Skylark Tiny OSD III and 5 volts

Reaction score
I am thonking of connecting a Skylark Tiny OSD III to my DJI phantom. the unit runs on 5 Volts. I can add a voltage regulator and two capacitors to my main and bring the voltage to 5 Volts, but the regulator is 1 amp max. Is that enough to power the Skylark Tiny OSD III. I would think it runs on only a few hundred milliamps, but I don't want to guess and case a burn out in the electronics. Anyone know for sure what he power draw is?

Here is what I want to add, and it costs avout 4$ to build

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/50978659/L7 ... -Regulator

Re: Skylark Tiny OSD III and 5 vols

Since efficiency is important, minimum power wasted to heat, I'd either go with an off the shelf regulator like this one or a few dollars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT1117-DC-In-5- ... 3a848e6098

Or use the 5 volt output provided by some of the FPV transmittera (my Immersion 600 mw has 5 V out) or one of your unused Futaba receiver servo outputs - - - you ARE switching over to a Futaba T8J aren't you? :D

bumper

I was considering the Tiny for my Phantom as well, but after looking at both the Tiny III and the Trace IV, I went with the Trace. The Trace has the advantage of powering itself from the current sensor. It's already set up with XT-60 connectors (make sure you don't get the Deans version) so no soldering required -- but I was doing the main board upgrade anyway so I just cut off the XT-60 on the output side and soldered it directly to the main board. Run the input side battery lead directly into the battery compartment and out the door and that becomes your new battery connector.

I like this solution a lot because there's no need to tap +5V off the NAZA for power in addition to wiring in the current sensor as you have to do with the Tiny. Plus the video out on the Trace suppies both +5V and +12V (filtered) to run your camera and/or VTX. The +12V is actually only battery voltage level (there's no way to step it up to true 12V), so some VTX's don't like to be undervolt and will shut off, especially when you apply a lot of power to the motors. However I'm using an Immersion TX which is fine with anything from +7V to +14V, so it works perfectly.

YMMV, but something to think about. :)

That is great. That would solve a lot. Are you happy with yours?

On the f1 which pin is the 5 volts and which is the ground?

thanks phreak! I saw your video before. Very very cool! Great stuff! what a great event to "copterize". The visuals are surreal! Like a fellini movie! keep up the great work! You are amazing!

xstatic said:

I really like the Tiny OSD on the phantom. The amount of info it gives is awesome. The voltage sensor is annoying sometimes but besides that I love it. Make sure to upgrade to the newest firmware and turn the summary info on.

Have you looked at the Remzibi OSD? Any opinion how it would work with the Phantom or why it might not be the best to use. I'm new to quads and the Phantom and just purchased my FPV gear and want to add OSD at some point.

Thanks

Scottd9000 said:
xstatic said:

Scotty, when you hooked everything up, did you keep the dji's gps module or did you replace? I'm about to get my F.S. Attitude system and want to use HobbyKing Tiny OSD III .

I really like the Tiny OSD on the phantom. The amount of info it gives is awesome. The voltage sensor is annoying sometimes but besides that I love it. Make sure to upgrade to the newest firmware and turn the summary info on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan