up my Phantom and rectify this stupid DJI method of light recognition for night flying.

It is a MAJOR EFFING effort to reroute the lighting to conform with the Law of the Sea, the FAA, IATA and God only knows how many other agencies that specify when operating at night, the BLOODY RED LIGHT(s) ARE ON THE LEFT AND NOT THE BACK-*** END !!!
:shock: :roll: :evil:

I wondered the same thing, but I do see why they have the green facing the pilot. That may be most owners are not pilots and makes it easy for them. You can just change the lights, but remember there is left and right hand motor controllers.
Also to use NAV lights there can only be two or one showing at any view. The Phantom has two red and two green and would be confusing in some attitude.

fizzviic said:
the BLOODY RED LIGHT(s) ARE ON THE LEFT AND NOT THE BACK-*** END !!!

I think the red lights are in the front, but yeah it took a while to get used to it.

Swap is easy, just have to unscrew, de-solder a few wires and get an extension cable since one will be too short to reach the NAZA controller.....simple, did it to mine long ago.

ElGuano said:
fizzviic said:
the BLOODY RED LIGHT(s) ARE ON THE LEFT AND NOT THE BACK-*** END !!!

I think the red lights are in the front, but yeah it took a while to get used to it.
Yes the red are in the front and the green face the pilot. In other words the front of the Phantom has the red and I fly with the phantom facing forward, that puts the green facing me the pilot. The Phantom is not a aircraft so it does not have position lights. I have many hours in my plane and I do not have a problem with DJIs lighting.

The lights on the Phantom do not affect me, either.

But, when I first got my LRJET type rating, I wondered who in the hell thought it was a good idea to put the N1 gauges on the bottom of the stack?! Bill Lear, that's who.

LJ35 said:
The lights on the Phantom do not affect me, either.

But, when I first got my LRJET type rating, I wondered who in the hell thought it was a good idea to put the N1 gauges on the bottom of the stack?! Bill Lear, that's who.
The same guys that keep putting the AP controller on the bottom stack in GA aircraft?? LOL. It should be at the top.

I changed mine not only to conform to the standard, but when flying at night it's much easier to orient which direction your traveling. Having them front to back at distance, it's hard to tell it it's heading away or toward your. Side to side it's always easy to know, since the lights don't blend together.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl