Slightly Confused On Lens Filters!

Reaction score
Hi, Can you give me advice as to what is the best quality filters available for the P3 ? Im looking to buy a pack which will cover most light conditions. I look Forward to your thoughts...

The best quality filter has yet to be determined (I'm working on a comparison today). You can find a list of commonly used filters here.

Looking forward to msinger's test results for that very variable.

Many of us use the various brands of CPL (polarizing) and Neutral Density usually in 3 pack or 6 pack up to ND8 in the 3 pack and ND 16 and ND32.
I use Polar Pro and I would elaborate but I don't wish to bias msinger's testing or potential influence his findings.

The best quality filter has yet to be determined (I'm working on a comparison today). You can find a list of commonly used filters here.
Will you please post up results ASAP as I would like to view them before purchasing! Thanks a lot..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I agree 100%. I have purchased cheap to expensive (Polar Pro) and the results... ND Filter # to ND Filter # are not consistent for the use. Some just don't handle light well from an angle, some don't handle light well at sunrise/sunset, some have less than perfect optical glass. I look forward to your vid.

Hi, Can you give me advice as to what is the best quality filters available for the P3 ? Im looking to buy a pack which will cover most light conditions. I look Forward to your thoughts...

If you're strapped for cash then the set I used in this video (less than $20 for 3 filters + lens adaptor & lens pen) will help reduce shutter speed, but they are certainly not the best for all situations. The polarizer filter is not bad for everyday use.

Oh, the ND16 filter used in this video cost over $20 by itself & it was the worst of the bunch (imperfections in the glass). As msinger indicated, it's had to recommend one filter that is better than all others.

Are you including the Rainbowers filters in your review?

I don't own the Rainbowers filters.

Reactions: Reed L
Personally, I don't want to use a filter that requires a counterweight. There are too many great filters available that are similar or equal to the weight of the OEM UV filter.

The counterweight isn't required, its just to better balance the camera on its own. Even with the stock DJI filter the lense points down when its not turned on. I think its basically personal preference whether or not to balance it. Even with the weight added, when using 3 filters stacked, its not balanced but I haven't had any issues. I can't see where there would be much difference between the Rainbowers and the Polar Pro with the hood on. Either will have the camera pointing down without the added counterweight. When I get home in a few days I can weigh it for a comparison.

Actually he has it here and then another member did a complete weight also. Post 29 has the pics and post 32 has the weight at 7 grams. But if I remember its actually 6.75... I will double check.
the long expected solution from Rainbowers

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what you have stacked. That post includes the following:

"estimated weight with 2 glass filters without polarizer : 8 grams"

For comparison, the DJI UV filter is 1.4 grams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20